[very OT] Football: Manchester City

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

Is there anyone else that is finding Manchester City's spending spree just a little sickening? I have a sneaking suspicion that I'll be allowing myself to smile just a little if the 'purchase to victory' strategy fails.

Sure, other teams have paid big bucks for players but it pales in comparison.

Keith Oates

Janner
They are following the example of Chelsea to try and get rid of the football blues!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
Y

yello

True, it does seem more money than sense. Adebayor for £25M? Wenger will be happy with that!

scook94

Veteran
I'm finding the spending very interesting. I still think that without the right manager it's not going to pay off, I just don't see Mark Hughes as the right manager....

Wigsie

Nincompoop
scook94 said:
I'm finding the spending very interesting. I still think that without the right manager it's not going to pay off, I just don't see Mark Hughes as the right manager....

I totally agree, its kind of like building a bike (ok, bear with me & use your imagination) you could spend a fortune on the frame but if you use crappy wheels and components you will never have the best complete setup!

Mark Hughes IMO could be a great manager, but he is 10 years off the experience needed to control all those players and turn it into a great team.

Rob S

Manchester City's spending is perfectly reasonable....an average club that's owned by a multi-billionaire that wants to improve. And what players have they bought....not exactly superstars of the game....though Tevez will be good.
What is sickening is Real Madrid paying a total of £136 million for two players over the course of a week.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
I have a private laugh to myself at the thousands of people who can barely afford it, that week in week out buy tickets and shirts etc, to finance a bunch of prima donnas and their extravagant lifestyles (& WAGs).

What do they get in return? A few fleeting glimpses of perfunctory raised hand claps before they disappear into the tunnel.

OP
OP
Y

yello

Rob S said:
What is sickening is Real Madrid paying a total of £136 million for two players over the course of a week.

Too true. But then Real Madrid have always been a law unto themselves!

PaulB

Legendary Member
ComedyPilot said:
I have a private laugh to myself at the thousands of people who can barely afford it, that week in week out buy tickets and shirts etc, to finance a bunch of prima donnas and their extravagant lifestyles (& WAGs).

What do they get in return? A few fleeting glimpses of perfunctory raised hand claps before they disappear into the tunnel.

I can afford it and I adore it. There's nothing like the thrill of that big-match atmosphere and if God was to offer me a chance to re-live anything, I'd chose that magical six minutes in Istanbul that changed the world forever. Personally, I have a chuckle to myself at all those people who don't go to live football as they are missing so much that is good about life.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
PaulB said:
I can afford it and I adore it. There's nothing like the thrill of that big-match atmosphere and if God was to offer me a chance to re-live anything, I'd chose that magical six minutes in Istanbul that changed the world forever. Personally, I have a chuckle to myself at all those people who don't go to live football as they are missing so much that is good about life.

Yes, the chance for a sharpened 50p to hit you on the head, and for some drunken idiot to piss down your back through a rolled up newspaper. :evil:

PaulB

Legendary Member
ComedyPilot said:
Yes, the chance for a sharpened 50p to hit you on the head, and for some drunken idiot to piss down your back through a rolled up newspaper. :evil:

And in the 45 years I've been going to watch football have happened to me precisely never.

Top Bottom