Verbal abuse of elderly people - is it ever justified? I think it is.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
betty swollocks

betty swollocks

large member
col said:
So, verbal abuse, is it ever justified in the context of this op?:sad:

Yes. I've said that I believe it is. Considering my brains (such as they are) were nearly dashed out, I think the elderly gent got off pretty damn lightly................and my rebuke was quoted verbatim: basket = basket.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Not popped in on this - the OAP was in the wrong, but they are way off the mark for judging anything..... I'd just shout "Wow"......

Poor judgement - just like the 'head down cross street'.....cars, HGV's will stop....

Not much you can do..thank goodness they weren't behind a wheel.......

col

Legendary Member
betty swollocks said:
Yes. I've said that I believe it is. Considering my brains (such as they are) were nearly dashed out, I think the elderly gent got off pretty damn lightly................and my rebuke was quoted verbatim: basket = basket.

Your brains dashed out? More like a glancing marshmallow, how over the top is that of you? He got off lightly for making that terrible mistake? What else would you have said on hindsite?

OP
OP
betty swollocks

betty swollocks

large member
col said:
. Think before you open your mouth with an elderly person.

yes col.
I'm elderly too. Please don't tell an elderly person what to do.
Remember, they have a lifetime of experiences behind them.

'The weight of this sad time we must obey;
Speak what we feel, not what we ought to say.
The oldest hath borne most: we that are young
Shall never see so much, nor live so long'
-closing lines from King Lear

col

Legendary Member
betty swollocks said:
yes col.
I'm elderly too. Please don't tell an elderly person what to do.
Remember, they have a lifetime of experiences behind them.

'The weight of this sad time we must obey;
Speak what we feel, not what we ought to say.
The oldest hath borne most: we that are young
Shall never see so much, nor live so long'
-closing lines from King Lear

Oh dear , so you think all elderly age the same do you? You will learn eventually.:ohmy:

OP
OP
betty swollocks

betty swollocks

large member
col said:
Your brains dashed out? More like a glancing marshmallow, how over the top is that of you? He got off lightly for making that terrible mistake? What else would you have said on hindsite?

I was going I would say about 12 mph. You want to get hit in the head by a walking stick with a large rubber bung on the end being swung upwards towards you at that speed? And this doesn't take into account the force and speed of the stick. Be like a glancing marshmallow would it?
Try it and see. I'll help with the experiment :ohmy:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Blinkin' 'eck, 73 posts on 'someone nearly hit someone else'. Only on CycleChat, eh?:ohmy:

col

Legendary Member
betty swollocks said:
I was going I would say about 12 mph. You want to get hit in the head by a walking stick with a large rubber bung on the end being swung upwards towards you at that speed? And this doesn't take into account the force and speed of the stick. Be like a glancing marshmallow would it?
Try it and see. I'll help with the experiment :ohmy:

So you want me to hit you with a walking stick at 12 mph? Ok then:biggrin:

col

Legendary Member
Rhythm Thief said:
The guy was clearly careless and thoughtless, old or not. I'd have probably had a mild go at him too; after all, if his stick had connected it could easily have sent Betty off under a bus or something, and the fact that it didn't is not the elderly pedestrian's fault.

A bus, or a train maybe, or how about the local army camps tank?:ohmy:
Truth of the matter is he didnt get touched, but still needed to say something.

col said:
A bus, or a train maybe, or how about the local army camps tank?:ohmy:
Truth of the matter is he didnt get touched, but still needed to say something.

Yes, so would I have. Just the same as I'd have said plenty, given the chance, to the doddery old f**wit who pulled out in front of my truck with yards to spare and no warning not so long ago. Just because I didn't hit him doesn't mean I didn't need to let off a little steam, and I assume the OP here felt the same.
Do you apply this laissez - faire attitude to everyone, Col? Do you think "oh, well, he didn't hit me" if a car squeezes past you with inches to spare? Or is it just elderly people? I'm genuinely curious.

Rhythm Thief said:
Yes, so would I have. Just the same as I'd have said plenty, given the chance, to the doddery old f**wit who pulled out in front of my truck with yards to spare and no warning not so long ago. Just because I didn't hit him doesn't mean I didn't need to let off a little steam, and I assume the OP here felt the same.
Do you apply this laissez - faire attitude to everyone, Col? Do you think "oh, well, he didn't hit me" if a car squeezes past you with inches to spare? Or is it just elderly people? I'm genuinely curious.
How about a near miss from a car driven by an elderly person? With his dolly bird lobbing Werthers Originals out of the window at you? Have they earned the right, eh? Well, have they?

Top Bottom