walking through red lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
I believe you remain a cyclist when pushing a bike on the road, and only become a pedestrian if you carry it (ie. wheels off the road).

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Seen plenty of threads on here relating to going over crossings (therefore on the road) where the, generally accepted, stated legal situation was:

‘on bike’ cyclist,
‘pushing bike’ ped,

with a bit of an undecided grey area when discussing using it like a scooter with one foot on a pedal.

I’m 95% sure there was a thread where the ‘carrying’ argument was shown to be a fallacy?

col

Legendary Member
If we had a motorbike,and got off to push through a red,would that be a ped?

col

Legendary Member
I didnt think so either,but wondered as its similar to pushing whatever vehicle we use to get through reds without waiting isnt it?Thats why even us on bikes shouldnt do it?

MERV

Keith Oates said:
I was always of the opinion that pushing the bike was the same as being a pedestrian!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.;)

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Difficult to actually find something to back up either position. What I did find was the traffic management act 2004, 6,d
It mentions someone riding a cycle separately from those mechanically propelling a vehicle.

CopperBrompton

Could a car go through a red light if it was being pushed?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Ben Lovejoy said:
I believe you remain a cyclist when pushing a bike on the road, and only become a pedestrian if you carry it (ie. wheels off the road).

There was some judgement in court that if pushing your bike across a road walking, you are a pedestrian, after all it isn't any different than pushing a buggy, but if you scoot on it then you are technically cycling. And you are allowed to push your bike the wrong way down a one-way road ... one of the advantages over cars.

jonesy

Guru
summerdays said:
There was some judgement in court that if pushing your bike across a road walking, you are a pedestrian, after all it isn't any different than pushing a buggy, but if you scoot on it then you are technically cycling. And you are allowed to push your bike the wrong way down a one-way road ... one of the advantages over cars.

Indeed, and for the police to say otherwise would be extremely silly. One-way systems are there to control the direction of travel of vehicles, not people.

CopperBrompton

There have been conflicting rulings, I believe. There was a case back in the 70s where it was ruled that traffic did not have to accord precedence to a cyclist pushing a bike across a zebra crossing because the cyclist was not a pedestrian while the wheels were in contact with the road.

Ben

Top Bottom