Very Saddle Sore

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Irishrich

Über Member
I've had my new/first road bike for 2 weeks and have taken advice about what kit is essential and the correct clothing to wear however I can't seem to get rid of the pain that comes from being on the saddle even after a very short ride of 10 miles or less. I usually clock up 20-25 miles each ride on my Specialized Secteur road bike but I'm dreading going out anymore this week as it's just too painful. I have padded shorts but they don't seem to be having a very big impact on comfort in the saddle.

Firstly, is it my position on the saddle as I can sometimes slide forward after a few miles and have to keep pushing myself back on the saddle or secondly, is it because I won't get used to such a firm saddle? Any help is much appreciated as it's really affecting my desire to go out riding and I love my bike.

Cheshire Celt

Legend
It's taken me about 6 weeks to get my butt used to the saddle

Fubar

Guru
Have you tried adjusting the height/tilt of the saddle? Can make a big difference. otherwise you may need to rest "it" for a few days and give it another go, generally if I'm off the bike for any length of time the first time back I am sore for a few days - bit of rest and the next ride is not so bad.

daSmirnov

If you're finding yourself sliding forward, angle the saddle nose up a notch or two.

How many rides have you done? It isn't unusual for the first few rides on a saddle to be a tad uncomfortable.

D

Deleted member 1258

It'll take a few weeks for your arse to harden up, but its worth checking your bike set up, sounds from your description that your saddle might be a bit nose down, start with the saddle level and make any small adjustments you need to make yourself comfortable.

http://www.caree.org/bike101bikefit.htm

hero of valour

i have a secteur and i changed my seat to my old one and it got a tad better. i rub a generous amount of sudocrem on the sore area/s and its been fine since....i think you just need to break it in and get some cream!

OP
OP
Irishrich

Irishrich

Über Member
I have done about 4 rides per week, so thats 8 in total, averaging about 20 miles a time. Pain seems to be getting worse so maybe i need to rest it for a day or two.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
When I bought my last bike the saddle it arrived with just didn't work for me, and I was used to riding regularly. I ended up temporarily moving the saddle off my old bike onto the new until I could get a replacement. However by that stage I had quite a tender backside which needed a week off the bike to recover.

What I'm trying to say is sometimes it isn't just a case of getting used to a saddle and that you might need to give it a break for a short while.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
It'll take a few weeks for your arse to harden up, but its worth checking your bike set up, sounds from your description that your saddle might be a bit nose down, start with the saddle level and make any small adjustments you need to make yourself comfortable.

http://www.caree.org/bike101bikefit.htm
Thats a good site, the link to my fave jim langley bike fit is also worth a look at , if your always sliding forward on the saddle after you have got it set up right it could mean that the reach to the handlebars is to far and your scooting forward to counteract this, but i would check your saddle height, setback and angle 1st.The best way is to bung a spirit level on it as its suprising how much difference a few degrees can make and a few mm up/down/forwards/backwards can alter the comfort.
http://www.jimlangley.net/crank/bikefit.html

D

Deleted member 1258

Thats a good site, the link to my fave jim langley bike fit is also worth a look at , if your always sliding forward on the saddle after you have got it set up right it could mean that the reach to the handlebars is to far and your scooting forward to counteract this, but i would check your saddle height, setback and angle 1st.The best way is to bung a spirit level on it as its suprising how much difference a few degrees can make and a few mm up/down/forwards/backwards can alter the comfort.
http://www.jimlangley.net/crank/bikefit.html

I've got the Jim Langley site book marked as well, plus a few others.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
On longer rides with gel covers, the gel apparently "migrates" into areas where you don't want pressure. I've never used one myself, but it kind of makes sense, as your @rse moves around on the saddle whilst riding, it pushes the gel around until it's exactly where you don't want it.

Top Bottom