Wahoo Silent Kickr/Kickr Core Faults

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tinse

I almost read through this whole thread and just wonder if anyone knows what is Wahoos take on customers changing the belt tension etc tinkering? Is there a risk of voiding the warranty? I mean especially if one decides to loosen the belt just in case and later there is noise or vibration problems.

I could get Core for a reasonable price from a local shop but wonder if it's like shooting myself in the leg.

munckster

Hi,

I got a Kickr Core in late november. Ridden 7 hours on it so far. But it have developped a squeaky sound.

See video for reference (not mine, but exactly the same noise).

Is this the belt tension being too high? Is it too late to fix the problem?

Thanks all.

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
My 2nd Kickr has begun to make a vibration yesterday.:cry: I'm going to report it on Monday if it hasn't settled down. 200miles or so before noise appeared. Not touched this one at all

bridgy

Legendary Member
I almost read through this whole thread and just wonder if anyone knows what is Wahoos take on customers changing the belt tension etc tinkering? Is there a risk of voiding the warranty? I mean especially if one decides to loosen the belt just in case and later there is noise or vibration problems.

I could get Core for a reasonable price from a local shop but wonder if it's like shooting myself in the leg.
When Andy brought this all to light I was in the process of deciding between a Kickr and Tacx Neo so I emailed Wahoo customer service. They reassured me that the problems were now resolved (to their credit they didn't try and deny them) but they also made it clear that doing any work on the trainer yourself would void the warranty. I'm pretty confident Wahoo are the sort of company who will (eventually) sort the issue and replace any faulty trainers in good faith but I didn't want the potential hassle and time without a trainer if it did have to be replaced - so I bought the Neo and am very happy with it.

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
Ah feck it. Looks like my 18 has started to exhibit the dreaded rattle/rumble/knock. Started to get a feeling of a pulse in the pedals every 3 or 4 strokes about 17 or 18k into my ride today. Got off the bike to check the crankset/pedals as this was similar to the failed BB that I had. No movement like last time, so seems good.

Back on bike and a short while later the pulse is every down stroke :blink:. Get off the bike and spin the cranks by hand and feel nothing. Back on and restart and now I'm getting a rumble that's not sounding good. Stop riding get off of the bike and spin the cranks by hand and the rumble has gone away.

I'll give it a go tomorrow to try and record it and then contact wahoo/wiggle about a swap out.

Great start to the new year :banghead:

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Ah feck it. Looks like my 18 has started to exhibit the dreaded rattle/rumble/knock. Started to get a feeling of a pulse in the pedals every 3 or 4 strokes about 17 or 18k into my ride today. Got off the bike to check the crankset/pedals as this was similar to the failed BB that I had. No movement like last time, so seems good.

Back on bike and a short while later the pulse is every down stroke :blink:. Get off the bike and spin the cranks by hand and feel nothing. Back on and restart and now I'm getting a rumble that's not sounding good. Stop riding get off of the bike and spin the cranks by hand and the rumble has gone away.

I'll give it a go tomorrow to try and record it and then contact wahoo/wiggle about a swap out.

Great start to the new year :banghead:

Boxers is it a knock/clunk per stroke ? If it is then the K118 kit will fix it

theboxers

Boxers is it a knock/clunk per stroke ? If it is then the K118 kit will fix it
That what it started like. It may be doing other stuff now. I'll do a test tomorrow to try and record it then get in touch with wahoo/wiggle.

Thanks for the info.

Velochris

Über Member
That what it started like. It may be doing other stuff now. I'll do a test tomorrow to try and record it then get in touch with wahoo/wiggle.

Thanks for the info.

Mine (purchased a few weeks ago) started squeeking. Everything else feels fine but Wahoo state it is faulty.

Their current stance is to offer two options.

1) Fast way - send out the parts for you to repair yourself and get $100 dollar credit to redeem with them within 1 month.

2 Slower way - go on the waiting list for a replacement. Keep the faulty one until they ship a new one. They will then include labels to return the original. No word on waiting times yet.

Of course you are within your statutory rights to return to the seller for a full refund. Problem is if you want another Kickr, you may purchase yet another faulty one.

theboxers

Mine (purchased a few weeks ago) started squeeking. Everything else feels fine but Wahoo state it is faulty.

Their current stance is to offer two options.

1) Fast way - send out the parts for you to repair yourself and get $100 dollar credit to redeem with them within 1 month.

2 Slower way - go on the waiting list for a replacement. Keep the faulty one until they ship a new one. They will then include labels to return the original. No word on waiting times yet.

Of course you are within your statutory rights to return to the seller for a full refund. Problem is if you want another Kickr, you may purchase yet another faulty one.
Yeah I'd rather have a replacement and try again. I spent money on a climb and want to run that with the silent (:laugh:) kickr18. If push comes to shove and the neo adapter comes along I'll end up with a Neo and climb if this don't get sorted :banghead:

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Hi CXRAndy

I am also interested in your new solution. Could you kindly PM me your findings! Thanks!

My solution didn't provide long term result. The bearings on the flywheel are failing prematurely hence noise, followed by noise with vibration. I've now requested my money back and bought a Tacx. Its a shame really I really like Wahoo products and had the 2014 Kickr for 4 years without a problem.

Top Bottom