Velo Viewer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ivo

Today I reached my north-western limit, I've extended my square until the edge of the firing range near Houthalen. So from now on I'll have to expand towards the south (the Ardennes).

Nice LEJOG. If I do it again, it'll be West coast and include Scottish islands.

Alan O

Über Member
Still not walked any yet
I've been thinking about that, and I'd still be happy including sections of a rides where I had to walk as a part of the ride (eg very tough terrain, very steep hills), though thankfully none of my modest collection of squares relies on walking so far.

But looking around the edges, on coastal areas here, there are definitely some squares I could get to at low tide by riding to the coast and then walking out - but I can't help seeing that as a cheat.

(Although, I suppose, if I had the cash it might be a good excuse for a fat bike!)

13 rider

Guru
I've been thinking about that, and I'd still be happy including sections of a rides where I had to walk as a part of the ride (eg very tough terrain, very steep hills), though thankfully none of my modest collection of squares relies on walking so far.

But looking around the edges, on coastal areas here, there are definitely some squares I could get to at low tide by riding to the coast and then walking out - but I can't help seeing that as a cheat.

(Although, I suppose, if I had the cash it might be a good excuse for a fat bike!)
Basically some squares your going to have to walk Im just leaving them for now . Basically under your own power is the general rules . But the thing is with velo viewer you can do it to your standard .If your happy with it it's fine

Alan O

Über Member
Basically some squares your going to have to walk Im just leaving them for now . Basically under your own power is the general rules . But the thing is with velo viewer you can do it to your standard .If your happy with it it's fine
Yeah, I guess so. Maybe it's just that cycling is the only thing I record on Strava, and not walking or running (not that I ever run anywhere). But yes, there's no reason why walkers and runners shouldn't use VeloViewer.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
My rule is if you go through the square under your own power then it is fine. Therefore walking, running, skiing, rowing, paddle boarding, swimming are all allowed.

Alan O

Über Member
Argh, close inspection shows a square that I'm credited with which I haven't been in! It looks like a Strava failure which ended up drawing a straight line between two points has given it to me - and I definitely have to go back and get that one legitimately!

Ivo

I've walked a few squares here which essentially were mountainbike tracks. Using a tourer with 28mm tyres will result in pushing and dragging your bike along.
On a Dutch forum there's quite some debate on how to tackle a few wet squares. Some opt for waiting untill it freezes, others debate canoes.

Alan O

Über Member
On a Dutch forum there's quite some debate on how to tackle a few wet squares. Some opt for waiting untill it freezes, others debate canoes.
Yeah, there's quite a few wet squares round here, along the Mersey estuary and around the Wirral. I'm sure I can get to a few of them at low tide.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
You need one of these

maxresdefault.jpg

Alan O

Über Member
Today's ride was 72 miles and added a total of 27 new squares to take me to 455, and upped my maximum cluster by 11 squares to 118. Before I set out I had a hard time deciding on which return route out of two to go for - one covered just one new square further away from home, while the other covered five new squares closer to home which would add a good few more to the cluster. I resisted the immediate gratification and went for the one further away, on the grounds that it made more sense to get it while I was there, and the ones closer to home are easier to get at a later date.

My next few rides are all group rides over routes I've done before, so my VeloViewer stats are not going to move for a little while now.

Alan O

Über Member
Today's ride was 72 miles and added a total of 27 new squares to take me to 455, and upped my maximum cluster by 11 squares to 118. Before I set out I had a hard time deciding on which return route out of two to go for - one covered just one new square further away from home, while the other covered five new squares closer to home which would add a good few more to the cluster. I resisted the immediate gratification and went for the one further away, on the grounds that it made more sense to get it while I was there, and the ones closer to home are easier to get at a later date.

My next few rides are all group rides over routes I've done before, so my VeloViewer stats are not going to move for a little while now.
Ooh, and I've just seen that two squares near where I was today, one square apart (that is, next door but one), would add another 28 to my max cluster! That's got to be a target for next time I'm round there - I don't have any group rides scheduled for September, so maybe it will become VeloViewer month.

PapaZita

Guru
I resisted the immediate gratification and went for the one further away, on the grounds that it made more sense to get it while I was there, and the ones closer to home are easier to get at a later date.

I like this sort of planning. Rides end up kind of mushroom or jellyfish shaped. I've just been planning a ride over to Bishop's Stortford. It's about 32 miles from St Albans, so there and back should be 70 miles or so, with lots of good squares collected on the way. But I may not be going back that way for a while, so I throw in a few loops and make sure I don't leave too many holes that will necessitate doing essentially the same ride again in the future. Before I know it I'm looking at a 125 mile epic...

Top Bottom