Verbal abuse of elderly people - is it ever justified? I think it is.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

col

Legendary Member
Rhythm Thief said:
Yes, so would I have. Just the same as I'd have said plenty, given the chance, to the doddery old f**wit who pulled out in front of my truck with yards to spare and no warning not so long ago. Just because I didn't hit him doesn't mean I didn't need to let off a little steam, and I assume the OP here felt the same.
Do you apply this laissez - faire attitude to everyone, Col? Do you think "oh, well, he didn't hit me" if a car squeezes past you with inches to spare? Or is it just elderly people? I'm genuinely curious.

Im actually responding to the op, And made my feelings known about verbal abuse in that situation, so you think its ok to verbally abuse the elderly when they make mistakes like this?

col

Legendary Member
User3143 said:
People have to learn col, many moons ago I worked in a supermarket and was over at the PFS (petrol filling station) one very chilly December morning.

In drives this woman who must have been late 60's early 70's. She gets out her car and goes to undo her petrol cap-however it is frozen. She then goes and sprays some WD40 on the key but also to no avail.

I kid you not, she then takes out her lighter, sparks up and holds it under the key for about a second bearing in mind she's about a foot away from the pump.

The woman I was on shift with banged on the window and the woman stopped. She then comes to the door of the kiosk and what did she say
''sorry I didn't realise where I was'' no harm done but because she is old, should I have not said anything?

People who are old think it is their right to f*** up and not be blamed because they are old but the world does not work like that.

Of course not, Iv already said that, we are on about this instance and how he reacted to the pensioner.

Rhythm Thief said:
; after all, if his stick had connected it could easily have sent Betty off under a bus or something, and the fact that it didn't is not the elderly pedestrian's fault.

or

Betty swerves and the car following swerves into the opposite lane into the path of the oncoming school bus who also swerves, hits a wall and the two kids at the top front go through the window and are killed. The tragedy being one was destined to cure cancer and the other was going to be prime minister.

col said:
Im actually responding to the op, And made my feelings known about verbal abuse in that situation, so you think its ok to verbally abuse the elderly when they make mistakes like this?

Who said anything about abuse? It didn't look like abuse to me. But I certainly think that a word or two is understandable in the heat of the moment, if notalways entirely justifiable. Are you telling me you'd react to being narrowly missed by an upswung walking stick with a beatific smile and a "no problem, brother"? Yes, it was a mistake - no one's denied that - but surely you can understand that the OP said something in the heat of the moment?

col

Legendary Member
User3143 said:
You are taking what people are saying out of context, how can you verbally abuse an OAP by saying ''Mind out Mate'' or something similar after He has almost hit you with a walking stick albeit not intentional.

The OAP still should have been more careful.

"You silly old basket! Why can't you be more careful?" doesnt look like Mind out mate to me?
Crackle said:
or

Betty swerves and the car following swerves into the opposite lane into the path of the oncoming school bus who also swerves, hits a wall and the two kids at the top front go through the window and are killed. The tragedy being one was destined to cure cancer and the other was going to be prime minister.

What if's again eh?

col

Legendary Member
Rhythm Thief said:
Who said anything about abuse? It didn't look like abuse to me. But I certainly think that a word or two is understandable in the heat of the moment, if notalways entirely justifiable. Are you telling me you'd react to being narrowly missed by an upswung walking stick with a beatific smile and a "no problem, brother"? Yes, it was a mistake - no one's denied that - but surely you can understand that the OP said something in the heat of the moment?

No I dont think I was saying that? hang on er nope? What makes you think that then?
The title of the thread does, have a look.:wacko:

col

Legendary Member
Rhythm Thief said:
But it's hardly serious abuse either. It's certainly a good bit less than I'd expect to hear if I'd done the same thing.

Again have a look at the title of the thread, there is a clue there.

col said:
What if's again eh?

The wall the bus hits, falls on an American citizen rushing to the secret underground bunker to punch in his Defcon 1 cancellation confirmation code. He's killed and WW3 destroys the earth, all because some bloke waved his stick in greeting: Fecking tragic!

col said:
No I dont think I was saying that? hang on er nope? What makes you think that then?

Well, I didn't entirely understand that - "hang on er nope?" is not a question I'm qualified to answer - but from your previous posts the implication is that you've upbraided Betty S soundly for saying anything at all to this bloke. From which I infer that your own reaction to a similar situation would be to say nothing at all, or to smile and say "never mind, we all make mistakes" or something similar. Both of which are commendable reactions, but I'm not sure that I believe you'd have reacted like that. Or at least, if you do, you're in line for sainthood when you die.

col

Legendary Member
Crackle said:
The wall the bus hits, falls on an American citizen rushing to the secret underground bunker to punch in his Defcon 1 cancellation confirmation code. He's killed and WW3 destroys the earth, all because some bloke waved his stick in greeting: Fecking tragic!

Tsk Bloody thoughtless pensioners eh? :wacko:

col

Legendary Member
Rhythm Thief said:
Well, I didn't entirely understand that - "hang on er nope?" is not a question I'm qualified to answer - but from your previous posts the implication is that you've upbraided Betty S soundly for saying anything at all to this bloke. From which I infer that your own reaction to a similar situation would be to say nothing at all, or to smile and say "never mind, we all make mistakes" or something similar. Both of which are commendable reactions, but I'm not sure that I believe you'd have reacted like that. Or at least, if you do, you're in line for sainthood when you die.

Pretending to not understand what I said is a good one:biggrin: Its almost akin to having a go at my punctuation :wacko:
All things that happen have different reasons, and I hope I react accordingly, especially if it was an oap making a mistake like this one.
What you say you believe doesnt matter, I know I wont vebally abuse an oap if they did this to me.

Top Bottom