very near miss tonight - considering calling it a day !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Wang ba dan
I've shouted that many times at people that have done something daft on the roads.

classic33

Leg End Member
You're many, many times more likely to die through illness brought about by lack of exercise.
Cod.jpg

http://www.nsc.org/learn/safety-knowledge/Pages/injury-facts-chart.aspx

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
Those stats are dying - which I accept are good odds for a cyclist. The stats for a life changing injury I believe are around the same for a cyclist as a motorcyclist.

Thinking with a clearer head this morning, I don't think the driver of the car had slightest idea she nearly caused an accident. As I appeared out of nowhere in her side window as she was mid 3 point turn, it makes more sense for her to be saying "Im going down there" - she thought the issue was that I couldn't get past ! - not that I nearly walloped into the side of her !

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Being bitten or struck by a dog 1 in 112,400

Bitten or struck? Presumably by a boxer?

Although further research shows that International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems does contain a specific code W54.1 "Struck by dog"

Home > 2017 ICD-10-CM Diagnosis Codes > External causes of morbidity V00-Y99 > Exposure to animate mechanical forces W50-W64 > Contact with dog W54-

Tin Pot

Guru
On my commute on the way home tonight. I was about descend a steep but straight hill, was preparing to go down on the drops but then for some reason decided not to - spotted a car start of to pull out and start a 3 point turn I was literally shouting "no, no, no," I braced for impact - I was going into the side of that f...r - slammed the anchors on, god knows how I didn't go over the bars - amazingly I stopped millimetres from the car (i may even have touched it) a heated exchange of words followed, I didn't get the usual smidsy, what I think she was trying to say was that 'she was looking the other way' - she wouldn't wind her window down - an apology may have been good.
I rolled down the hill - stopped and got my shoot together - cycled home.
Im contemplating chucking TBH - Im 53 now and have had 30 good years cycling - I have booked a closed road sportive for September - what I was (am) really looking forward to - but that might be it...

Had this happen so many times! Ha ha, I can laugh now, but I know it's not funny at the time.

You are permitted to stop road cycling *only* if you take ten drivers off the road with you.

That's the rule.

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
Being bitten or struck by a dog 1 in 112,400

Bitten or struck? Presumably by a boxer?

Although further research shows that International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems does contain a specific code W54.1 "Struck by dog"

Home > 2017 ICD-10-CM Diagnosis Codes > External causes of morbidity V00-Y99 > Exposure to animate mechanical forces W50-W64 > Contact with dog W54-

Note sure of those stats - are they the odds of a such a thing happening or dying from such a thing.
For example is the 1-7 Heart attack \ cancer - the odds of getting such a thing - or the odds of surviving it - if you do ?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Note sure of those stats - are they the odds of a such a thing happening or dying from such a thing.
For example is the 1-7 Heart attack \ cancer - the odds of getting such a thing - or the odds of surviving it - if you do ?
They are causes of death.

The website says "That being said, if the odds of dying from all possible causes are 1 in 1, here are the lifetime odds of death for selected causes, from most likely to least:"
That suggests they are the odds of what will ultimately appear on your death certificate, for selected causes.

But hang on ... if you add up all the odds in that table you only get 22% (about 1 in 4) So the chances are that it will not be one of those selected things. Meaning that 78% of Americans die from something else, not on the list. Or else I've misunderstood it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom