Vinyl Albums are great

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
On CDs versus vinyl, my cycling buddy has a big expensive stereo and a huge music collection so one day we sat down and listened to three recordings, hearing each on vinyl then on CD. We agreed that there didnt seem to be a difference in the quality of the reproduction but that the vinyl sounded mellow and the CD sounded a little brighter. But only by the tiniest amount. So not a very revealing comparison really.

I’m in Hong Kong so they’ll send anything to me registered which can get pricey. There are three sellers I like to use when I can, one in London, one in Osaka and another in Melbourne. They’re postage is a bit more reasonable.
I lived in HK for 5 years and probably bought 100+ CD's (from the Princes Building) at around £6 a pop. I also lived in the USA for a bit and vinyl was cheap, not sure why stuff is so pricey in UK?
Its not the format its the kit...listen to a CD on a £1000+ player and its amazing.

OP
OP
Bill Gates

Bill Gates

I lived in HK for 5 years and probably bought 100+ CD's (from the Princes Building) at around £6 a pop. I also lived in the USA for a bit and vinyl was cheap, not sure why stuff is so pricey in UK?
Its not the format its the kit...listen to a CD on a £1000+ player and its amazing.
The Elmore James album I played that initated the thread with is duplicated in the music library I stream from my PC. The streaming version goes through a soundbar and rear surround sound speakers and when you sit in the middle of all that lot it is a unique experience. On the other hand the vinyl version gives the sound a raw quality that is more appropriate to the track and is therefore slightly better but it is a personal view

cookiemonster

Legendary Member

Why stuff can be pricey in HK? Rents are usually the issue. Also, there were many good vinyl shops here but most have now shut.

The kit is important. CD or vinyl but, as I've said, I find that vinyl sounds less fake and more warm and welcoming.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
On CDs versus vinyl, my cycling buddy has a big expensive stereo and a huge music collection so one day we sat down and listened to three recordings, hearing each on vinyl then on CD. We agreed that there didnt seem to be a difference in the quality of the reproduction but that the vinyl sounded mellow and the CD sounded a little brighter. But only by the tiniest amount. So not a very revealing comparison really.
Years ago I used to play the 2 sources simultaneously and switch between on the Pre-Amp, pretty much everything sounded 'nicer' on Vinyl, admittedly my stereo isn't exactly top class (the power-amps were first sold in 1967) but it is a lot better than most systems people have ever listened to.

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
There's something very spiritual about cracking open a new LP and pulling the vinyl out a of the sleeve that you don't get with other formats.

With vinyl, you've actually bought something rather than MBs of data. Also, I like the artwork too, especially the inner sleeve(s).

I'll be cracking open some new vinyl from Discogs that are heading my way. Should be here for the weekend.:becool:

With vinyl, you've actually bought something rather than MBs of data. Also, I like the artwork too, especially the inner sleeve(s).

I'll be cracking open some new vinyl from Discogs that are heading my way. Should be here for the weekend.:becool:
A friend gave me a load of Zep Floyd and Roxy Music albums recently, its so much more interesting having the real thing than looking at a screen with a picture on it.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
I'm thinking of getting one to digitise some old dance records that are not available on CD. Not sure whether to spend more than £120 on the entry level Audio Technica, or go up in budget and buy one of the more expensive Audio Technica USB tables or another brand, and buy some new vinyl.

I'd obviously would listen to vinyl using RCA's as my amp has a phono stage. Not via the USB through my PC and DAC as I guess that would defeat the whole object. I'm just a bit skeptical as I've never had a decent turntable. I don't know anybody with one to hear one, so it would just be an expensive test.

There's something about record though. Digital music is too easy. I think with records it makes you listen to more of an album as it is a lot more hassle to change track. This is probably a good thing.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I'm thinking of getting one to digitise some old dance records that are not available on CD. Not sure whether to spend more than £120 on the entry level Audio Technica, or go up in budget and buy one of the more expensive Audio Technica USB tables or another brand, and buy some new vinyl.

I'd obviously would listen to vinyl using RCA's as my amp has a phono stage. Not via the USB through my PC and DAC as I guess that would defeat the whole object. I'm just a bit skeptical as I've never had a decent turntable. I don't know anybody with one to hear one, so it would just be an expensive test.

There's something about record though. Digital music is too easy. I think with records it makes you listen to more of an album as it is a lot more hassle to change track. This is probably a good thing.
The headphone socket from my hi-fi amp goes into the line in on my PC and I rip vinyl, cassettes, mini-disc, radio, whatever using Audacity, which as i understand it, is the free software all those USB turntables come bundled with. The USB connection is essentially a phono lead and the digital conversion happens on the PC, in Audacity. Save money, use your existing equipment and download the free software. :okay:

[edit]... rereading your post, you don't have a turntable yet? If so, just spend your budget on a decent turntable and forget the USB interface feature... it's a gimmick, no different to a headphone/line out.

Last edited:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll

The LP's I'd ordered were both listed as brand new and sealed... but after paying, the seller contacted me, very apologetic as he'd sold one of the LPs I'd ordered last year. :sad: He refunded me the £15 ...but went on to say that he did have another copy of that LP, albeit unsealed yet supposedly unplayed, which he offered to send me for free! :ohmy: Both LP's arrived, both in mint condition, at little more than half the price i was willing to pay for them :okay:

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
The LP's I'd ordered were both listed as brand new and sealed... but after paying, the seller contacted me, very apologetic as he'd sold one of the LPs I'd ordered last year. :sad: He refunded me the £15 ...but went on to say that he did have another copy of that LP, albeit unsealed yet supposedly unplayed, which he offered to send me for free! :ohmy: Both LP's arrived, both in mint condition, at little more than half the price i was willing to pay for them :okay:

My vinyl's not arrived yet. 😠

Top Bottom