W Indies v England - Spoilers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
psmiffy
WI 155-4 at close - I think this says it all

Ex-England spinner Graeme Swann on Test Match Special
"West Indies have looked to blunt the England attack rather than take it to them. The dismissal of Marlon Samuels was a fine bit of bowling from Broad, as was the catch from Jordan to get rid of Brathwaite, but other than that it's been dull as dishwater."

Both openers gone already again FFS

Let's just hope that 'opens' the door for a new captain and at least one new opener.

Not sure if Trott's an opener: I think he's better placed at no. 3, although Balance has cemented his place there for the time being.

Unlike Australia, we don't have depth and consistency, nor being able to score 'quick' runs: four an over is the absolute minimum they should be going for (conditions allowing, of course).

Time for (most of) the over 30s to pack their bags...!

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Let's just hope that 'opens' the door for a new captain and at least one new opener.

Not sure if Trott's an opener: I think he's better placed at no. 3, although Balance has cemented his place there for the time being.

Unlike Australia, we don't have depth and consistency, nor being able to score 'quick' runs: four an over is the absolute minimum they should be going for (conditions allowing, of course).

Time for (most of) the over 30s to pack their bags...!
The England selectors' idea of an opener is still somebody who will stick around for 30 overs irrespective of the scoring rate. The game around the world has moved on.

West Indies is pale shadow of its former test past. The outcome is pretty much on how the opposing team performs with little influence from WI. Occasionally a one or two individuals may stir things a bit but nothing else. It always great when both teams are on top of their game.

OP
OP
psmiffy
166-4 Doomed - Root out - await normal collapse of middle/lower order - being an optimist tho it might be a good thing - England out sooner rather than later (Rather than the normal Cooke/Moores hanging on too long) for 250ish - and maybe enough time (If they bowl their overs quick enough) - to bowl out WI for a win

350 should be enough to defend, or four sessions to bowl them out whilst keeping them interested in a run-chase, otherwise they'll just shut up shop.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Speaking as an England fan I'd welcome a West Indies win. It would be a much needed boost to Caribbean cricket, greatly at risk from increasing US cultural influence, and a poke in the eye for the establishment over here - both of which would be good for the game. methinks.

That's why Cock will never make a good captain. Not only doesn't he take a risk, he doesn't seem to have a clue. Evidence of this is his total lack of imagination with his 'tactics' last winter in Australia.

Saying that, good breakthrough by Broad in the here and now.

Top Bottom