Vickster, OTP (of this parish) - down Feb 2014 - The Recovery

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sods_Laur

Another! That AC separation stings a bit eh? Did mine12 years ago and it still hurt right up until I did it again a week back! Hurts more now mind.. ;-)
When you are recuperating and start physio, do your best not to favour it when reaching up into cupboards for e.g. It'll hurt now but it'll be more mobile in future than if you let it have its way. Hope you heal quickly too.
Just a bit! Must admit I was (slightly) amused by the first consultant I saw the day after who described it as a classic cyclist injury. Do you have the lump on your shoulder too? I suppose you get used to it, but I notice it a lot.

I've gone the other way with it really and keep irritating it by trying to do too much now that it's got a lot better, I forget sometimes that I have an injury. It annoys me I probably won't ever be able to sleep on my right side again! I think I've pretty much got full ROM back, but the physio reckons the muscles need some work. Apparently they have a gym in the hospital which is where I am going for my second appointment. Still haven't done any exercise, as annoying as it is I think I want to wait until they ok it.

Boon 51

Veteran
Glad your up and about again. :smile:

Chrisc

Guru
Just a bit! Must admit I was (slightly) amused by the first consultant I saw the day after who described it as a classic cyclist injury. Do you have the lump on your shoulder too? I suppose you get used to it, but I notice it a lot.

I've gone the other way with it really and keep irritating it by trying to do too much now that it's got a lot better, I forget sometimes that I have an injury. It annoys me I probably won't ever be able to sleep on my right side again! I think I've pretty much got full ROM back, but the physio reckons the muscles need some work. Apparently they have a gym in the hospital which is where I am going for my second appointment. Still haven't done any exercise, as annoying as it is I think I want to wait until they ok it.

Oh yes, BIG lump. Ruins the line of my suit jacket... :-)
But the good news is you will be able to sleep on it in time so don't worry. It was always uncomfortable but not overly painful. And yes, wait till they OK it. Babying it is no good but neither is rushing it.

Mine is a grade 4 and the funny thing is that after this latest stack the radiologist listed all my fractures and then said you also have a grade 1 AC separation as well. I just said well that's good cos it was a grade 4 when I set off this morning.
Because the collar bone is now an inverted v shape with the greenstick fracture the flying collarbone end has been depressed back almost into place and looks a lot tidier! :-)

Last edited:

Sods_Laur

Oh yes, BIG lump. Ruins the line of my suit jacket... :-)
But the good news is you will be able to sleep on it in time so don't worry. It was always uncomfortable but not overly painful. And yes, wait till they OK it. Babying it is no good but neither is rushing it.

Mine is a grade 4 and the funny thing is that after this latest stack the radiologist listed all my fractures and then said you also have a grade 1 AC separation as well. I just said well that's good cos it was a grade 4 when I set off this morning.
Because the collar bone is now an inverted v shape with the greenstick fracture the flying collarbone end has been depressed back almost into place and looks a lot tidier! :-)
Yeah I can imagine. Men have the suit issue, us women have the dress issue. Did you have to have an op? It was made pretty clear to me at a Gr4 is a definite operation, but mine was more of a wait and see. I have just read the thread on your crash - eeek! It's good that you can look on the bright side and in fact that there is one at all :biggrin:

Chrisc

Guru
Yeah I can imagine. Men have the suit issue, us women have the dress issue. Did you have to have an op? It was made pretty clear to me at a Gr4 is a definite operation, but mine was more of a wait and see. I have just read the thread on your crash - eeek! It's good that you can look on the bright side and in fact that there is one at all :biggrin:

Yes it could have been much worse so the fact that I have a bright side is a huge plus from where I'm sitting. :-)

No op was made available for me at the time no. Bear in mind this is about 12 years ago tho. I did enquire a couple of years after the accident but the consensus was that I had a good ROM and not much pain so there was little upside to putting myself through a surgery with no guarantee of success and a chance that the outcome may be worse than the status quo. Suck it and see. :-)

vickster

Legendary Member
Leg photo update (yes I was wearing cycling knickers earlier)

14 weeks after injury, 12 weeks after 2nd op

Cycling some, Wimbledon-Cambridge 100km attempt with @jefmcg on Monday. Wish us luck!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 64

vickster

Legendary Member
Update: I had my expert medical appointment yesterday which lasted all of 5 minutes (luckily it was very local), so he will now send a report to the lawyers and presumably the wheels will start to grind again very slowly...
In terms of prognosis, he estimates at least another 3 months for the swelling/lump to go, joy. Pain wise, the actual injury site is better, although I still have at least one episode of stinging daily I think, possibly more, the area is still tender and numb, weird that it is both, numbness is more superficial though due to damage to the nerve endings in the skin

I am having physio and appear to be a complete wreck, ankle, knee, hip, sacroiliac joint, lower back, all stiff and tight...more torture sessions to come! My physio likes acupuncture, although it doesn't bother me, I am not convinced it helps. I think she has properly broken me yesterday as I am aching like an achy thing that is aching!

vickster

Legendary Member
Well that's me out of Ride 100 2014. I have been strongly advised by my surgeon to do it in 2015 :sad:. Oh and it could be another 9-12 months for the scarring and pain in my leg to improve, possibly longer,18 months. Wtf :ohmy: Legal case isn't going to settle any time soon

On the plus side, I don't have to stop cycling, just dial it all back and take it easier

Ah well...

Top Bottom