W Indies v England - Spoilers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It seems to be business as normal - 22 for 2 - Ive always been a fan of Cook and to some extent Trott but it seems to me that at this level (and with a Windies side that are not exactly at the top of the game the term level is advisable) that flaws in their technique are too well known and they really dont deserve a place in the team. First day of series so time will tell

BigAl68

Über Member
Pff. The usual rubbish

green1

Über Member
The same old dross. Safe selections and a negative mindset. Neither will change with cook and moores at the helm.

And I bet they select Strauss above Vaughan or Stewart as the 'whatever' of English cricket (replacing an out-of-touch Paul Downton). It's always the establishment types and the 'network' of knobs in the city who look after themselves.

I think Vaughan, and to a lesser extent, Stewart, would actually try to change the tried-and failed mindset that has plagued English cricket for far too long. That England had a decent team 4-10 years ago was in spite of the set-up, not because of it.

Ex cricketers in, businessmen, with self-interest foremost, out. ASAFP!

Last edited:
I have to say that it certainly looks like it's time for a total change of the structure and philosophy of English cricket. The handling of KP, the nonsensical approach to one day cricket, Ben Stokes, is he in or is he out, the same could have been said about the ballance debacle prior to and during the world cup, replacing Cook with a player who has a worse record over the last two years or so, going backwards to bring in Peter Moores again and I could go on. Who on earth is making these decisions.
Looks like Bell and Root have steadied the ship for now anyway.

OP
OP
psmiffy
I went out just after lunch (their lunch) and have just come back in - pleasantly surprised - Root out a few overs ago for 83 - Bell working his way to a hundred - 223 for 4 - not exactly caning it tho - but out of small acorns :smile:

"Pwouder and pwouder"

OP
OP
psmiffy
341 for 5 at close - a fair effort - dispelled the feelings of doom and gloom that were prevalent in the first hour or so - On watching the replay Cooke got a good ball - so will reserve judgement - but Trott they were after him first ball with one at leg as he shuffled to off

Top Bottom