Velo Viewer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MichaelO

Veteran
I've used veloviewer for sometime, and been vaguely aware of the tiles/square/cluster scores, but never purposefully gone out my way to maximise them. I've not cycled as much this year as previous years, so I thought about using that as a bit of motivation to up my mileage over the coming months.

I'm starting on 2,552 tiles, max cluster of 199 and max square a paltry 5x5.

I've spotted a few obvious missing tiles locally - they are generally fields, but some have concreted farms tracks running across them. Bag those (this weekend), and my max square should increase pretty rapidly. I have the problem of having London to the North - a clear corridor of 5-8 tiles running from home to work on the commute - not sure I fancy widening that much, so will have to look S/E/W. Adds a bit of something different to planning weekend rides :smile:

There is one annoying square to the East which doesn't appear to have any roads on it at all - could be limiting :sad:

MichaelO

Veteran
Some very obvious single squares to hunt over the coming weeks!! This could get addictive!

Tiles9Nov2018.JPG

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I've used veloviewer for sometime, and been vaguely aware of the tiles/square/cluster scores, but never purposefully gone out my way to maximise them.

Funnily enough I'm in the same position, but today was going out for a ride & was looking at my VV map, noticed a few easy tiles locally so headed out to bag a few. I sometimes go out for 100 miles & only bag 3 or 4, but today did just over 60 miles locally & got 8 new tiles & just missed another. It's boosted my max square from 7x7 to 8x8 :laugh: Not easy when you live on the coast, no tiles to be had east of me :okay:, but my max cluster has gone up from 149 to 193 :smile:. Might see how many more i can bag over winter

MichaelO

Veteran
Funnily enough I'm in the same position, but today was going out for a ride & was looking at my VV map, noticed a few easy tiles locally so headed out to bag a few. I sometimes go out for 100 miles & only bag 3 or 4, but today did just over 60 miles locally & got 8 new tiles & just missed another. It's boosted my max square from 7x7 to 8x8 :laugh: Not easy when you live on the coast, no tiles to be had east of me :okay:, but my max cluster has gone up from 149 to 193 :smile:. Might see how many more i can bag over winter
Did the same yesterday - headed out for a short 2 hour ride, and bagged 3 squares - cluster up from 119-252 (!) and max square 5x5 to 7x7. A perfect winter motivation to get out & find new roads :smile:

I now have a very East-West concentration - need to head South (North is London, so may have to vary the commute into town to bag those).

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Good old explorer ride today. 106 miles bagged me 44 new squares and increased the max cluster by 48.

Total squares 4223; max cluster; 2783; max square 44x44

We are not worthy :notworthy:

Top effort today mate. If I take up swimming I might have a better chance of increasing my max square :laugh:

13 rider

Guru
On my northern edge I have two Cities Nottingham to the East and Derby to the West .Nottingham was the target today .A mixture of busy roads decent cycle paths and some shared paths by the river which were very busy with walkers so slow progress . 17 squares added and 18 to max cluster ! . Total square 3255 max cluster 1419 . Next week onto Derby may see my max square jump by 1 to 31* 31

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
On my northern edge I have two Cities Nottingham to the East and Derby to the West .Nottingham was the target today .A mixture of busy roads decent cycle paths and some shared paths by the river which were very busy with walkers so slow progress . 17 squares added and 18 to max cluster ! . Total square 3255 max cluster 1419 . Next week onto Derby may see my max square jump by 1 to 31* 31

I'm thinking of doing Derby next saturday

Top Bottom