Velo Viewer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wajc

Veteran
Big ride today (200km) to grab 71 squares to the NW of my max square (including 13.5km of tracks more suited to a gravel bike than my old road bike with 23mm tyres)

This takes my max square to 45x45 (first increase since Mar 2019)

I nearly met with disaster 30km from home when I lost the nut from my QR skewar on the rear wheel leaving it totally insecure - I've had trouble with this QR in the past when it has appeared tight but wasn't. I guess it wasn't helped by the amount of rough tracks I'd been on.

Fortunately I had a massive stroke of luck when to my astonishment I discovered the nut 300m back along the route I'd taken in the middle of the road - I really thought that it would have found it's way in to the verge never to be seen again.

1593888707395.png

Global Nomad

Regular
@wajc nice riding, glad you had the luck on your side, perhaps time for a new skewer...

Global Nomad

Regular
picked of some missing tiles to the north after my abandoned ride last week and nudged up to 23x23 and 886 cluster. a small group in the northwest should take it up to 25x 25 before all directions need attention for any growth

Screen Shot 2020-07-06 at 21.57.26.png

Had to pick something up this afternoon so took the long way round to get some squares in Hucknall. Little left of the airfield now which is a shame but I saw the magnificent Bennerley Viaduct again.

100km ride for 10 squares. 5,303 squares, max cluster 2,757.

Solocle

Über Member
1594402522184.png

Up to 429, and some of Dorset's A road hell done. 1 mile on the A35... the guy cycling on the SUP around the roundabout must have thought that I was absolutely bonkers! :wacko:
1594402771686.png

1594402659070.png

1594402822189.png

Just crossed the A31 this time.

Global Nomad

Regular
@Solocle those two tiles to make the link look very tempting....

Global Nomad

Regular
I've done plenty of gravel tracks and paths along fields on my road bike, 25mm tubeless tyres and a few big problems aside, these have been less bad than expected. I more careful and measured approach perhaps and a willingless for a little more jarring ride, but the hunt for tiles is a strong motivator.

steverob

Guru
My first post on here in a VERY long while! (considering I was the person who posted the first reply to the OP)

Finally extended my cluster down to Marlow and just slightly over the Thames for only the second time from home. Most of my other tiles south of the river were ones where my ride started in London, which is not quite as difficult to do!

11 new tiles in total, plus 11 added to the cluster (5 of which were brand new).

If you look carefully, you'll see two little spurs, one to the left of the B482, one to the right, both around Marlow Bottom. This is because the B482 (according to the map anyway) goes almost exactly through the NW corner of the tile, meaning I couldn't tell which one I was going to get, so I decided to take a trip out to add both manually just to be sure!
Animation1.gif

Global Nomad

Regular
@steverob I have realised how important it is to check while on a ride that tiles really are crossed, as you say spurs can be reassuring. I now use both the veloviewer explorer app (phone) and Everytile on my garmin to check that I have really ticked off a square - ride until it changes colour then a bit more to be sure. noting worse than missing a tile when they are all now 40km from home...

Top Bottom