very near miss tonight - considering calling it a day !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
I need a new rim on my commuter - I keep hoping for someone to pull out to I can hit them and get them to pay, but it seems like the buggers around here are being too careful at the moment. Knowing my luck, I will get hit front behind, that wheel is fine.

A day trip to selly oak birmingham seems in order !

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Enough
Any good webcams for under £100 anyone ?

Personally, I think webcams may be of use if you are in an accident. If you remember to turn it on for every trip and if the police will accept it as evidence. But I think they are pointless for putting on social media sites. Some people seem to put them on their bikes and go looking for trouble.

Sorry to hear about your near miss experience, it happens to us all sooner or later, although the careless and thrill seekers among us will experience these more of often than others. A camera might be helpful in the aftermath of an accident, but it won't keep you safe. Perversely it may even encourage you to take more risks, as you feel that you will have evidence of the wrong doing of others, rather than take a more defensive approach to cycling. You see this time and again on the web footage on youtube. That said, cams don't turn us all into jackass thrill seekers and risk takers, you weight it up, personally, cycling for me is a convenient form of transport, if I make it more difficult by having to maintain another gadget, I may just pack it in. Who needs one more thing to attach and recharge. I'll echo what others have said, it's better to be alive, than righteous and dead.

Just remember that we have lots of near misses in life, and not just on the bike. Most of your near messes might go right over your head. All it takes is a misplaced step at the top of a flight of stairs, would you sell up and get a bungalow? A lorry driver having a micro sleep in their cab, would you stop driving? What if you slipped climbing in or out of the bath, would you stop washing? We all want to control and mitigate risk where possible, but it has to be kept in check with the actual risk of death or serious injury accruing in any given day. I would encourage you not to give up on commuting, but instead use your experience as an opportunity to reflect on what you might do differently next time.

This is not to say this is your fault in any way, but scrubbing off a little speed when there are cars parked on the side of the road is probably a good idea if it means you can stop sooner. Look into the energy differences of travelling at 20mph vs 15, then 15 vs 10. It's quite illuminating. Zipping downhill on a quiet and straight rural wide road vs a bendy narrow urban road require different riding styles, throw in a wealth of unexpected urban hazards and idiots in cars and you've got a whole new kettle of fish. Personally my first near miss experience was going UPHILL and at some pace, I nearly went over my handlebars when a box van pulled out of a junction without warning, me almost going under the front. Not pleasant, but lessons learned. I ride much more conservatively nowadays, half expecting some moron to pull into or out of a junction as I'm passing at any moment.

In fact, moments before writing this I nipped to the bank to close my Help to Buy ISA and a taxi driver pulled out at a mini roundabout I pass every day. It's happened to me many times before in the same spot. I expect it. I ride accordingly. I stopped in a controlled and safe manner. Sure, the taxi driver was on the receiving end of some strong words, but fortunately he didn't have his day ruined with a death on his conscience. I would have the right to barrel through at 20mph if I wanted to, I had right of way, but it wouldn't have done me any favours. Learning a defensive riding style so important.

Last edited:

gaijintendo

Veteran
Seems on topic; I have a fly6 as a bonus rear light. The one time in the last year I re-watched a video I noted two things:

1. Almost impossible to read a registration plate in twilight lighting.
2. Scarily close looks like miles away if you are a teensy camera lens.

I had a car go head on to me a few years ago. He decided to overtake someone despite me being there. As I waved to get hi attention (well I didn't think of anything else in the moment) his car passed under my arm at 70mph.
I didn't want to ride for ages, and when I started again I avoided that road. Then one day I just thought why should a piece of shoot like that spoil my enjoyment?
There will be more without doubt - just take a look at how some driving instructors drive!

macp

Guru
I'm 51 and recently managed to NOT stop millimetres from an Astra. Escaped lightly myself, my bike didn't. It really shakes you up.
I've no intention of ever stopping cycling, despite the pressure from family members who seem to think going out on your bike presents the same risks as dancing blindfolded wearing big boots across a minefield.
One concession I've made as I've got older is with route planning. I will put an extra few miles onto a journey in order to avoid heavy traffic or dangerous stretches.
Don't let one knob head stop you riding, and, you didn't get you or your bike smashed up! Let the shock and anger subside, see how you feel then.
This >
I have even started using different routes where in the past I would steadfastly refuse to give in. Its pretty much always going to be me that will come off worse.

davidphilips

Veteran
After every near miss, fall of a bike, riding into wind, rain and heavy traffic i consider giving up cycling for at least an hour.

After 30 years as a cyclist you may well be the same, consider a flashing light at the front of your bike in day time but main thing is just get back on your bike and have fun.

Lonestar

Veteran
After every near miss, fall of a bike, riding into wind, rain and heavy traffic i consider giving up cycling for at least an hour.

After 30 years as a cyclist you may well be the same, consider a flashing light at the front of your bike in day time but main thing is just get back on your bike and have fun.

Actually I don't but there are roads I avoid.

I try and cover all the bases but if I have to cycle at 1mph there isn't going to be a lot of point to it.

Top Bottom