walking through red lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Alright, cycling through red lights is illegal. What about getting off at the traffic light, walking your bike past it and getting back on? Is that illegal too? I expect somehow it is.

col

Legendary Member
If you stay on the road,id guess it is,but getting onto the pavement isnt.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
Highway Code
Crossing the road

Do not ride across equestrian crossings, as they are for horse riders only. Do not ride across a pelican, puffin or zebra crossing. Dismount and wheel your cycle across.

Toucan crossings. These are light-controlled crossings which allow cyclists and pedestrians to share crossing space and cross at the same time. They are push-button operated. Pedestrians and cyclists will see the green signal together. Cyclists are permitted to ride across.

Cycle-only crossings. Cycle tracks on opposite sides of the road may be linked by signalled crossings. You may ride across but you MUST NOT cross until the green cycle symbol is showing.

[Law TSRGD regs 33(2) & 36(1)]

I take that to mean you can dismount and walk across at Traffic Lights but crossing at Cycle-only Crossings where the red bike is showing is RLJ and £30 fine.

Animal

The only exception is where the crossing also involves a tram crossing and a railway line and it's rush hour.

I regularly dismount, walk my bike across the road, hoik it over the footbrige, and zoom off up the road leaving the cagers fuming for a good 5 minutes while the train trundles along.

Mr Celine

Discordian
Road Traffic Act 1988

36 Drivers to comply with traffic signs

(1) Where a traffic sign, being a sign—

(a) of the prescribed size, colour and type, or

(:blush: of another character authorised by the Secretary of State under the provisions in that behalf of the [1984 c. 27.] Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984,

has been lawfully placed on or near a road, a person driving or propelling a vehicle who fails to comply with the indication given by the sign is guilty of an offence.

If you are walking your bike on the road you are propelling a vehicle so you must comply with traffic signs, which include red traffic lights.

So walk the bike onto the pavement before you pass the sign.;)

Milo

Guru
Its ok in the eyes of the law but its a bit unsporting.

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Mr Celine said:
If you are walking your bike on the road you are propelling a vehicle so you must comply with traffic signs, which include red traffic lights.

So walk the bike onto the pavement before you pass the sign.:biggrin:

What if you carry the bike across?

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
Yellow Fang said:
Also, does a bike count as a vehicle or a carriage in this context?
I thought a bike (and even a pram) counted as a vehicle.

But the HC is very ambiguous

74On the right. If you are turning right, check the traffic to ensure it is safe, then signal and move to the centre of the road. Wait until there is a safe gap in the oncoming traffic and give a final look before completing the turn. It may be safer to wait on the left until there is a safe gap or to dismount and push your cycle across the road.

Mr Celine said:

So walk the bike onto the pavement before you pass the sign.:biggrin:

My ex's mum once got a ticking off from the police for wheeling (not riding) her bike the wrong way down a one way street. So I'd imagine they could also do you for pushing a bike through a red light.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Mr Celine said:

So walk the bike onto the pavement before you pass the sign.:ohmy:

Note: Generally (99.9%) I don't RLJ

I believe that a bike's classed as a carriage and you aren't a 'driver' therefore that quote doesn't apply?

Once off the bike and pushing it, you're classified as a pedestrian. You're not propelling a vehicle/carriage. Considering that theres no offence for peds being on the road (?) I can't see any way within the letter of the law that a cyclist could be prosecuted for getting off their bike and pushing it over the stop line to subsequently remount it and continue??

Not something I'd advocate. Just a train of thought I wondered if someone could refute with the relevant road law references?

Top Bottom