Visit to Edinburgh - what to do/see?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snorri

Legendary Member
My two step-sons and two of their mates are going to Edinburgh for a long weekend.
They plan on visiting a whisky distillery, but apart from that, they're not too sure.Has anyone any suggestions as to what they should do/see?
Probly already got a block booking arranged in a sauna?:whistle:

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Glenkinchie distillery.
camera obscura.
the zoo - for the views from the top as much as anything.
Ignore the tourist tat Whisky shops at the castle end of the royal mile and stroll right down the other end to Cadenheads.
Leith is worth a wander.
The parliament building is an interesting building to look at.
Another nearish site is the Falkirk Wheel - more a family thing than a lads weekender, as is the Sea Life center under the Forth bridge.
There's Rebus's Oxford Bar too.

sazzaa

[QUOTE 3028422, member: 1314"]I prefer Glasgow to Edinburgh. Don't want to go OT but Glasgow is a city full of Glaswegians. Edinburgh City Centre is full of posh English with Scots living out in the small towns that make up the Edinburgh Suburbs.

Plus Edinburgh is scary and psychotic. It's no surprise the write of Jekyll and Hyde came from there.[/QUOTE]

Glasgow has the ned factor though. Saying that, I still prefer to get drunk in Glasgow.

I dis like the cr@ppy sectarism that comes out of Glasgow (although its pretty rife elsewhere in the country :-( ) but once you break through that level the Glaswegian's are friendlier people IMO. For tourists I suspect Edinburgh might offer more however.

fimm

Veteran
The Anthony Gormley statues have gone from the Water of Leith now - I think they were only ever a temporary installation.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Glenkinchie distillery.
camera obscura.
the zoo - for the views from the top as much as anything.
Ignore the tourist tat Whisky shops at the castle end of the royal mile and stroll right down the other end to Cadenheads.
Leith is worth a wander.
The parliament building is an interesting building to look at.
Another nearish site is the Falkirk Wheel - more a family thing than a lads weekender, as is the Sea Life center under the Forth bridge.
There's Rebus's Oxford Bar too.
Tell them not to mention John Rebus when in there though, you might get away with saying Jackie Leven liked the bar (he did an album with Ian Rankin and they also appeared on stage together a few times. The newish Rebus novel "standing in another mans grave" is from a misheard Jackie song title and the book is dedicated to him)

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Without wishing to knock Glenkinchie, surely for distilleries you are looking at the Highlands or Islands, not Edinburgh?

The last few times I have been to Edinburgh I have watched some rugby at Murrayfield. Probably more a case of the reason why I have been going to Edinburgh is to watch some rugby.

Take a bus tour, walk the Royal Mile, and see the Castle. Edinburgh is one of Europe's top cities with great architecture and wonderful views. OK, the locals have a bad reputation for snobbishness, but, much like London, the number of visitors and immigrants (i.e. non-locals) ensures that you don't have to meet too many.

I'd add visiting the Royal Yacht Britannia at Leith and having a trip round the Scottish Parliament as too further options.

The last few times I have been to Edinburgh I have watched some rugby.

Speaking of rugby, it is also the Kelso and Earlston 7s tournaments the weekend he is over; Kelso on Saturday 3rd and Earlston on Sunday 4th. Both may involve alcohol; I have heard that the Earlston 7s involve a lot of alcohol. I'll not be at either tho as I am riding elsewhere, but might make it back for the tailend of the Earlston festivities.

Louch

105% knowledge on 105
For a reasonable priced meal, if they are on the royal mile, they should walk down to Holyrood 9a, where we held the cc Ecosse Xmas lunch.

Then Get the train to Glasgow :P

Top Bottom