Verbal abuse of elderly people - is it ever justified? I think it is.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
col said:
What you say you believe doesnt matter, I know I wont vebally abuse an oap if they did this to me.

Very possibly you won't. But I still don't believe that you'd avoid saying something in the heat of the moment, even if it was just "Jesus!" or something equally useful. Rather like the OP in this case.
Anyway, regardless of the rights and wrongs of what was said, if it means the daft old fool stops waving his stick around in passing traffic then that's a result as far as I'm concerned. And that's all there is to it, for me.

U

User482

It seems clear that Col is in a minority of one on this issue. I doubt that will make him pause and reflect on his opinion.

col

Legendary Member
Landslide said:
Col, please can you go back to accusing Mags of choreography? At least then I'll know which threads to ignore...

Iv said Im sorry to mags, I was a real prat with him, he is doing what he thinks is best, and I was wrong about him.
Now if you want to ignore certain threads, verbally abusing oaps would be a good one, and perfect do no wrong hippocrits will be another.:becool:

buggi

Bird Saviour
Rigid Raider said:
It's absolutely unforgivable to abuse an elderly person.

you obviously have not met the old bag that lives below me and makes my life and all of my neighbours lives a misery!!!

i used to like old folk until i met her below. she goes out of her way to make everyone's life a misery and then calls out the police and cries in front of them like we are some kind of chavs making her life a misery, when it is in fact the other way around. currently i have the ASBO team investigating me. This is after the housing dept, environmental health dept, and the police (on numerous occasions) have been called out to me and have decided there is no case for me to answer (do these departments not talk to each other???). I've told the ASBO team they are welcome to come out and see me AFTER they have spoken to all these other departments.

Old people are not the defenseless vunerable people they sometimes make themselves out to be. they are a lot tougher than they look. i once (and only once) lost my rag with the old bag because she called the police out. i shouted at her, which made her cry. i had to go out after and i worried about it all day and then my mum said she had seen her and she was happily singing while hanging out her washing. So now i don't shout at her simply for the fact it makes me feel worse than her. I just walk away when she's gobbing off at me for daring to walk down the communal stairway!

i think the OP was perfectly justified. A stick in the face is not a nice thing and the old geeza should know better than to wave a stick around... he's lived long enough.

col

Legendary Member
It does sound like this lady has a problem, is she alone? What about trying to find out if there is something wrong and maybe helping in some way?
Once the departments who investigated you and found nothing to answer to, should then have maybe looked into her actions?

buggi

Bird Saviour
col said:
It does sound like this lady has a problem, is she alone? What about trying to find out if there is something wrong and maybe helping in some way?
Once the departments who investigated you and found nothing to answer to, should then have maybe looked into her actions?

well, yes, this is what i have explained to the ASBO team. the guy rang me back today but i missed his call. i know he is just going to say they are taking it no further but that's not good enough anymore. i am going to ask them what they are going to do about their tenant hassling me and that i want some action taken.

i wouldn't mind but last night i could faintly hear her phone ringing late numerous times but she didn't answer. next thing her son is there banging on her window trying to raise her. said he had rang the house phone and her mobile (granny with a mobile!!!) and there was no answer. i was actually quite concerned for her coz all her lights were on and its unusual for her to go out so i sent him to his sisters to get the key. my neighbour joked with me that "it wouldn't be a bad thing for me if she karked it" and i did give a little smile... not that i would wish it on her but i could see his point (she loves him by the way! he's the only one she likes and he makes more noise than me! but he knows the hassle that me and the previous occupants have had) anyway, she must have been at her sisters because he comes back with her. Like i said, tough ol' bird. she ain't going nowhere ;)

There's me... all concerned, and all she does is call people out on me! Strewth... give me strength.

so yea, sometimes old people deserve abuse! because i reckon she causes all this hassle to get attention off her kids! that's why they never get involved in her complaining about us.

col

Legendary Member
buggi said:
well, yes, this is what i have explained to the ASBO team. the guy rang me back today but i missed his call. i know he is just going to say they are taking it no further but that's not good enough anymore. i am going to ask them what they are going to do about their tenant hassling me and that i want some action taken.

i wouldn't mind but last night i could faintly hear her phone ringing late numerous times but she didn't answer. next thing her son is there banging on her window trying to raise her. said he had rang the house phone and her mobile (granny with a mobile!!!) and there was no answer. i was actually quite concerned for her coz all her lights were on and its unusual for her to go out so i sent him to his sisters to get the key. my neighbour joked with me that "it wouldn't be a bad thing for me if she karked it" and i did give a little smile... not that i would wish it on her but i could see his point (she loves him by the way! he's the only one she likes and he makes more noise than me! but he knows the hassle that me and the previous occupants have had) anyway, she must have been at her sisters because he comes back with her. Like i said, tough ol' bird. she ain't going nowhere ;)

There's me... all concerned, and all she does is call people out on me! Strewth... give me strength.

so yea, sometimes old people deserve abuse! because i reckon she causes all this hassle to get attention off her kids! that's why they never get involved in her complaining about us.

It just that I recognise similar ways from my mother, and she is in the first stages of something with her age, and it comes and goes, so maybe its something similar? But if it is ?the only people that can get her help is her next of kin, but a neighbour being concerned can sometimes draw attention to it. Maybe the people that have spoke to you could mention it to the relevant authority?

buggi

Bird Saviour
Maz said:
Buggi...what's her beef? Why does she call out the cops?

anything from me walking around my own flat or down the communal stairway, to the neighbour pulling up outside her window (main road) while he waits about 30 seconds for a gap in the traffic so he can reverse onto his drive). It's spoiling her view. The first time she phoned them because i was "drilling and hammering at 11pm". in fact, i was actually rollering paint on the walls and had long packed up by the time they had arrived (i packed up at 9, she called them at 11). they didn't even bother to come in a check because they had sat outside for 15 minutes listening to see what i was doing (i was banging... but not that kind LOL ;)). The police are sick of it and don't bother to come anymore.

col said:
It just that I recognise similar ways from my mother, and she is in the first stages of something with her age, and it comes and goes, so maybe its something similar? But if it is ?the only people that can get her help is her next of kin, but a neighbour being concerned can sometimes draw attention to it. Maybe the people that have spoke to you could mention it to the relevant authority?

Same with my nan to be honest (she complained to my mum that her neighbour washed his car and the dirty water ran down the gutter outside HER house... and he apparently has 3 locks on his gate and walks up and down his own passageway at least 3 times a day! GIVE ME STRENGTH!!! ) i mean the thing is, sometimes better the devil you know and all that malarkey, and usually i just let the old bat below me get on with it... but the ASBO team is another matter! they can't prosecute me for walking down a communal stairway in my heels when i go to work surely???? FFS, i have actually had enough now. i've put up with it for 3 years, and i'm not putting up with it anymore

(i think i have hijacked the thread sorry :biggrin:)

Top Bottom