Walking/ Hiking boots?.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

keithmac

Guru
Hello all, just interested if people can recommend a decent pair of boots for walks and hikes etc.

Don't want to spend good money and have them fall to bits!.

They will be getting a fair bit of use, paths/ grass/ gravel/ wet rocks etc.

Cheers, Keith.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
One word "Merrell"

Asa Post

Super Iconic Legend
Being an older person, I've had quite a few pairs of boots over the years.
I've currently got a pair of Altberg Tetheras, and they are easily the best I've ever owned.

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
Hello all, just interested if people can recommend a decent pair of boots for walks and hikes etc.

Don't want to spend good money and have them fall to bits!.

They will be getting a fair bit of use, paths/ grass/ gravel/ wet rocks etc.

Cheers, Keith.
Get properly 'fitted' for a pair...
Worth it all in the end,
I got my last pair done that way...
by a traditional boot shop, none of these cut-price Outdoor stores.....

Drago

Legendary Member
Highlander or Salomon. SAR practitioners use little else.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
I've had some Meindl Borneo boots for ages they cost me about £120, seem to have went up a bit for the new version. They are superb. I was told with leather boots not to get Goretex as it makes your feet sweat with leather. I haven't a clue if that is true or not. But leather boots that are reguarly waxed/treated should not leak in my experience, I've had no issues at all with mine, excellent boots.

For knocking about in everyday and walking over terrain not that rough I like Merrell Intercept. I just wear them as trainers, I'd never go up a mountain in them though. I prefer ankle support and better stiffer/thicker soles, better everything really. They last forever though, but I find Merrell sizing to be crazy, different sizes for different models, as I have 3 different types of Merrell trainer type things. I have a 9 in one, 9 1/2 in another and 10 in Intercept.

My brother is a mountain guide and he usually gets Scarpa.

I guess it depends if you want 3 or 4 season boots. My Meindl are 3 season boots so I believe. I've used them in all kinds of weather, but I guess if you wanted to use crampons for ice and snow, you'd want a 4 season boot as the sole wouldn't hardly flex, which would make them more uncomfortable at a guess. Mine are heavy duty, but still comfortable, with some sole flex.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Scarpa, but they cost bit. If you are going to be hiking/scrambling on rough mountain terrain with a fairly heavy pack, leather boots tend to give better ankle support than fabric ones...….an least, that used to be the wisdom.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I've just bought my second pair of Brasher Country Roamer walking shoes in the Millets sale. Had the last pair three years and wore them every day near enough. Most comfortable shoes I've ever had.
Mrs D has Brasher shoes and boots, and is extremely happy with them.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Altberg are great boots. Often have good deals on if you are near their shop and factory - Richmond in North Yorks. They will make you your own last if you have the wedge.
Meindl cripple me: they make a forestry boot I made the mistake of buying on spec.. As said, many boots have very varying lasts.
I work outdoors every day. Best without waterproof liners imho. Once it has a hole in it’s useless, and you feel hot and sweaty on better days.
William Lennon in Derbyshire make great boots. If you want really big calves get a pair of their shepherds boots in kip leather. Sprung soles and hobnails. You’ll be the envy of the neighbourhood when summer comes back round

Top Bottom