Verbal abuse of elderly people - is it ever justified? I think it is.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

col

Legendary Member
ComedyPilot said:
And if you re-read my post, I wrote that if the stick was deliberately swung, then a splash of juice would be justifiable.

What you are saying is that any mistake would be squirted on, which is not what I wrote.

So your now saying he didnt wave it on purpose to say hello to the car? Of course he did, but what he didnt mean was to nearly connect with a passing cyclist.

Now if anyone deliberately swings a stick at you to try and hit you, then thats different, but if it was an elderly gentleman I would question his health and react accordingly.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Headgardener said:
Was it a Midland Red bus:smile:. Seriously though "oi! careful mate" should be all that is required.

That might have been sufficient, but it was yet another incident caused by his poor driving and very slow reaction time. On this occasion the rest of the family agreed with me. I thought that if he could not see a big red bus at a bus stop and react in time, then he really should not be driving.

Fortunately by then, he did not use the car much, nor go very far. But you can still cause serious harm to someone, even if you are only yards from home.

Usually I am very aware of the possibility of others' mistakes, and extremely tolerant, but in this case, it was too serious a matter to let pass without expressing my opinion.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
col said:
So your now saying he didnt wave it on purpose to say hello to the car? Of course he did, but what he didnt mean was to nearly connect with a passing cyclist.

Now if anyone deliberately swings a stick at you to try and hit you, then thats different, but if it was an elderly gentleman I would question his health and react accordingly.

No Col, please re-read the post. I have not changed what I wrote. And I am not saying he did it on purpose. I wrote a mild rebuke for the mistake, and a squirt of juice IF it was deliberate.

I aren't changing anything, just having to explain to someone who hasn't read it properly.

For anyone else but Col, does my earlier post make sense?

col

Legendary Member
ComedyPilot said:
Well, a little bit of thought went into it. They saw a person they knew driving a passing car. They then thought, 'Hey, that's Joe Bloggs, I'll wave my stick at them in acknowledgement'

Where the lack of thought (and any risk assessment) came in was about the length of the stick, its arcing radius when waved, and the proximity of what might be hit in the ensuing waving motion, i.e the passing cyclist.

I said mild rebuke, you said telling off. Potato/potarto/tomato/tomarto.

In life we gain experience and learn things. If the old person has got to this point in life without understanding the physics of moving objects and their affect on obejcts in their proximity, then yes, they should be told. How else will they learn?
People in general (not just old people) give little hindsight to their movements. For example Col, how many times have you gone to pass someone in the street/supermarket etc, and they've just turned in front of you without looking? I do them all the time, they're called life-savers, a quick glance over the shoulder before you go. Obviously not as critical in the street, but symptomatic of someone with no spacial awareness, or aforthought to their actions impeding someone else.

I do them all the time, was taught to when I learnt to ride a bike/motorbike/fly/ski/skydive. You are about to go in a certain direction - how about LOOKING to see if it's clear? Same principle with waving a stick IMO.

If you've got to the ripe old age you got to last week without this happening, then you've been lucky.

This is exactly what's happened. The old bloke has not looked at all and just waved the stick. If he had looked, seen the cyclist and still done it, then perhaps a shower of juice from a drinks bottle might have been more appropriate.

You need to understand that an elderly person may have learned more than you or I are capable of, but as they get older sometimes forget things, like I said, allowances are needed.

col

Legendary Member
ComedyPilot said:
And if you re-read my post, I wrote that if the stick was deliberately swung, then a splash of juice would be justifiable.

What you are saying is that any mistake would be squirted on, which is not what I wrote.

So which or what type of mistake warrants a soaking then?

col

Legendary Member
User3143 said:
You are right upto a point col. I give allowance to most people regardless of age. However there comes a point when enough is enough and regardless of age something has to be said.

Like I have said, of course something needs to be said sometimes, but not in the circumstance of this op.

col

Legendary Member
ComedyPilot said:
No mistake would warrant the squirt, but the deliberate act would.

I said the mistake would justify a mild rebuke.

Someone carelessly swinging a stick around that almost hit me would get an, "Oi, watch out".

That is what I would call a mild rebuke

Ok so what has the deliberate act of hitting you with a stick got to do with the op ? As usual other things are brought into a relatively easy question, I was being awkward.:sad::smile:

Yorkshireman

col said:
Ok so what has the deliberate act of hitting you with a stick got to do with the op ? As usual other things are brought into a relatively easy question, I was being awkward.:smile::biggrin:

Practicing for old age/retirement? :sad:

col

Legendary Member
Yorkshireman said:
Practicing for old age/retirement? :sad:

Oh yes , :biggrin:, It s just that a total different thing ends up being discussed than the origional question, so thought i would stretch it a little.:smile:

col

Legendary Member
betty swollocks said:
So you've been on the wind-up then :sad:? Or are you saying you were because you've been beaten?:smile:

No I was treating his posts as if they were something to do with the op of this thread.
But I still think your verbal abuse of an elderly person is terrible, especially with it being a mistake. Think before you open your mouth with an elderly person.

Top Bottom