W Indies v England - Spoilers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
psmiffy
So on to Grenada

No idea what the result of the Trott/Lythe, Tredwell/Moen/Rashid/Jordan et.al debate is because it is raining - suspect the answer will not be a radical change

OP
OP
psmiffy
Surprise , Surprise - Moen for Tredwell - Packing batting order? or do they think that Moen will be a more effective spinner than Tredwell (or Root for that matter 13-6-22-2)

green1

Über Member
Should have been 2 changes at least. I agree with Ali for Tredwell, but Rashid should have played as well. Needs to be tried out before the ashes. Tredwell is never going to bowl a team out in the 4th innings to win you a game. He couldn't even get in the Kent team last season. You don't need 4 seamers on a slow low pitch.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
It's worth noting that the England openers have managed to reach 50 runs without loss. 65 for 0 after WI all out for 299. But with the weather and the pudding-like pitch a draw seems almost inevitable.

OP
OP
psmiffy
It's worth noting that the England openers have managed to reach 50 runs without loss. 65 for 0 after WI all out for 299. But with the weather and the pudding-like pitch a draw seems almost inevitable.
Yup - an opening stand of 74 - Following the rain delays and the two very slow days a draw does seem to be inevitable unless England do something remarkably unEnglandlike today (and tomorrow) - really need to bat like demons today to get a bit ahead and with a couple of days in hand to WInkle them out - (it took them the best part of a hour and 52 runs to get the last pair out) - though I suspect the plan will be to bat till they are several hundred ahead and declare tomorrow around tea - an England batting collapse after tea today might be the best bet for an England win.

Still a long way to go for Cook to get the highest runs total:
England's highest Test run-scorers
Geoffrey Boycott's grandmother (1903-2015) 613,310 runs (0 matches)

Graham Gooch (1975-95) 8900 runs (118 matches)
Alastair Cook (2006-15) 8484 runs (111 matches)
Alec Stewart (1990-2003) 8463 runs (133 matches)
David Gower (1978-92) 8231 runs (117 matches)
Kevin Pietersen (2005-14) 8181 runs (104 matches)

:tongue:

England racing along at 2.75 runs an over - hardly looking as though they want to win this Test. More like they're playing for their places in the series against NZ and Australia by scoring mediocre runs against a mediocre team.

And Cock playing for his position as captain and opener: 76 off 211 balls. That is a LOAD of balls!

OP
OP
psmiffy
England 373 for 6 – lead by 74

England seem to have adopted my master plan – with the demise of Balance, Moen and Stokes instigated phase 1 of the collapse – Cook and Trott batted nicely if a bit slow. They and Bell did the decent thing by getting out so that Balance and Root could get on with things (I was a bit concerned that Root would get confused by coming to the crease with a few runs on the board – but he seemed to overcome that difficulty with ease) – need to implement the Phase 2 of the collapse in the morning – about a 100 ahead – and time to get them out with a small chance of a getable run chase in the remaining time

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
(I was a bit concerned that Root would get confused by coming to the crease with a few runs on the board – but he seemed to overcome that difficulty with ease)
I reckon the lad's a quick learner. He's even started to do a line in sledging, along with doing a halfway decent turn with the ball.

But yes, a mini mid-innings wicket squandering helps push the game towards a result - well, a this or that way result as opposed to a draw. Still got my money on a draw though.

Meanwhile, that Boycott has become a strange combination of mellow and gruff, open-minded and opinionated.

OP
OP
psmiffy
England all out for 464 1st Inning lead of 165

Phase 2 of the collapse accomplished before lunch - Buttler, Broad and Anderson committed hari kari without too much effort - Jordan was becoming a bit of a problem until Root ran him out

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
England all out for 464 1st Inning lead of 165

Phase 2 of the collapse accomplished before lunch - Buttler, Broad and Anderson committed hari kari without too much effort - Jordan was becoming a bit of a problem until Root ran him out

I do have some sympathy with our middle and lower order batting. The run rate was so low they were forced to push on in a way that the top order didn't in order to fashion a winnable situation. Need two or three quick wickets while its swinging and it's game on

First wicket down.......come on

Top Bottom