Visit to Edinburgh - what to do/see?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My two step-sons and two of their mates are going to Edinburgh for a long weekend (1st weekend in May).

They plan on visiting a whisky distillery, but apart from that, they're not too sure.Has anyone any suggestions as to what they should do/see?

Thanks!

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
There's a great camera obscura and other optical distractions up by the castle which is worth a visit in itself. It's best visited while sober.

Trust me. :thumbsup:

AndyRM

XOXO
Hurl obscenities at the f*cking trams on Princes Street.

Go here for a top notch breakfast - the one on Elm Row http://www.valvonacrolla.co.uk/

The National Museum is very good, and free, as is the Museum of Modern Art, which is a little bit out of the city centre but worth the trip.

The Castle is good but it's a rip-off.

If they are football fans, Hibs are at home on Saturday, Hearts (against Ayrshire's finest, Killie) on the Sunday.

A wee trip out to Cramond Island could be good, warn them to check the tides carefully!

Leith is nice for a stroll round as well - there are excellent chippies.

Go on one of the Ghost tours!!

.. or Visit the Kirk at Greyfriars at night and scare yourself!!!!

fimm

Veteran
+1 to Arthur's Seat.
Do NOT go to the "Malt Whisky Experience" in the Royal Mile - it's not very good. (However if you visit with Mrs Dayvo, the resturant underneath is (or at least was, it is a few years since we went) excellent, though not cheap.)
There's a proper distillery somewhere near Edinburgh - are they headed there?
Palace of Holyroodhouse if you like that sort of thing (and haven't had enough with the Castle).
+1 to the Camera Obscura.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Depends what they like doing... The Cafe Royal is a decent enough place to start the Rose Street pub crawl. Museum of Scotland is a walk up the hill but worth it [if it's all open again?] There's always the Royal Yacht down in Leith.

Mary King's Court is a better experience then the Dungeon which is much the same as the other franchise Dungeons in London and York.

...ignore Crock's suggestion to try and get the train to St Andrews as the nearest station is Leuchars, well when I say station, it's more a halt stop... and is a £10 taxi journey each way to St Andrews.

AndyRM

XOXO
I told them to eat haggis and frittered Mars bars: didn't seem to impress them much.

They might take a football match in, plus a trip to the castle, pubs, shops (:ohmy: :blink:) and whisky galore.

Thanks all for your input. :hello:

Either match should be pretty good as all the teams involved will be hoping to avoid the dreaded play-off spot which has been introduced this year.

Top Bottom