Wahoo ELMNT - Changes from MPH to KPH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
lol are you serious?
Wahoo devices are the best on the market, end of chat.
All the old boys in the club who climb slow with garmins, auto pause comes on. Terrible cycle computers

Well change the auto pause settings then. Bad workmen blame their tools. P.S. Can your Wahoo last 60 hours between charges? Depends on the application as to which is best. Wahoo's have many faults as well.

lane

Veteran
An upgrade to my garmin stopped it working altogether. Not impressed so not purchased another. Wahoo, not had it long, but seems very good so far. Although I guess at the price it should be.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
The app updated on mine, it's shoot there was nothing wrong with the old app. why do they do upgrades that are no good. It set mine all to metrics, do they not know miles are for men kilometers for kids.:wacko:

Milzy

Guru
Well change the auto pause settings then. Bad workmen blame their tools. P.S. Can your Wahoo last 60 hours between charges? Depends on the application as to which is best. Wahoo's have many faults as well.
I’ve told them to. The longest rides I do are 8.5 hours so I don’t need such long Battery life or I would have bought a Bryton for £80 with about 90 hours battery life.
The Garmin software interface is horrible & boring looking. I used Garmins for 5 years until the bolt came out, I’ll never look back.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Which Garmins last 60 hours on one charge?

My Edge 500 lasts 12-14 hours. (My old Garmin Etrex can do 24-30 hours on one pair of AAs though, and they are easy to replace.)

My cousin has a Wahoo Elemnt Bolt. I liked it and would buy one myself if I had the cash to do so.

lane

Veteran
I think an Etrex is still a good option for long rides and tours. I still use mine sometimes even though I have an element. My 500 was OK until an update bricked it.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I think an Etrex is still a good option for long rides and tours. I still use mine sometimes even though I have an element. My 500 was OK until an update bricked it.
I use the Etrex for navigation (which I can't get the 500 to do reliably) and just use the 500 as a sophisticated bike computer.

I have a newer Etrex with a colour screen but I can't read the screen properly in strong sunlight so I went back to the old model which has a reflective greyscale screen ideal for bright conditions. I think the Wahoo's screen is similar?

PS On reflection (forgive the pun!), the problem was specifically when there was bright sunlight from behind me so the GPS was in my shadow. Then the only way I could read the screen was to have the backlight on. With the sun shining on the screen it was ok. The answer is probably to leave the backlight on at a bright setting and carry a spare pair of batteries on very long rides in case the backlight drained the batteries.

Last edited:

lane

Veteran
Wahoo is supposed to be OK in bright sunlight. I haven't had mine long but was OK today which was sunny is about all I can say - yes it is greyscale. I did have an issue with my etrex in sunlight but purchased some sort of film to put over the screen which I think helped. I can't say for sure because I found I had cataracts at about the same time and gettng them sorted probably helped. The film for the etrex screen might be worth a try though if you want to use the colour version.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Which Garmins last 60 hours on one charge?

My Edge 500 lasts 12-14 hours. (My old Garmin Etrex can do 24-30 hours on one pair of AAs though, and they are easy to replace.)

My cousin has a Wahoo Elemnt Bolt. I liked it and would buy one myself if I had the cash to do so.

ETrex on the latest rechargeable AAs. You get the benefit of improvements in battery tech without needing to upgrade the units or buy replacements. They also just work, super reliable, never crashes, ever. I also get to install exactly the mapping I want with nothing extra or what others thought would be best.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
There has been a few issues since the change. When I record my rides the average speed also incudes my stops. So the clock never stops.

But on strava the average speed is my average moving speed and not total time.

I have been trying to set it up like this for ages.

Maybe Wahoo can read minds now. ^_^

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
There has been a few issues since the change. When I record my rides the average speed also incudes my stops. So the clock never stops.

But on strava the average speed is my average moving speed and not total time.

I have been trying to set it up like this for ages.

Maybe Wahoo can read minds now. ^_^
Ah ... The "moving speed" conundrum. This is more of an issue for websites such as Strava that crunch the gpx/tcx data than it is for the devices.

Moving speed helps riders feel good about themselves by making them seem to have gone faster than they actually did. It tends to be cooked up by the website (Strava, RWGPS etc),which figures out when you were stopped, independent of the recording device. This is why it may disagree with the figure shown on the device at the time of riding, as the device may also have some kind of auto stop detection.

If you want actual (rather than moving) speed on the website you're on to a loser. The nearest you can really get is the "pace" data in RWGPS.

I had an email discussion with support at RWGPS some years ago and they said that actual speed was a valuable feature that they planned to add soon. Of course that didn't happen.

FWIW my GPS device displays both actual and "estimated moving" average speeds, and "total elapsed" and "estimated stopped" time on one screen. The stopped time figure is handy to keep an eye on during long rides.

But it's trickier to extract that info from a website.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom