Walking/ Hiking boots?.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JPBoothy

Veteran
I've just bought a new pair of North Face Hedgehog walking boots. They fitted really well and have a Goretex lining.
View attachment 487595
That's good to hear as I'm always wary of the names that seem to becoming fashionable rather than because they are a good product. Every schoolboy seems to have a North Face, or Jack Wolfskin bag/coat or hoodee at the moment.. Any views on Mountain Warehouse or Regatta products?

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
That's good to hear as I'm always wary of the names that seem to becoming fashionable rather than because they are a good product. Every schoolboy seems to have a North Face, or Jack Wolfskin bag/coat or hoodee at the moment.. Any views on Mountain Warehouse or Regatta products?
Personally, I wouldn't buy Regatta. In recent years I have bought a pair of boots and walking shoes, and within a year the upper was starting to come away from the soles letting in moisture. They are the cheaper end of the market. Remember the old adage, Buy cheap, buy twice. My earlier boots lasted nearly 25 years and then I had a couple of years with Regatta. Never again.

Smudge

Veteran
I wouldn't consider Regatta, or Hi-Tec come to that, hiking boots. Some of them may look like hiking boots, but that's as far as it goes. I've had both these makes before and they're just cheaply made, low quality boots with the type of lightweight soles that wear through quickly, with hollow areas in the sole.
Ok for walking to the pub, or walking the dog in the local park..... and only when its dry.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
A vote for traditional leather boots from me.

Can't see any branding but I have a pair that look like a cheaper version of the Scarpa 'Terra'. Got them as hand-me-downs from my brother, and that was over 3 decades ago.
They do regular service on weekend walks and I recently wore them for most of a week in the Lake District. Very comfortable (after initial breaking-in).

If I ever need to replace them, something of similar construction will be top of my list.

Salar

A fish out of water
Any views on Mountain Warehouse or Regatta products?

I have proper leather boots for hiking when I walk out in the wilds, too risky to use anything of dodgy manufacture.

I wouldn't normally trust the likes of Regatta or Mountain Warehouse.

However I needed a cheapo pair of lightweight trainer type shoes a few months ago to take the dog to the fields near me.

I came across these on special offer for £7.99 at Amaz0n.

https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/outdoor-mens-walking-shoes-p16333.aspx/dark grey/

I expected rubbish and I could probably use the laces, or use them for knocking around the house in but they are still going strong after a few months under my heavy bulk dog walking.

The reviews on Amaz0n say the soles are thin, but mine seem ok. Obviously not for proper hiking or anything serious, I wouldn't trust them, but at that price I can't complain. Not sure if the offer is still on.

Last edited:
if you want leather brasher are very good. best waterproof protection
https://www.brasher.co.uk/mens/250723-brs-m-country-walk.html
( i have the old hillmaster brasher and they are bomb proof but very heavy so i don't wear them much any more)

nowadays i have Meindl respond. i have the boot and shoe of these because they are so comfy. the goretex is good for a few years but you need to treat it with nikwax after.
https://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/p/m...MIl_6glJ6A5QIVEXiGCh1fJAc4EAQYAiABEgK2QPD_BwE

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I'm in the local (Cumbrian) mountains a lot scrambling & hiking and by a country mile these are the best all year round boots that I have ever owned.

https://obozfootwear.com/en-gb/products/mens-bridger-mid-b-dry-waterproof

Super grippy, genuine out of the box comfort, waterproof and very robust. Complete with a superb insole that knocks every other manufacturers supplied insole into the proverbial cocked hat.

I used to use Salomon for years but they moved away from 100% using Contagrip soles - I was wearing a pair on Slab & Notch (Pillar Rock) which is a roped scramble with a hefty drop beneath some 5 years or so back and on a slippery outward sloping wet ledge my weight supporting foot simply slid away from me. Very, very scary and I vowed then never to use the things again.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Another thought: my current mid-weight boots are Salewa and they have been great. OK with crampons at least for walking and used in summer in the alpa and scotland (walking) in winter & summer. Leightweight leather rather than canvass.

Re goretex - I don't think it's at all desirable on leather boots, but maybe debatable for canvas boots, albeit I'd still perhaps tend to avoid.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Highlander or Salomon. SAR practitioners use little else.
I seem to have Salomon shaped feet so they suit me just fine, although one of the lace hooks has come off my latest pair. Does anybody know if they're replaceable?

Top Bottom