Walking/ Hiking boots?.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Innov8 have some great lightweight trail running shoes suitable for your purposes. Good sole units to stop slipping on steep terrain.

These are what I wear.

That's like claiming that you can't break your leg because it's got bones.

Err not quite equivalent.

Our ankle ligaments are designed to be flexible and strong, in normal uses, originally when we went barefoot.

You can break any part of you, with enough impact or trauma, for sure.

But normal, or even quite gnarly walking won't break your ligaments, under usual conditions.

It's only my experience (well quite a few others experience too) that mobility and agility is in fact enhanced in lighter shoes.

You watch your step, and foot placement, and generally have better awareness.

Otherwise fell runners would wear heavy boots for the stuff they do yes??

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
These are what I wear.

Err not quite equivalent.

Our ankle ligaments are designed to be flexible and strong, in normal uses, originally when we went barefoot.

But normal, or even quite gnarly walking won't break your ligaments, under usual conditions.

It's only my experience (well quite a few others experience too) that mobility and agility is in fact enhanced in lighter shoes.

If your ankles don't need some support on rough terrain, I'd imagine you would see a lot more "well 'ard" mountain men pirouetting along more challenging routes in ballet shoes. As the guy in Cotswold camping told me all those years ago.....

"Well, I suppose fabric boots are OK for loafing about down in the valleys...…"

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine

I quite regularly backpack across terrain such as this :rolleyes:

For days on end wearing just* innovate trail runners .

I wouldn't describe myself as 'well' ard ' though..
.. Definitely more of a pirouetter

* and socks n trousers n shirt.. For the avoidance of doubt.. :rolleyes:

View attachment 487768

I quite regularly backpack across terrain such as this :rolleyes:

For days on end wearing just* innovate trail runners .

I wouldn't describe myself as 'well' ard ' though..
.. Definitely more of a pirouetter

* and socks n trousers n shirt.. For the avoidance of doubt.. :rolleyes:

Tend to agtee. I mainly use trail runners these days. The boots mainly come out if its boggy as the water proofing (leather) is better and the "ankle support" acts like a short welly.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
@keithmac Hope you eventually manage to make a decision following all the advice.

Just one further comment. With a quality pair of well dubbined leather boots you can be sure they are water proof. Add a pair of gaiters and you can plunge on through shallow streams, boggy areas etc. without fear of getting wet feet.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk

It's a growing school of thought, for sure.

JPBoothy

Veteran
Just bought these for £32 at millets, got some good deals on at the moment.

They'll do for general walking and dogging duties 🥾🐶 View attachment 487841
Is it their own brand? What's the sole/inner like? I'm not going to give mine too much punishment so just need them stiff enough to not feel any stones underneath.. I appreciate the old adage about 'only getting what you pay for' but, I really do not need the top brands/specs for the walks that I do.

potsy

Rambler
Is it their own brand? What's the sole/inner like? I'm not going to give mine too much punishment so just need them stiff enough to not feel any stones underneath.. I appreciate the old adage about 'only getting what you pay for' but, I really do not need the top brands/specs for the walks that I do.
No, Hi Tec, will be testing them out later but the fit is nice and they feel comfortable enough so far.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
No, Hi Tec, will be testing them out later but the fit is nice and they feel comfortable enough so far.
I think you'll find that you won't get up many 8K peaks in those, unlike some boots recommended on the thread.

I expect you'll get over the feelings of inadequacy. Stay strong brave dogger ^_^

OP
OP
keithmac

keithmac

Guru
Hello all, sorry for late reply but I've been flat out all week.

I do prefer a boot with ankle support personally but as everyone says the fit is most important.

All the replies have been very helpful and I'll read though again when I'm ready to spend the ££ (at a proper shop after trying a few on).

It's mainly for Scout duties, we end up walking through all sorts of terrain and weather during the year so waterproof is top of the list!.

We've started doing a bit of walking with friends as well so it'll be a worthwhile investment.

I view it the same as my tools really, buy right or buy twice!.

JPBoothy

Veteran
I decided to take a look at what is on display in the shops today and they all looked the same! Okay, I'll ask the experts who sell them I thought. Big mistake, as they are literally just sales people who want to sell what makes the most commission for them. The uppers appear to be very similar, and it is the sole/in-sole that I'm more interested in so that I'm not feeling every stone and my legs/feet don't ache like mad afterwards. Hard or soft & bouncy ?

JPBoothy

Veteran
One word "Merrell"
I gave just taken delivery of (after trying in the shop first) A pair of Merrell Moab Ventilator shoes, so on your head be it young man :angry:

Only joking of course.. I have researched and tried on so many different brands and these felt the best but, I suppose only using them will be the proof of that.. I don't like doing the dirty on the local shops by shopping on line but they were almost half the price so it was a no brainer really. What made it better though was them getting lost in the post and me getting my postage fee refunded as well!

Thanks for all of your advice though folks it was a great help :okay:

Top Bottom