Video of Bollo-shaped dent in Volvo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
Glasd youre ok, the video was astounding? Was he driving with his eyes shut, maybe looking for his boyzone cd on the floor of the car, its astounding. Hope thee claim goes ok, and the police should prosecute - they seem to have the evidence.
Main thing is you're ok!

Your "Fame" (or Infamy) is spreading...

SOmeone has commented on your video on the CTC website...

CTC Thread

Do you want to nip across and comment?

Just seen this :biggrin:. Glad your ok. That video footage is a shocker. I feel naked if I don't have my camera on. I only hope I don't get to capture any footage like that!

The video is pricless as evidence. I wonder what would have happened without it..........

Just to add, you were faultless here. There is no way you could have anticipated that!

Blue

Legendary Member
Whilst it's true that the insurance company will only give you the current replacement value of the bike plus whatever your minor injury is worth I wouldn't expect them to force you through a Court process of any sort. I wouldn't have thought that it would take more than a couple of solicitors letters to sort a claim like this out - unless things differ in your part of the world. Claim for all losses and injuries - that's what insurance is for and no insurer should have a problem with a genuine claim that isn't exaggerated in any way.

Terrible incident - glad you were pretty much ok.

Blue

Legendary Member
Just noticed my sign-off - no pun intended, apologies if I caused any offence. The sign-off has always read thus as I have duff knees!!

OP
OP
Bollo

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Just noticed my sign-off - no pun intended, apologies if I caused any offence. The sign-off has always read thus as I have duff knees!!

Non taken. I ..... wait for it.......'kneeded' a laugh. I thank you!

Cunobelin - I just had a look on the CTC forum. To be honest I could have lived without the 'fame'. Its interesting how people view the vid differently. I ended up writing a 'war and 'peace' of a post to make things like my road positioning clear. Is there anyone here who thinks 15mph is 'too fast'?

In these situations any speed you cannot stop at is too fast!

However.......That is not realistic.

Personally I would not be doing anything differently. I suspect that if a car had pulled out in front you would have been able to stop - that is the difference. By driving towards you the driver removed any possibility of your controlling the subsequent speed of impact.

OP
OP
Bollo

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I'm not going to worry too much and I'm not claiming to be John Franklin's ugly love-child, but its all about assessment of risk. If you attempt to reduce risk to zero, then you'll live in a state of paralysis. The skill is in accurately assessing the risk, reducing it where possible and balancing the remainder against the need to perform whatever action you're performing. People can be notoriously bad at assessing risk, myself included. For example, I'm sh1t-scared of flying, an essentially safe activity. However, on this occasion I think I'd practiced what I'm preaching here, minimising risk while making progress.

First bike-commute today after driving in on Friday. Physically I was fine but I did feel very uneasy going past the scene of the crime. Also, I'm having to use my 'all the gear - no idea' vanity road bike. I'm sure it looked at me funny when I screwed on the cheap SPDs.:biggrin:

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Bollo said:
Is there anyone here who thinks 15mph is 'too fast'?

Why would 15mph in a 30mph limit be too fast? You had right of way the oncoming driver making a right turn should have stopped and let you passed. If you had been traveling in excess of 30mph, the driver might have had a case. If you had been in a car traveling at 15mph and cyclist cut across in front of you, no one would say that you were going too fast.

Cunobelin said:
In these situations any speed you cannot stop at is too fast!

However.......That is not realistic.

Personally I would not be doing anything differently. I suspect that if a car had pulled out in front you would have been able to stop - that is the difference. By driving towards you the driver removed any possibility of your controlling the subsequent speed of impact.

Cunobelin are you suggesting that the cyclist should have stopped and given way to the oncoming car? The car may have been signaling a right turn, but that did not give it the right of way. The driver was clearly at fault, irrespective of the speed of the oncoming cyclist.

Blue

Legendary Member
Hairy Jock said:
irrespective of the speed of the oncoming cyclist.

Indeed, there is sufficient case law stating that speed alone is not evidence of negligence (even if over the limit relating to the accident locus). There has to be something in addition to the speed, like incorrect positioning/signalling or whatever in addition to the high speed to sustain an inference of negligence.

flycatcher

Bollo, glad you're Okish.

Frightening. I had a similar incident a few months ago. L&M Vega (not on) and Altura NV (at home). Spooky! I wondered if they would have helped, have the light on in most situations now.

Car pulled out from side street, no time to stop, bang, off the bike into the road and staring at the front underneath of the car. Luckily just grazes, aching and bruising.

However, despite being in the CTC, I managed it myself and only wanted compensation for the bike and commuting costs. The insurance group, Churchill, were great. They paid new for old and my torn shorts and my claim for commuting expenses whilst the claim was waiting to be settled, almost £1000 in total.

Consequently I have transferred (at renewal) my wife's car, the house and my car insurance to them because of the speedy and efficient way they settled. Reasonable price too!

Stick to your guns, claim for your commuting costs and insist on new for old, that video evidence will win any court case.

Good Luck.

OP
OP
Bollo

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Thanks for all the support.

There have been a few developments since my last post. A visit to the docs found some more damage to my shoulder than I'd previously thought, so I'm having to stay off the bike for the time being. Also, <air of mystery> I may be getting more legal support than I'd anticipated in a claim against the driver </air of mystery>. I don't want to say anything more that would prejudice any claim, so I'm going to stay off this thread until everything is sorted. I'll either bump this thread or start a new one when its all settled one way or the other.

Bollo said:
Thanks for all the support.

There have been a few developments since my last post. A visit to the docs found some more damage to my shoulder than I'd previously thought, so I'm having to stay off the bike for the time being. Also, <air of mystery> I may be getting more legal support than I'd anticipated in a claim against the driver </air of mystery>. I don't want to say anything more that would prejudice any claim, so I'm going to stay off this thread until everything is sorted. I'll either bump this thread or start a new one when its all settled one way or the other.

Sorry to hear about the shoulder, but that's good news about the legal help.

Best of luck!

Top Bottom