Velo Viewer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
The infographic has been updated, you can now show your cluster, square and tile increase in the year

upload_2018-12-16_19-52-13.png

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Ride out to Tamworth today to grab 8 squares

Ivo

My failed attempt at the Festive 500 in one go at least scored 150 new tiles. So I managed to pass the Swiss guy. Next target is my mate Peter but that'll be hard, he is about 2500 Tiles ahead of me.

Ivo

@Ivo, not sure I'd even contemplate a 500km ride.....what happened?

Crosspost from the Festive 500 thread:

My attempt to get it done in one go went up in smoke. Last week I did a 200 audax under hard conditions. This one was still in my legs. No power and a nagging headwind for the first 160k. Then some proper Flemish hills territory. By the time I arrived at the Zelzate service station I was 1h30 behind schedule and seriously knackerd. I spent far too much time there eating and warming up. That was really needed as halfway between Zelzate and Antwerp the energy drink in my thermobottles had turned to slush. My food was frozen solid. I slogged on to Antwerp, reaching the town 3 hours behind schedule. Time to call it a day because I have to work tomorrow. I decided us the southernly wind and cycle to Breda railway station. Ended there with 366k on Strava.

steverob

Guru
One of my aims for next year is to take my main cluster, which is all the rides that I do from home, centred around Bucks, but spreading into Beds, Oxon and Herts and link it to my slightly smaller London cluster, which has mainly been achieved via a number of central London hire bike rides done while going from one office to another for work purposes, plus participating in RideLondon. That way once the two are linked, any more London rides I do, will actually count towards my main cluster count.

I've worked out that by doing just two or three rides (depending on how circuitous I want to make them), I should be able to make a link from the south east corner of my current cluster (around the Watford/St. Albans area) that's about 4-5 tiles wide all the way down through the NW London suburbs, and that should be enough to turn it all purple. On each occasion, I'll get the train back home once I reach London (having a season ticket makes that a touch easier). However I probably won't actually do the rides until spring, so have plenty of time to plan some good routes.

Ivo

One of my aims for next year is to take my main cluster, which is all the rides that I do from home, centred around Bucks, but spreading into Beds, Oxon and Herts and link it to my slightly smaller London cluster, which has mainly been achieved via a number of central London hire bike rides done while going from one office to another for work purposes, plus participating in RideLondon. That way once the two are linked, any more London rides I do, will actually count towards my main cluster count.

I've worked out that by doing just two or three rides (depending on how circuitous I want to make them), I should be able to make a link from the south east corner of my current cluster (around the Watford/St. Albans area) that's about 4-5 tiles wide all the way down through the NW London suburbs, and that should be enough to turn it all purple. On each occasion, I'll get the train back home once I reach London (having a season ticket makes that a touch easier). However I probably won't actually do the rides until spring, so have plenty of time to plan some good routes.

Depending on wind direction you could either start with the trainride or finish off with it.

@steverob, I'm 2 long rides away from getting my cluster from the East Midlands to London. It's gonna happen in 2019 but will likely need a train journey to the start as I'm missing a lot between Wellingborough and Luton.

wajc

Veteran
Rode my last square grabbing ride of 2018 today so here are my stats for the year

upload_2018-12-30_16-54-21.png

My max square had been stuck on 39x39 since June but I finally got round to getting the one square that I needed recently to get to 40x40. The max square is made up of rides to and from home so minimum ride distance to get any squares is now approaching 100km. One of my other cycling interests is Audax - I've started on another RRTY attempt (this involves riding a minimum 200km ride each calendar month). This will be made up of quite a few DIY by GPS rides giving an ideal opportunity to plan a route of for square grabbing and hopefully complete the Audax challenge as well.

All the best to my fellow square hunters for 2019!

upload_2018-12-30_17-12-31.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-12-30_17-7-53.png
    upload_2018-12-30_17-7-53.png
    150.1 KB · Views: 33

wajc

Veteran
He'll be okay for a while. When the tide goes out at Cleesthorpe you can walk for miles out to sea ^_^

I hadn't thought of that!

However I think I've gone as far east as I want for my max square otherwise I'll start to have issues further south around the wash. Easier to concentrate extending the square south and westwards (I think I can go one further north as well).

PapaZita

Guru
Here’s my end of year report:

A32D9D28-86C5-4538-9829-4A3A8D9E66E1.png

I only started using Strava late last year, and discovered Veloviewer early this year, which explains why my square seems to have grown from almost nothing so quickly. I realised a few weeks ago that there were only a couple of squares, quite close to home, that I hadn’t visited in 2018, so I collected those last week and got myself up to third place on the 2018 max square leaderboard! That leaderboard does seem to favour people who started tile collecting in the year, as there are plenty of boring local tiles that I don’t plan on revisiting in 2019.

D894FA9B-8798-4238-98BC-3C586E369D69.png

My cluster does look embarrassingly square. It’s almost as if building my max square has been my only objective in 2018 :smile:. The edges are getting quite far from home now, so I think in 2019 I’ll focus less on riding along its edges and more on big loops to visit places outside the square.

The one target that I missed this year was to collect all of Hertfordshire. It only needs one or two rides, but I think I’ll save those for the spring.

It has been great fun, and I’ve done loads of rides to nice places that I probably wouldn’t have thought to visit.

Top Bottom