Volunteer Riders

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

dudi said:
Live in Ipswich and can do pretty much anywhere in Norfolk, suffolk and north essex. possibly even west cambridgeshire too.

I don't know, but i wouldn't have thought it 'd be going that far south-east. don' mean to pick on you dudi but we appear to be slipping back into photo-up-a-hill me-too-ism.

dudi

bonj said:
I don't know, but i wouldn't have thought it 'd be going that far south-east. don' mean to pick on you dudi but we appear to be slipping back into photo-up-a-hill me-too-ism.

Photo up a hill?

You never know - if the need arises... but like you say, the route would be highly unlikely to come this far east.
I dont think everyone that says they're available expects to be included, just making their availability known.

Also, fear not Bonjy baby, i don't think for one moment you would pick on me.

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
Hampshire - I can do Fareham to, say, somewhere like Alton or Petersfield? (I'm assuming that the baton would go from me northwards towards London).

How about sponsorship from friends/relatives/work colleagues? And for a charity that CC can all agree on?

EDIT: I know that I am nowhere near Cracknell's route - but why not let the route come East, and zig-zag a bit to take in more counties? As it stands, it's missing out half the UK!

I would not be prepared to ride this for charity. I like to keep my charity, work and social lives seperate, and for me this ride falls in the social category.

bonj2

Touche said:
I would not be prepared to ride this for charity. I like to keep my charity, work and social lives seperate, and for me this ride falls in the social category.

i agree, why does charity have to be involved? It's not like it's the actual act of cycling that raises the money is it - it's the emotional blackmail that the charities have cajoled you into pressurising your friends with that raises the money. I disagree with the concept of charity 'sponsorship' for sports - all it is is a level of indirection, there's no connection between the feat that the sponsored person does and the charity.

bonj2

Already I see people keep suggesting the idea of zig-zagging across the country so the relay can pass through *their* town. Well this isn't really in keeping with the spirit of a relay, is it...:laugh:
I think whoever's the organiser needs to put their foot down and stamp these sorts of expectations out, because otherwise it's simply never going to happen.

Garz

Squat Member
Expanding on bonj' point there, the relay route is based on the cracknell attempt as this is a very direct route. Understanding that we want more people enjoying the event and we are not aiming to break a speed record then its upto fossy/leaders to consider this or dismiss it from now.

Im easy whichever decision is made, however I do not think the route should meander all over the british isles as not only will it extend the mileage but it will also double the efforts involved to get it going.

The direct route will be easier to manage, and if you think you want to contribute or are a selfless person then the areas with no organisers/ lack of riders would be better than wanting it to pass next to your home town.

This is already looking like a mammoth task to organise, lets try to make it simpler.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Chuffy, myself and probably Andygates would be able to do a couple of stretches between Launceston to Tiverton.

If all three of us ride it can we only cover a total of 54 miles?

Having participated in the C+ jersey relay can say it's definitely easier if participants come to the route, rather than the route coming to them...

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Garz said:
Expanding on bonj' point there, the relay route is based on the cracknell attempt as this is a very direct route. Understanding that we want more people enjoying the event and we are not aiming to break a speed record then its upto fossy/leaders to consider this or dismiss it from now.

If you read the original thread you will find that very early on it was about setting a record (and not for the slowest end to end)...

Top Bottom