Very quick tyre question!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Yes

Not really ime :smile:

Yes you can, it may feel a tad twitchy at first, and the ride may feel harsher depending what psi you run. I run 23's on my C'dale and 25's on my winter bike. Wouldn't use 25's on the C'dale, but would use 23's on my winter bike. In fact I think I'll have to swop the winter bikes tyres, I've got a new frame coming in the next few days and I'm not sure it's got clearance for 25's and full guards.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
The important factor is your rim. You can put a 25mm tyre on a 17mm wide rim but you shouldn't put a 23mm tyre on that rim.
What model is your rim and we can confirm for sure if it is safe.

OP
OP
pepecat

pepecat

Eeeeee..... there's a question. Ummmm. Dunno, is the short answer to that.
It's a trek 1.2 wsd 2009 (white / silver / red ish). The spec just says 'Alloy hubs; Bontrager Approved alloy rims'
Short of going and measuring, how do i find out?

OP
OP
pepecat

pepecat

(scratches head)
Am confused. Read mr brown's article, and the one on measuring rim size but am none the wiser..... When he talks about measuring rim size, it's the diameter. But I know that already....
So. Question. Presumably I need to know the rim width, yes? And the way to do this would be to take the tyre and tube off so I have just the wheel. And then looking into the bit where the tube sits there's a channel (referred to as the rim channel by mr brown) and the two side 'walls'. Am I measuring the width of the channel, or the height of the 'walls'? Or neither? Or both?!

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I can't imagine a trek road bike would be built with 17mm rims, they're more audax/fast tourer size (in fact many manufacturers seem to miss out 17mm all together and go straight from 15 to 19mm). I'd bet on them being 15mm rims which should accommodate 23mm tyres quite happily.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
(scratches head)
Am confused. Read mr brown's article, and the one on measuring rim size but am none the wiser..... When he talks about measuring rim size, it's the diameter. But I know that already....
So. Question. Presumably I need to know the rim width, yes? And the way to do this would be to take the tyre and tube off so I have just the wheel. And then looking into the bit where the tube sits there's a channel (referred to as the rim channel by mr brown) and the two side 'walls'. Am I measuring the width of the channel, or the height of the 'walls'? Or neither? Or both?!
You measure the distance between the two rim walls. from the interior.

OP
OP
pepecat

pepecat

Ahhhhh..... just been into the garage and inspected the wheel - there is a little sticker on the outisde of the rim that gives the size - 622 (which is know is the 700 that we're all familiar with) x 15. So i'm good to go with 700 x 23 tyres then?

ok, i'll admit i'm asking this cos i'm fed up with black tyres and want some bright red schwalbe ultremo zx ones..... but they only come in 700 x 23. So it's pretty much all cosmetic really.... :blush:

Enw.nigel

[quote="pepecat, post: 1668352, member: 12306"
ok, i'll admit i'm asking this cos i'm fed up with black tyres and want some bright red schwalbe ultremo zx ones..... but they only come in 700 x 23. So it's pretty much all cosmetic really.... :blush:[/quote]

Don't blame you. I have the Schwalbe Ultremo zx in black with the red stripe. Just what I need to complement my bike colours

PpPete

Legendary Member
Ahhhhh..... just been into the garage and inspected the wheel - there is a little sticker on the outisde of the rim that gives the size - 622 (which is know is the 700 that we're all familiar with) x 15. So i'm good to go with 700 x 23 tyres then?

No worries, then.
Except with skinny black tyres and a red stripe you have to pedal faster....it's the LEUR !

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
yes. 25mm tyres are fat and ugly. 23mm tyres are beautiful - to quote Leone Battista Alberti, the famous renaissance cyclist, 'nothing may be added yet nothing taken away'.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV

ok, i'll admit i'm asking this cos i'm fed up with black tyres and want some bright red schwalbe ultremo zx ones..... but they only come in 700 x 23. So it's pretty much all cosmetic really.... :blush:
You will be fine with 23's on that :smile:

Top Bottom