Velo Viewer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Another square filling ride, only 14 squares but it increased the max cluster by another 28 and and gave me 44 squares west to east on the max square.

Now need to decide if I want to go north or south to take it to 44x44. North is more squares but looks easier to do than the south which involves either using the A45 or lots of miles to get squares next to each other.

Someone at worked pointed me at explorer helper for veloviewer, bit basic but good to see the squares on my phone. Will help to know I'm in squares whilst I'm out

PapaZita

Guru
There has been a nice little enhancement to Veloviewer today, where the maps for an individual activity or planned route can show the tiles that have been or will be visited.

There has been a nice little enhancement to Veloviewer today, where the maps for an individual activity or planned route can show the tiles that have been or will be visited.

He just needs to get it to show any new squares against the route and against your current squares

steverob

Guru
There's also a second part added where if you zoom in to maximum on an activity now, you can see where all the GPS plot points are, which is useful to see if/why you did or didn't get a tile.

I had a ride recently where I just grazed the edge of a new tile - literally there is only one road that crosses into the tile and even then, it's really only one side of the road that does just barely - and sure enough I did get it. Now looking back on it, I can see that officially I only recorded four plot points in that tile, so therefore was only over the tile border for four seconds, but it still counts! Had I been in the other lane going the other way, I almost certainly wouldn't have got it.

Alan O

Über Member
I added a modest 11 new tiles today to take my total from 495 to 506. I didn't extend my max cluster, but I'm building up for a potential big future boost with quite a few 1 or 2 tiles islands that would make a big difference.
Ha, I was playing with the new features for individual activity maps, and it's recalculated and removed one of my tiles that was incorrectly credited to me (a straight line plotted by Strava when it was paused had crossed a tile I hadn't entered).

So my tile count has dropped from 506 to 505, and my max cluster from 165 to 157. The tile isn't far away, so I can easily make a quick trip out to get it.

Alan O

Über Member
Ha, I was playing with the new features for individual activity maps, and it's recalculated and removed one of my tiles that was incorrectly credited to me (a straight line plotted by Strava when it was paused had crossed a tile I hadn't entered).

So my tile count has dropped from 506 to 505, and my max cluster from 165 to 157. The tile isn't far away, so I can easily make a quick trip out to get it.
I popped out this morning and regained that tile, to take my totals back up again. But, more importantly, I've been examining things more closely in satellite view and I think I've made a breakthrough discovery...

My big problem has been two tiles just to the east of me, covered by the private (walled and gated) Knowsley Park estate. It struck me a little while ago that I could probably get in to the southern one of the tiles by visiting Knowsley Safari Park - if I cycle there, the areas you can walk around are just into the southeast corner of the tile.

And the northeast corner of the northern tile looks like this...

VVKnowsley.jpg

You can see the tile borders at the top, and the difficult tile is the one on the left. The blue arrow indicates one of the gates of the estate, and there's a fence heading from it along the boundary of the field to the left of the trees. But then I spotted the track indicated by the orange arrow, which doesn't show on maps but is clearly there on the satellite image. And that heads just far enough into the tile, assuming it's as accessible on the ground as it appears from the air.

My max possible square including my home might be a lot bigger than I'd thought!

Top Bottom