Vickster, OTP (of this parish) - down Feb 2014 - The Recovery

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sods_Laur

:sad:

Oh dear. But at least you're allowed to do some (limited) cycling. What's the rationale for not letting you do the ride? I assume it's to let things heal properly.

What a shame though. Can you get your money back? I've pulled out of everything I've entered this year, as I've also been strongly advised against and some organisations are more accomodating than others I find.

vickster

Legendary Member
:sad:

Oh dear. But at least you're allowed to do some (limited) cycling. What's the rationale for not letting you do the ride? I assume it's to let things heal properly.

What a shame though. Can you get your money back? I've pulled out of everything I've entered this year, as I've also been strongly advised against and some organisations are more accomodating than others I find.

Indeed, it's simply too far and too much pressure given it's in 8 weeks. He is more concerned about my back than my leg, even though the latter is the cause of the former. He thinks I have overdone it (even though I've done fewer miles this year than last, I did go a bit mad over the Bank Holiday probably but my back was griping before then)

There's no issue with Ride 100, if you pull out through illness or injury, you get an automatic re entry for next year, just have to pay up during the October registration window. I will lose this year's fee I think, so it'll be added to the legal claim now. I've informed the solicitor

I've not entered anything else, I am not actually bothered about events in general, I just wanted to do this one as the biggie

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Can you not sell your place in London 100 ? Just an idea . There are plenty of people that are gutted they didn't get a place .

vickster

Legendary Member
Well @jefmcg would you believe that I was knocked off two years yesterday! I still have a manky leg, a knackered shoulder needing surgery (although hard to prove a result of the accident despite having no risk factors other than being injured at the time) and am not very near to settling!

Unsurprisingly, I no longer own the bike I was riding :biggrin: (which was pretty much unscathed)

How time flies! :wacko:

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Well @jefmcg would you believe that I was knocked off two years yesterday! I still have a manky leg, a knackered shoulder needing surgery (although hard to prove a result of the accident despite having no risk factors other than being injured at the time) and am not very near to settling!

Unsurprisingly, I no longer own the bike I was riding :biggrin: (which was pretty much unscathed)

Who is dealing with your claim?

vickster

Legendary Member
Who is dealing with your claim?
Leigh Day

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Ugh, morning all.

I am very sore, leg especially with the bruise the size of a grapefruit on my calf. 5 hours at st George's, x rays and quite a lot of concern about compartment syndrome. I am not going to look up the details but I know it's not good. However, the guy from plastics and the trauma consultant thought not, but I have to keep the leg elevated for 48 hours. Nothing fractured thank god, I do appear to have bone of steel

I don't really know what happened, I was moving away from the asl, out of the saddle, so maybe a bit wobbly, probably in a strong secondary, and then clonk and I was toppling. Massively busy intersection, first thought was flipping heck cars do not run me over!!

Car stopped driver got out, concerned, his son a very serious cyclist working in a high end shop near where I live. A lovely jogger too, who called the police and ambulance. @jefmcg came back after my SOS call

Statements taken, I was in ambulance, brother and his gf, came and collected my bike and then to hospital. 5 hours later discharged with crutches and a bucket load of pain. As well as the calf, Graze on other knee, on knuckle, elbow and shoulder. Gloves and helmet did their jobs.

I am not going to go into any of the rights and wrongs, it was an accident at an utterly shitty junction. The bike is damaged, the driver offered there to pay for what needs fixing, gears and at least one wheel. I'll heal, leg bruise will take 2-3 months to go apparently. I don't know what this means for ride London, just going to see when I can start riding again. That is however, the last time I willingly ride in the dark on busy south London roads :sad:
I've only just seen this and now understand a few other ppsts that you have made...sorry, very slow of me.

Hope you are feeling a little better at least, I've not read to the end of the thread yet so hope everything is working out ok...driverwise.

Great attitude Vickster.

vickster

Legendary Member
I've only just seen this and now understand a few other ppsts that you have made...sorry, very slow of me.

Hope you are feeling a little better at least, I've not read to the end of the thread yet so hope everything is working out ok...driverwise.

Great attitude Vickster.
Thanks. Been no contact with the driver since the claim started, we aren't ready to settle yet.

The shoulder has thrown a bit of a spanner in the works! However, expert has agreed my leg will never recover, will always have scar, a residual lump, some numbness, discolouration and pain, although now fairly mild. Nice

The medical reporting side of things is really slow!

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
Ive only just seen this thread too, its good to see it hasnt stopped your desire to get out and ride. I hope you get things sorted sooner rather than later and that your injuries heal well. :bicycle:

I'm not doing February anymore. Poor Vickster and her leg, and today last year was not a good day.

As a native Melbournian, February is the start of the the academic year. Back to school, just as summer really sets in. 40° in new shirts with stiff, itchy collars and sad, dried up sandwiches by lunch time. Oh, and tepid "school yoghurt" mysteriously packed milk bottles sitting out in the sun until morning break.

And in the Northern hemisphere, it's the long, dark teatime of the soul.

Down with February! We'll have to add another month to replace it. Having a look at wikipedia for Roman calendar, I like the name of Quintilis. So let's put that in between April and May.

D

Deleted member 1258

Two years! blimey, I didn't realize it had been that long, thats mad, I've like the post though I'm not sure I should have, how's things going day to day? How much of an impact, if any, do the injuries make on everyday life?

vickster

Legendary Member
Two years! blimey, I didn't realize it had been that long, thats mad, I've like the post though I'm not sure I should have, how's things going day to day? How much of an impact, if any, do the injuries make on everyday life?
The leg isn't too much bother, it can sting, and it hurts if hit a pothole or speed hump. hard on the bike! Looks a bit yucky too!

The shoulder is a pita, hence getting the surgery. Been having pain for over a year, physio etc hasn't helped. Needs the fix to restabilise it and give the poor muscles a break!

Top Bottom