Visit to Edinburgh - what to do/see?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
get a bus out of town - take a trip to Aberlady Bay and visit the nature reserve there and home of SSPB (or whatever their version of RSPB is). there's also North Berwick and the Scottish seabird centre.

over the Forth bridge is seaworld and excellent views of the bridge.

in town - Cramond is nice for a walk along the forth. Portobello for the beach.

the Zoo is good.

Holyrood park- go there in the evening and there will be bats galore over the loch at the bottom.

there is that chapel that all the dan brown fans go to... however, the scenery around there is great and you can have superb walks down by the river.

the Water of Leith walk is good too - and you can visit the museums and galleries near stockbridge and then carry on along the water and see the Anthony Gormley statues.

tug benson

Survived the Tour O the borders 2013
Burke and hare.

tug benson

Survived the Tour O the borders 2013
If you want to try 1 star dining, then Castle terrace and the Kitchin do very good lunch deals, am sure it`s about £25 each for lunch...well worth the money

Brandane

Legendary Member
My two step-sons and two of their mates are going to Edinburgh for a long weekend (1st weekend in May).

They plan on visiting a whisky distillery, but apart from that, they're not too sure.Has anyone any suggestions as to what they should do/see?

Thanks!
Best thing they can do is jump on the first train to Glasgow ;)

Go to @Telemark s hoose for home made soup, bread, and a fine assortment of cakes :thumbsup:.

THEN jump on the first train to Glasgow ......

Last edited:

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
@Brandane - you mean catch the train and then another one and then the ferry to Arran ... surprised nobody has mentioned it yet ;)

Another vote for the camera obscura, Arthur's Seat and the museum in Chambers Street (half of it is about showing Scotland to the world, the other half is about showing the world to Scotland :thumbsup:), and to leave out the 'world of whisky' at the top of the Royal Mile.
If you want a good castle, I'd catch the train to Stirling (50 min by train) instead of going to Edinburgh ... very slightly cheaper, but so much more interesting in my opinion anyway (unless you are seriously into military history, uniforms etc)...

T

Burke and hare.

I revise my previous post...

Go down to the Grassmarket, and have a few pints in the White Hart Inn, but beware of strangers, as Burke and HAre used to get unsuspecting victims drunk in here before luringt hem to their deaths.

THEN go to Greyfriars Kirk and scare yourself silly

[QUOTE 3027791, member: 1314"]Good shout. Greyfriars Kirkyard is well scary (pedant alert, the Kirk being separate from the graveyard).

And Bobby's Bar at the entrance does a brill cullen skink.[/QUOTE]

... and there is always good old Bobby himself!

Greyfriars-bobby-edin.jpg

Sara_H

Guru
Camera Obscura is very good, we on;y went in to get away from the rain and really enjoyed it.

Edinburgh cast is fabulous, I really love it. Walk up Arthurs Seat is spectacular, especially on a clear day. Do a ghost walking tour, enterataining and really informative.

Never made it yet, but I always fancied a trip to The Royal Yacht Brittania.

sazzaa

I found Britannia a bit average. Wasn't overly impressed with camera obscura but probably because it was really busy. Dungeons were great, well worth a tenner. The bike shop/cafe place in Stockbridge was lovely, I might have drooled a bit.

AndyRM

XOXO
Sweet FA ! Glad I got out when i did !

Sigh of relief.

Not sure if trolling...

Don't think it's been mentioned yet, but Hillend is good if you're a winter sports enthusiast. Not as good as other snow based facilities further north but still worth a visit if that's your thing.

Shadowfax

Not sure if trolling...

Don't think it's been mentioned yet, but Hillend is good if you're a winter sports enthusiast. Not as good as other snow based facilities further north but still worth a visit if that's your thing.
Next time you post perhaps .... make sure eh ?

AndyRM

XOXO
Next time you post perhaps .... make sure eh ?

I missed a smiley, my bad, I meant to include this :ohmy: as an indication of my quizzical incredulity.

Assuming you were joking, apologies for any offence :thumbsup:

If you were being serious, you should see if You can tag along on Dayvo's stepsons trip, I reckon they're gonna have fun.

Top Bottom