Vinyl Albums are great

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
The headphone socket from my hi-fi amp goes into the line in on my PC and I rip vinyl, cassettes, mini-disc, radio, whatever using Audacity, which as i understand it, is the free software all those USB turntables come bundled with. The USB connection is essentially a phono lead and the digital conversion happens on the PC, in Audacity. Save money, use your existing equipment and download the free software. :okay:

[edit]... rereading your post, you don't have a turntable yet? If so, just spend your budget on a decent turntable and forget the USB interface feature... it's a gimmick, no different to a headphone/line out.

No I don't have a turntable, thanks for the advice though. It's certainly good info, regarding whether to go for a modestly priced turtable (£300 ish). Not sure to go for a Rega, or there is an Audio Technica driect drive model that is supposed to be superb, but supposedly benefits from a better cartridge. Again with hi-fi it can turn into a money pit, well as much as you desire. The cartridge was £180 or something..

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
No I don't have a turntable, thanks for the advice though. It's certainly good info, regarding whether to go for a modestly priced turtable (£300 ish). Not sure to go for a Rega, or there is an Audio Technica driect drive model that is supposed to be superb, but supposedly benefits from a better cartridge. Again with hi-fi it can turn into a money pit, well as much as you desire. The cartridge was £180 or something..
I'd definitely focus on the cartridge/needle rather than the turntable, just as the bit that really matters on a camera is the lens.

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
They've arrived! :becool:

PSB.jpg
DM.jpg

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
Songs Of Faith And Devotion is a stunning album cookie.

It is and as a life long Depeche Mode fan, I didn't pay much attention to it when it was released but I was having a very bad time then so that'll explain why. I listened to it a month ago on Spotify and loved it. Still shocked that it went way over my head at the time. :okay:

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Idly scanning through the "Machinery & General" sale catalogue of a local auctioneer last week, I noticed a Linn Sondek LP12.
Bearing in mind this sale normally is the home of knackered angle grinders, rolls of carpet etc., I questioned the sanity of whoever had put it into the auction. Needn't have worried; it went for £275, plus commission of 24%, i.e. £341 :eek:
Vinyl lives!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
It is and as a life long Depeche Mode fan, I didn't pay much attention to it when it was released but I was having a very bad time then so that'll explain why. I listened to it a month ago on Spotify and loved it. Still shocked that it went way over my head at the time. :okay:

I saw them on that tour (at Crystal Palace), they were brilliant.

And talking of brilliant. (though not from that album) It doesn't get much better then this.

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
I saw them on that tour (at Crystal Palace), they were brilliant.

And talking of brilliant. (though not from that album) It doesn't get much better then this.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vue-4Mv71Tc

The best DM song but I've never heard then do it live.

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
Idly scanning through the "Machinery & General" sale catalogue of a local auctioneer last week, I noticed a Linn Sondek LP12.
Bearing in mind this sale normally is the home of knackered angle grinders, rolls of carpet etc., I questioned the sanity of whoever had put it into the auction. Needn't have worried; it went for £275, plus commission of 24%, i.e. £341 :eek:
Vinyl lives!

Linns are the best turntables you can get. Although, they are very pricey.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Vinyl lives!
Jeez someone got a bargain, even if it was a bit 'rough'.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Linns are the best turntables you can get. Although, they are very pricey.
I cast longing glances in their direction back in the mid 70s, before sadly accepting the constraints of my budget and settling for a Garrard 401.
Ditto SME3009 Mk2 v. Acos Lustre. Both still working well, touch wood.
Jeez someone got a bargain, even if it was a bit 'rough'.
Did wonder about leaving a bid or even attending in person, before deciding to make do with my very adequate kit!
Probably wouldn't have outbid the winner - it did look a bit tired, and the auctioneers are not always as gentle as they might be in that room, more comfortable with well used 110v tools as they are.

Last edited:

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
I just bought the repress of Aerosmith's Get a Grip double album on white vinyl. Used but it looks like brand new. Plays brilliantly too.

Top Bottom