Vibrant bike colours

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My bikes are all colourful ! I do insist on black grips/bar tape and saddles as with a bit of 'use' the contact points look grubby, and we can't be having that.

Smudge

Veteran
I've always preferred more conservative colours, on my bikes, motorcycles and cars. These colours never date like bright loud colours. They're also less conspicuous when locked up in town.
I don't mind coloured accents, but i prefer the main colours to be black or black with white, or any metallic or gloss dark colours.
All my bikes have understated colours that i never tire of.... with the exception on one that is bright neon red and tbh the colour grates on me and i'm tempted to get rid of it.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Dull colours are less "polarising" to tastes so should appeal to a wider range of buyers. Living in France in the mid 80s I noticed that most cars were silver, grey or black whereas in Britain we were still buying browns and reds. We've caught up now and you seldom see red.

Green, I like green
20200303_125439.jpg

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
I rather like the idea of personalising bikes with imaginative colour schemes ... if only to make them easier to spot if anyone tries to sell them on after stealing them. I once toyed with the idea of olive drab with Wiggo style roundels and pale blue under surfaces and some back and white stripes on the top tube .... a bit like a Spitfire. The trouble is, my bike looks too nice as it already is:

My next thought to make it unique was to increase the length of the cream colouring on the top tube and have some stickers or sign writing done and covered with a sheet of helicopter tape. I thought it might be nice to add the names of some of the biggest climbs I've done, or something like that, but I can't find any company advertising free-format stickers along those lines.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
For my sins I do own two mostly black bikes, both gloss (matte looks even worse in my opinion). Although one has yellow flashes and bar tape. It wasn't that I liked the colour black, it just happened to be the right bike at the right price at the time and there was no real choice on frame colour.

Globalti is right that colour polarises, but I much prefer a vibrant bike, definitely. My wife has a white Giant, daughter has a purple Carrera, and I have an orange Genesis, they're much nicer to look at than a black bike.

20200211_165609.jpg

vickster

Legendary Member
For my sins I do own two mostly black bikes, both gloss (matte looks even worse in my opinion). Although one has yellow flashes and bar tape. It wasn't that I liked the colour black, it just happened to be the right bike at the right price at the time and there was no real choice on frame colour.

Globalti is right that colour polarises, but I much prefer a vibrant bike, definitely. My wife has a white Giant, daughter has a purple Carrera, and I have an orange Genesis, they're much nicer to look at than a black bike.

View attachment 506836
You need to lose the black tape on that...silver looks fantastic ;)

kapelmuur

Veteran
I like bright colours, my Ridley Apex was bought simply because I liked the bright yellow finish.

I also like the classic bike manufacturers having special colours; Wilier copper, Bianchi celeste, Bottecchia blue etc.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I rather like the idea of personalising bikes with imaginative colour schemes ... if only to make them easier to spot if anyone tries to sell them on after stealing them. I once toyed with the idea of olive drab with Wiggo style roundels and pale blue under surfaces and some back and white stripes on the top tube .... a bit like a Spitfire. The trouble is, my bike looks too nice as it already is:
View attachment 506834
My next thought to make it unique was to increase the length of the cream colouring on the top tube and have some stickers or sign writing done and covered with a sheet of helicopter tape. I thought it might be nice to add the names of some of the biggest climbs I've done, or something like that, but I can't find any company advertising free-format stickers along those lines.
Get in touch with Neil at Atlantic Boulevard in Bury, he makes transfers in any design.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Most of us on here live in Northern Europe, where there are many months of the year that are drab, grey and overcast. Yet given that, the prevailing colour choice for cars and clothing seems to be for Grey's and Blacks and other muted colours which only serves to make things even gloomier, I really don't get it.

So I'm all for bright colours on my clothes and bikes. My Kona is a particularly bright and fetching matt pale blue. I love it, and it really brightens up my winter's day riding it and looking at it. (Ok, I might be a little bit odd!)

Top Bottom