Walking/ Hiking boots?.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Another satisfied long-term Scarpa wearer here...
However, for most walking except really cold conditions or very rough ground, I find good trekking sandals are fab. Easy to slip on and off, no worries about water and generally more comfortable. I’ve discovered that my feet are very rain and poor-weather tolerant and that the so-called ‘ankle support’ of full walking boots etc. is simply unnecessary for a lot of walking conditions.

Last edited:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I gave just taken delivery of (after trying in the shop first) A pair of Merrell Moab Ventilator shoes, so on your head be it young man :angry:

Only joking of course.. I have researched and tried on so many different brands and these felt the best but, I suppose only using them will be the proof of that.. I don't like doing the dirty on the local shops by shopping on line but they were almost half the price so it was a no brainer really. What made it better though was them getting lost in the post and me getting my postage fee refunded as well!

Thanks for all of your advice though folks it was a great help :okay:

Did you get the Gore-tex lined ones?

JPBoothy

Veteran
Did you get the Gore-tex lined ones?
I don't know to be honest as some reviews mention it and some don't. I'm sure is would be plastered all over the box if they were so I'll say not. They are called the moab 2 Ventilator. I don't venture out in the rain if I can avoid it so I'm not bothered really.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I don't know to be honest as some reviews mention it and some don't. I'm sure is would be plastered all over the box if they were so I'll say not. They are called the moab 2 Ventilator. I don't venture out in the rain if I can avoid it so I'm not bothered really.

It'd say on the box and boot if they were.

Not so much for going out in the rain but walking across wet grassy fields without a WP membrane will saturate your boots/socks.

JPBoothy

Veteran
It'd say on the box and boot if they were.

Not so much for going out in the rain but walking across wet grassy fields without a WP membrane will saturate your boots/socks.
I should be okay as I'll be keeping my old Karrimor boots for the wet/muddy stuff, the shoes are more for walking on hard surfaces 👍

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Scarpa. Had mine 35 years, but they are starting to show their age, unlike me :-)
The wife bought a pair yesterday. She loves them. Walked about 7 miles so far.says it's like walking on air.

I have proper leather boots for hiking when I walk out in the wilds, too risky to use anything of dodgy manufacture.

I wouldn't normally trust the likes of Regatta or Mountain Warehouse.

However I needed a cheapo pair of lightweight trainer type shoes a few months ago to take the dog to the fields near me
I expected rubbish and I could probably use the laces, or use them for knocking around the house in but they are still going strong after a few months under my heavy bulk dog walking.

These are my Regatta lowland hiking and winter cycling shoes. The Isotexfabric is not as waterproof as advertised but they are quite durable and lightweight. The shoe style with boot-like high front is useful for keeping out crud.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I ordered some boots from fleabay this morning. Technically not walking or hiking boots,but they are described as 'country' boots,so i presume they are intended for country walks besides just general wear. They are Loake tan brogue boots.

1572086837334.png

They cost me £220. Some will say it's a lot of money,but i bought some so called country boots from Matalan the other week and they're not good quality. Comfy yes,but the leather's like cardboard! I've watched you tube vids about Loake boots.

It seems the company would be better off supplying a box of elastoplaste with each pair, as i reckon breaking them in will take some time and lots of pain!

potsy

Rambler
Thread resurrection time..

I need a decent pair of boots for day hikes, looking at the options I am heading towards Scarpa or Altberg.
Any new thoughts from those that have purchased boots recently?

Definitely want leather this time as I have a nice comfortable canvas Merrell pair already which are good for better weather walks.

Top Bottom