1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

walking through red lights

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by Yellow Fang, 30 May 2008.

1. Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang Guru

Alright, cycling through red lights is illegal. What about getting off at the traffic light, walking your bike past it and getting back on? Is that illegal too? I expect somehow it is.

2. col

col Veteran

If you stay on the road,id guess it is,but getting onto the pavement isnt.

3. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

Traffic lights don't apply to pedestrians.

Obeying the red man isn't compulsory.

4. mr_cellophane

mr_cellophane Veteran

Highway Code
    Crossing the road

Do not ride across equestrian crossings, as they are for horse riders only. Do not ride across a pelican, puffin or zebra crossing. Dismount and wheel your cycle across.

Toucan crossings. These are light-controlled crossings which allow cyclists and pedestrians to share crossing space and cross at the same time. They are push-button operated. Pedestrians and cyclists will see the green signal together. Cyclists are permitted to ride across.

Cycle-only crossings. Cycle tracks on opposite sides of the road may be linked by signalled crossings. You may ride across but you MUST NOT cross until the green cycle symbol is showing.

[Law TSRGD regs 33(2) & 36(1)]

I take that to mean you can dismount and walk across at Traffic Lights but crossing at Cycle-only Crossings where the red bike is showing is RLJ and £30 fine.

5. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

You can do it but overall your journey will be quicker if you just stay on the road.

6. Animal

Animal New Member

The only exception is where the crossing also involves a tram crossing and a railway line and it's rush hour.

I regularly dismount, walk my bike across the road, hoik it over the footbrige, and zoom off up the road leaving the cagers fuming for a good 5 minutes while the train trundles along.

7. MERV

MERV New Member

I just wait till it goes green.;)

8. Mr Celine

Mr Celine Discordian

If you are walking your bike on the road you are propelling a vehicle so you must comply with traffic signs, which include red traffic lights.

So walk the bike onto the pavement before you pass the sign.;)

9. Disgruntled Goat

Disgruntled Goat New Member

You could always wait for the green light. Crazy I know....

10. Milo

Milo Veteran

Its ok in the eyes of the law but its a bit unsporting.

11. MERV

MERV New Member

Stoppit!:biggrin:

12. OP
    OP
    Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang Guru

What if you carry the bike across?

13. OP
    OP
    Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang Guru

Also, does a bike count as a vehicle or a carriage in this context?

14. mr_cellophane

mr_cellophane Veteran

I thought a bike (and even a pram) counted as a vehicle.

But the HC is very ambiguous

15. My ex's mum once got a ticking off from the police for wheeling (not riding) her bike the wrong way down a one way street. So I'd imagine they could also do you for pushing a bike through a red light.