Velo Viewer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Solocle

Über Member
Having got my cluster from Lufbra to London, I'd recommend a series of shorter rides without too many out and back detours. I say this mainly because it can start to get a bit tiring and slow if you're forever turning round. It may have taken me a few more rides to do it this way but was pleasant (apart from the gap in the middle of the country).
Oh yeah, I try to avoid spurs as much as possible for that reason. The Oxford ride is only 14 U-turns, the rest is done with junctions! I find the worst thing I can do when tiling is hit off-road stuff, which is a real drag...

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
View attachment 532312 reached 20x20 yesterday and have to choose between aiming for the bigger goal of filling the M25 or picking of edge tiles to get the square size up. doing about 100-115km for each ride

I have checked today and have also hit 20x20 after this weeks square grabbing outing.

Oh yeah, I try to avoid spurs as much as possible for that reason. The Oxford ride is only 14 U-turns, the rest is done with junctions! I find the worst thing I can do when tiling is hit off-road stuff, which is a real drag...

Definitely agree there. Unless its the only way, I try and avoid any off-road sections

Solocle

Über Member
14 U-turns is a lot of spurs!
Perhaps, but they're generally not long spurs.
1593110876729.png

It's not that dissimilar to the number of control points on an Audax, so nothing too taxing!

Global Nomad

Regular
as long as you don't miss the spurs which on such a ride/goal will be properly annoying. I don't have turn by turn guidance so just following the route on the garmin is usually ok, but spurs can easily be missed. tend to cross check with explorer viewer app, strava on the phone and the every tile app on the garmin - the latter is limited but can be useful to see if a tile has been visited, particulalry when you just dip into it...

Solocle

Über Member
as long as you don't miss the spurs which on such a ride/goal will be properly annoying. I don't have turn by turn guidance so just following the route on the garmin is usually ok, but spurs can easily be missed. tend to cross check with explorer viewer app, strava on the phone and the every tile app on the garmin - the latter is limited but can be useful to see if a tile has been visited, particulalry when you just dip into it...
Yep, I have turn by turn on the Wahoo, and tend to have the map up on such endeavors! My preferred method of ensuring that I hit the tile is ride along the spur until it recalculates, because often it doesn't tell you precisely where you need to turn, and I don't like guessing off a map...

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Perhaps, but they're generally not long spurs.
View attachment 532404
It's not that dissimilar to the number of control points on an Audax, so nothing too taxing!

Why not remove the spur? The road in the middle looks well used and appears to come back onto your route at the bottom.

1593180024873.png

Solocle

Über Member
A slightly different one yesterday...
1593513867939.png

1593513836234.png

1593513923545.png

Grabbed 6 extra tiles with a 12 km run. My mum had a dental appointment in Poole, so couldn't let the chance to fill out a bit go to waste!

It really feels like lockdown is over, running alongside main roads is pretty stinky again.

It's not too difficult to add that little set to my max cluster :smile:

Solocle

Über Member
OK, so I was playing around with the chrome extension...
1593532367685.png

I tweaked the code to show clusters created by new rides! Currently no way of telling whether it's max cluster or not, the main use for such a feature that I can think of would be giving you prospective explorer score and max cluster...

Global Nomad

Regular
nice coding...
i just moved up to 22x22 which currently looks like the limit from riding new tiles on one side of the square, i.e have to get tiles in two directions - north and west

Global Nomad

Regular
out for a longer ride today, grey and a bit rainy until at the furthest point on my ride, in the rain and trying to navigate tracks between fields and non existent public ways I slashed a tyre (25mm tubeless) and despite all attempts could not fix it. end of ride. walked a mile to the nearest village. called a cab, waited 30 mins - the sun had at least come out - and then for the first time ever I was rescued by a taxi and paid £65 for a 32 mile journey home....explorer tiles....worth it? of course!! just need to try and be more careful on the routing, though its not always possible as you all well know. its a long way out to the edge so only got about ten missing tiles/holes but they helped the cluster

Top Bottom