Walking/ Hiking boots?.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Thread resurrection time..

I need a decent pair of boots for day hikes, looking at the options I am heading towards Scarpa or Altberg.
Any new thoughts from those that have purchased boots recently?

Definitely want leather this time as I have a nice comfortable canvas Merrell pair already which are good for better weather walks.

I have gone through a good number of boots over the years and for day hikes through to top grade scrambling these have been far and away the best and are my current boots of choice:

https://obozfootwear.com/en-gb/product/mens-bridger-mid-waterproof

Milzy

Guru
Lowa GTX will last 15 years.

Chief Broom

Veteran
i get mine on ebay 2nd hand Altberg army boots They come in different grades= the more you pay the better they are, Good boots/ good value

Go to somewhere people walk like the Lakes or North Wales and find a decent shop. You need to try them on for for and take their advice. Absolutely no point in listening to strangers on here - they have different feet.

andabby

Über Member
One word "Merrell"

Just order a size bigger i found.

For what you are walking on, I used to use Berghaus shoes, that were lasting about 6 months. Have been wearing a pair of Salomon for about a year and still got tread til winter time i hope.

Have Scarpa boots from when they worked with Berghaus, they must be 30 odd years old and still going strong

Last edited:

potsy

Rambler
Just order a size bigger i found
I ordered half a size bigger for mine and they seem fine, very comfortable.
Got some of the ventilator shoes for summer but they gave me blisters!

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I ordered some boots from fleabay this morning. Technically not walking or hiking boots,but they are described as 'country' boots,so i presume they are intended for country walks besides just general wear. They are Loake tan brogue boots.

View attachment 490576
They cost me £220. Some will say it's a lot of money,but i bought some so called country boots from Matalan the other week and they're not good quality. Comfy yes,but the leather's like cardboard! I've watched you tube vids about Loake boots.

It seems the company would be better off supplying a box of elastoplaste with each pair, as i reckon breaking them in will take some time and lots of pain!

Loakes, particularly their better ranges are exceptional value. A pair of Crockett & Jones would be at least double that brand new. OK Crocketts are lovely, but I'm nit sure they're twice as lovely as the Loakes. If they're leather soled, you can get them redone with rubber commando soles when they wear through. I've done that with a few of my heavier "country" brogues over the years

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I got issued some Meindl desert fox for serving in Iraq years back and they were so good, I bought Meindl for civvy hiking use from then on. I'm on a pair of Meindl Bhutan at the moment, 3 years in and still perfect.
I agree that an Internet recommendation means zilch, you have to try some and see if they work for your shape of foot. But I'd try Meindl, Lowa, and Scarpa to start with. Merrell are floaty, foamy soft rubbish, rugged trainers, no more than that.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Loakes, particularly their better ranges are exceptional value. A pair of Crockett & Jones would be at least double that brand new. OK Crocketts are lovely, but I'm nit sure they're twice as lovely as the Loakes. If they're leather soled, you can get them redone with rubber commando soles when they wear through. I've done that with a few of my heavier "country" brogues over the years
Yeah,Crocket and Jones are highly priced seeing as they're no better than Loake 1880's (their top of the range), in my opinion. You pay for the name and if you like the name then fine. Those in the know will know that you can afford a £450 -500 pair of boots, but around here they think you're 'posh' if you aren't wearing trainers:rolleyes:, so my Loakes are enough to impress for me. I wouldn't buy any leather soled boots/shoes again. I have 2 pairs of leather soled shoes and both are dodgy to walk in when it's wet outside and i also find them slippery on synthetic material carpets. I might buy some of those stick on rubber soles for them, but seeing that both are summer(ish) shoes it'll wait till next year.

Badger_Boom

Über Member
Just order a size bigger i found.

For what you are walking on, I used to use Berghaus shoes, that were lasting about 6 months. Have been wearing a pair of Salomon for about a year and still got tread til winter time i hope.

Have Scarpa boots from when they worked with Berghaus, they must be 30 odd years old and still going strong
Me too. I bought mine in Edinburgh in about 1994. They’re in need of resoling but otherwise in fantastic condition.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I bought these nearly 4 years ago. I don't do much 'off road/pavement' walking these days, if any at all.

Badger_Boom

Über Member
Yeah,Crocket and Jones are highly priced seeing as they're no better than Loake 1880's (their top of the range), in my opinion. You pay for the name and if you like the name then fine. Those in the know will know that you can afford a £450 -500 pair of boots, but around here they think you're 'posh' if you aren't wearing trainers:rolleyes:, so my Loakes are enough to impress for me. I wouldn't buy any leather soled boots/shoes again. I have 2 pairs of leather soled shoes and both are dodgy to walk in when it's wet outside and i also find them slippery on synthetic material carpets. I might buy some of those stick on rubber soles for them, but seeing that both are summer(ish) shoes it'll wait till next year.
I’ve worn almost nothing but Loake 747B Oxfords for work for about 20 years. They’re comfortable and look good, and last well. I’ve always found that leather soles are fine even in the wet once they’re worn in a bit, except on the strangely lethal paving stones favoured by Leeds council.

Top Bottom