Video of Bollo-shaped dent in Volvo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Bollo

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
:biggrin:Maybe Volvo-boy had been rohypnolled by a swan.

surfgurl

Someone posted about contacting your local newspaper. I have shown my Hubby your video, he is a journo on our local paper. He said all newspapers have websites these days and will probably leap at the chance to embed your vid on their website. It might be worth sending it in to them, perhaps after the insurance has been dealt with.
On a side note. A local motorbiker to us was silly enough to post his youtube video of him speeding out of town doing 120mph, the video shows the speedo as well as his dangerous driving. Rather stupidly he started the video as he left his driveway. Cue the Police knocking on his door within two days of the video being on youtube.

Joe

Über Member
Disturbing video, you really don't see it coming!
Makes a case for investing in a video camera too.
I had someone pull out on me from a road on my left, whilst I was doing about 25 down a hill, on my way back from work on Thursday. I was in primary and the driver saw me at the last moment. A crash was avoided by their last minute braking and my swerving. A real "heart in the mouth" moment, as it was wet too.
Glad you came off reasonably well:smile:

Tynan

Veteran
if you see that coming then every single approaching car is about to turn right and cause an accident, no signal, no warning of any kind and a complete failure to register the bike being there

andygates

:biggrin: The numpty just turned in front of you! What is the world coming to, etc etc...

OP
OP
Bollo

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Oooh. Just got the first chunk of paperwork from the CTC, and its not looking good.:biggrin::angry::biggrin::laugh:!:biggrin:

As I managed to walk (hobble) away from it in the style of Clare from Heroes (not so good in a cheerleader's uniform I'm afrit), it's likely that any claim for injuries will have to be dealt with through the small claims. Small claims don't pay costs, so I'll have to do all the extensive legwork myself. Just by adding up the days in the 'small claims pack', this is looking like a loooong process (4-6 months at least by my reckoning).

And the result.....I'll be able to get the current value of a well-well-used 2 year old Airnimal Joey, plus maybe 100 quid for a pulled muscle and a scabby knee. What's that? About 300 quid if I'm lucky. I'll become a f&*king stuntman! At least I'll get paid for doing sh1t like this!

Like I said in the original post, I don't think the driver was cautioned. Have a look at these legal definitions from the beeb....

There are two forms of the careless and inconsiderate driving offences:
  • Driving without due care and attention, ie the motorist did not show the proper care and attention of a reasonable, competent and prudent driver;
  • And driving without reasonable consideration for other road users. The evidence must show that other road users were inconvenienced by the inconsiderate driving of the defendant
Mmmmmm, I'm no lawyer, but might the driver be accused of being 'inconsiderate' to me? Oooww, the loss of convenience really smarts!

I'll give the copshop a ring on Monday just to gauge their level of interest, but I suspect it will be minimal. Even if they do decide to caution, its not like its going to get me a replacement bike.

I'll wait for the 'not getting out of bed for that' call from the CTC solicitors and then maybe give the local rags the footage just for devilment.

My sister in law said it remindered her of a road safety ad. Maybe the CTC could use it as a 'Dogme 95' version of 'Think-Bike'? I'm just rambling now. Thanks again for all the posts. I'll post again with any developments.

Tynan - Its difficult to see from the footage, but he was indicating. Part of the reason I moved out towards the right of the lane was to make sure I wasn't hidden by the two guys walking in the road on the left so that he wouldn't cut across me!

I think someone asked in an earlier post what the camera is? It's yer standard ATC2000, running at 640x480 and 30fps. It was a bright afternoon, so the equalisation has made the footage a bit dark. I've made a brightened version which will be used in evidence, if anyone can be ar5ed.

OP
OP
Bollo

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
My, wasn't I in a moody last night!

I'm going to go through the claim motions just on principle. I guess what suprised me is that the assessment is solely based on the actual level of injury only and doesn't take into account the level of stupidity of the action that caused it.

See what happens when I can't ride a bike! I end up hanging about in internet forums!:biggrin:

Tynan - hope your claim sorts itself out.

Keep the receipts and tickets from any public transport or petrol costs.

You should be able to claim all of these additional expenses from them, but the accounting will need to be scrupulous to avoid any get out for them...

Tynan

Veteran
it's all a bit silly really, I'm been oked for train tickets for the two weeks I couldn't ride the scooter, then petrol and mileage at 50p/mile on the scooter for a few weeks, 50p/mile really adds up fast

then I dug out the ancient discarded old bike and started riding that in, it needed a new BB, new rear hub and two lots of truing, that I can't claim for apparently, even though me doing that saves the other party money

work that out

it's very annoying but the time it takes is worse, open and shut case with literally a dozen eager witnesses and it still takes months and months and months

Top Bottom