Wahoo elemnt help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cambsno

Been using mine for a while, lovely piece of kit. But I do have a few niggles:

1. If I deviate from a route, it spends forever trying to get me to turn round and get back on track - fine, but I may want to carry on from there and it works out the route from there but not seen how to do that.
  2. Watts (avg) - this simply says N/A, how do you get that to work?
  3. Distance to end - this always says N/A even when I am on a Komoot route - how can that tell me how many miles left on my trip?
Thanks in advance for any help on these.

Been using mine for a while, lovely piece of kit. But I do have a few niggles:

1. If I deviate from a route, it spends forever trying to get me to turn round and get back on track - fine, but I may want to carry on from there and it works out the route from there but not seen how to do that.
  2. Watts (avg) - this simply says N/A, how do you get that to work?
  3. Distance to end - this always says N/A even when I am on a Komoot route - how can that tell me how many miles left on my trip?
Thanks in advance for any help on these.
1. The Elemnt does not have re-routing capabilities. It warns (I think) 3 times when off route, then falls silent.
Even that can be minimised in the app.
If you go back on the route it will recognise that and repeat the process if you veer off again.
2. You will need to pair your power meter with the app.
3. If gone off route it cannot show distance to end! Once back on route it should. If it's not, simply end the route (not the ride) and reload the route. It should then show the distance to end.

The Elemnt is a great piece of kit and now discontinued. Mind it!^_^

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Agree with Hobbes... on no.1: It will nag if you go off route, but it will recognise when you're back on the route even if you join later / further along. I've done that a few times in Cambridge and in other towns where I had a distant destination but wandered off to look at stuff off route. Just try and ignore it, and it will revert to normal once you're back on the planned route. To reroute on the fly you need to replan it in your chosen app, then sync it to the Elemnt.

Yes if "off piste" it warns for a few mins then gives up, it flashes orange on the top LEDs as well.

And as mentioned you'll need a PM and to synch it, easy enough to do.

Roam is the better option if you want to use for GPS functions.

OP
OP
C

cambsno

Sorry, meant to have said it was the Elemnt Roam.

The other day it must have told me 5 or 6 times to turn back to get on route, so to re-route, I actually need to re-route?

My bad on point 2 - I thought the cadence sensor would do that too.

Sorry, meant to have said it was the Elemnt Roam.

The other day it must have told me 5 or 6 times to turn back to get on route, so to re-route, I actually need to re-route?

My bad on point 2 - I thought the cadence sensor would do that too.
In the app you can switch re-routing on or off.
You can also specify how much or little you want to be warned about it. I go off route all the time and mine does nothing.
I am used to an Elemnt so have rerouting off. If using it the chevrons are blue.
When I tested it, I found rerouting to be fast - but I'm in a pretty big city with lots of options. Sometimes a unit just can't find a route so will try again. And again.
I'm guessing you were in an area without a lot of options, or at least few that the maps recognised as cyclable.

The problem with most gps units is that they lack processing power for "good" and "fast" on unit routing.

You can always save your destination as a "favourite", then any time you're off route, select that favourite as your destination and away you go. (Route quality may vary).

If you tend to go off route a lot and use turn by turn directions (Komoot/RWGPS) you'll find the last instruction stays on the screen. Annoying.
Plotting a route on cycle.travel and saving as a gpx will lose the turn by turn instructions and give you a breadcrumb trail to follow. Superior screen display for those of us who use a gps as a guide not a god.

Top Bottom