Vittoria Rubino Pro Folding Clincher tyre

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Is that a problem with the graphene ones? Because I have had outstanding performance with originals, wired and folding
Nope. The graphene ones are just as good. Only problem I have with them is that they can slip in the wet under power. ie powering away from lights etc

Just replaced the rear Rubino Pro slick that came on my bike as original equipment. It had gone in holes in a couple of places, and I like rubber on the road, so you probably could have got more out of it. It had done 5500km which doesn't sound brilliant, but I am heavy and tough on rear tyres in particular. Superb for grip, ride and handling. Only a couple of punctures in that time, but I try not to ride over sharp things. Very happy with them, and would like advice on what to replace it with as the nearest like-for-like.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Ran rubino for years, commuter now has zaffiro pros on as they came on the new bike and swapped the wheels .
Can't tell any difference yet but I prefer rubino to Gators as I had less flats and a bit more grip in the wet with the rubino.

Ran rubino for years, commuter now has zaffiro pros on as they came on the new bike and swapped the wheels .
Can't tell any difference yet but I prefer rubino to Gators as I had less flats and a bit more grip in the wet with the rubino.
I would prefer old condoms loosely knotted together to Gatorskins. I value my grip!

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Nope. The graphene ones are just as good. Only problem I have with them is that they can slip in the wet under power. ie powering away from lights etc

Agree. I've been running the graphene ones for the past few thousand miles as they replaced the old Rubinos. Seem to have same wear characteristics as the old ones; will comfortably do 3-4,000 miles of hill climbing

I agree about traction in the wet. I find I have to climb seated a bit more than I used to with the old Rubinos

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Don't rate the graphene ones at all, plenty of grip but after a bit the puncture protection is not that good.

It's funny how in every "what tyre" thread you get opposing views based on personal experience. That's led me to conclude that punctures are essentially random events. I've had months and months without one. Equally I've had consecutive days with one. No rhyme or reason

I don't believe, in the main, tyres are inherently more or less puncture resistant (other than the outliers...armadillos at one end and ultralights at the other). It's just chance

I agree about traction in the wet. I find I have to climb seated a bit more than I used to with the old Rubinos
Rubino Pro III "150 TPI" 28mm review:
Bought in 2022 (I think due to a thread I can't find by vickster?)
Mostly very happy with them (9 days in NED/GER/BEL 👌but wet!), especially at the price.
Today uncovered the Achilles Heel: grip :⁠-⁠(
Now I think today's conditions were very tricky (3'c, roads not QUITE dried out after prolonged rain/flooding, etc ... ) But I had several moments.
GP5000 on the front coped fine. They do cost twice as much! Tyre has done a few 1000km, so worn in, but lots of tread visible so I wouldn't expect Worn Out.

Not dreadful though - think Gators would have been even worse.

So: totally unscientific data, but enough to convince me. For now. Might put a more premium tyre on until April ...

davidphilips

Veteran
Have tried them and unless very cheap would rather use Continent Ultra Sport tyres, The ultra sport are not expensive and roll better, not very notice able unless you are cycling fast, can not really say about puncture protection as the puncture fairy seems to call as and when they want and looking at tests they seem about equal?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Puncture very easily. They are a misers choice of tire.
Or the choice of people who are not made of money...? :whistle:

Until I got my state pension last year I was living on £5/day for food/drink/household products/travel and non-essentials such as tyres. Buying a pair of tyres that cost £20 more than cheaper ones could have required a 4-day fast! :laugh:

Top Bottom