Wanting a turbo trainer that I can use online apps like Zwift etc.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I came to the conclusion that the tacx flow 2240 would be a good entry smart trainer @ £190-£220 ? - Thoughts ?

CXRAndy

Guru
I came to the conclusion that the tacx flow 2240 would be a good entry smart trainer @ £190-£220 ? - Thoughts ?

It has reasonable reviews for a budget trainer. The cadence output is erratic, so would require an additional sensor for reliable cadence. The Power is virtual (like the Bkool), so is calculated and not measured with a strain gauge etc. So accurate power might be a little dubious. Power reading which is consistent is more important. The maximum power reading is 800W, which should be sufficient for all but the bigger more powerful riders.

Gradients can be simulated upto 6%. That is quite low, so if you're a big powerful rider resistance might not feel any different once you get near 6% or more. Most of Zwifts hills are 6% or less except the Pretzel and a few short 10%.

For the budget it's ok,. Things start to get decent around the Tacx Flux Smart £615 from Wiggle with platinum membership

Tacx Genius is a wheel driven with a higher gradient simulation. Tyre pressure must monitored to give consistent reliable power readings

Last edited:

BurningLegs

Veteran

I have that trainer, and I think it is great value. Feel free to ask any specific questions you might have about it.

As CXRAndy has mentioned - cadence output can be unreliable, but there are a few tricks you can use to make it more reliable (e.g sometimes it will report a cadence of around 50 when you are really at 100) - changing up a gear on the bike helps to make it more reliable, especially in workouts. Not sure why, but I suppose when there is more resistance through the unit it does a better job of calculating cadence.

In terms of power output - I only have the one device so I can't say how accurate it is. That is an entire can of worms though, and as CXRAndy rightly pointed out, consistency is more important than accuracy. I definitely find the Tacx flow to be consistent - I ride quite frequently and have to say that the power numbers between rides are very consistent and accurately reflect how I am feeling that day.

I honestly don't know what benefit an extra £400 could deliver - the Tacx Flow does an excellent job of everything I need it for.

Daddy Pig

Veteran
I have that trainer, and I think it is great value. Feel free to ask any specific questions you might have about it.

As CXRAndy has mentioned - cadence output can be unreliable, but there are a few tricks you can use to make it more reliable (e.g sometimes it will report a cadence of around 50 when you are really at 100) - changing up a gear on the bike helps to make it more reliable, especially in workouts. Not sure why, but I suppose when there is more resistance through the unit it does a better job of calculating cadence.

In terms of power output - I only have the one device so I can't say how accurate it is. That is an entire can of worms though, and as CXRAndy rightly pointed out, consistency is more important than accuracy. I definitely find the Tacx flow to be consistent - I ride quite frequently and have to say that the power numbers between rides are very consistent and accurately reflect how I am feeling that day.

I honestly don't know what benefit an extra £400 could deliver - the Tacx Flow does an excellent job of everything I need it for.
That must be a first, @CXRAndy being called correct twice in the same post....

:laugh:

BurningLegs

Veteran
Nice find, Tommy.

@kingrollo - I’d recommend making that seller an offer if you’re happy with 2nd hand (maybe offer £240 and probably settle for around £250-£260) or go for the Flow if you’re happier with new.

wonderloaf

Veteran
I've got a Tacx Flow, and although it meets my needs (a 6% gradient is quite enough thank you) and it didn't cost as much as other smart trainers I think the quality is a bit lacking, I've got problems with the clips on the plastic cover (fixed with duct tape) and just started getting a clicking sound from the rollers on the last few seconds of rundown :banghead:

I use mine with a Samsung tablet and it connects via both ant+ and bluetooth, the ant+ connection seems to keep dropping out so given up with that and just use the bluetooth which actually gives a good reliable connection.

And as for the apps...:cursing: ... the Tacx Training and Tacx Utility apps now refuse to connect with it (although they were OK when I first bought it), but luckily the Tacx Cycling App works OK so at least I can carry training using that, although so far not been able to reliably upload workouts to my Tacx cloud account.

Reading around the www the problems I'm having are pretty typical and I should be contacting Tacx support but I really can't be ar**ed as I have a life to get on with, so I'll carry on using it until it goes bang and then buy another from a different manufacturer.

Shame really as I when I first got it thought it was brilliant but these niggly problems have gradually crept in and spoilt what really should be a good product, but I think Tacx quality control seems to be a bit lacking!

CXRAndy

Guru
I am lucky and made a good decision I think buying the Wahoo Kickr, it has been extremely reliable in mechanical operation and electric. 3 years now. If I get a couple more years, I would say its money well spent.

Jason

This will give you the necessary introduction into Zwift. Once you've got the bug, I'll reckon a smart trainer, large screen monitor will be your setup.:biggrin:

That's what i'm afraid of Andy!
The laptop is work provided, connected to a wall mounted 32" flat screen. The sounds a bit meh ,so youngest sprog is going to show me how to pipe that through his bedroom hi-fi system,as he's away at uni,and my bike mysteriously found it's way in there:bicycle:

Nice find, Tommy.

@kingrollo - I’d recommend making that seller an offer if you’re happy with 2nd hand (maybe offer £240 and probably settle for around £250-£260) or go for the Flow if you’re happier with new.

Whats the advantage of the genuis over the Flow ?

I probably won't be doing anything soon - I ve had a couple of Family bereavements and my head is all over the place ! I also spunked £2400 on a de rosa idol earlier in the week.

If a used flow for around £150 came up that might tempt me........

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
It has reasonable reviews for a budget trainer. The cadence output is erratic, so would require an additional sensor for reliable cadence. The Power is virtual (like the Bkool), so is calculated and not measured with a strain gauge etc. So accurate power might be a little dubious. Power reading which is consistent is more important. The maximum power reading is 800W, which should be sufficient for all but the bigger more powerful riders.

Gradients can be simulated upto 6%. That is quite low, so if you're a big powerful rider resistance might not feel any different once you get near 6% or more. Most of Zwifts hills are 6% or less except the Pretzel and a few short 10%.

For the budget it's ok,. Things start to get decent around the Tacx Flux Smart £615 from Wiggle with platinum membership

Tacx Genius is a wheel driven with a higher gradient simulation. Tyre pressure must monitored to give consistent reliable power readings
Even on my old vortex I had trainer difficulty turned down, the hard limit of the trainer can be somewhat cured.

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum

I probably won't be doing anything soon - I ve had a couple of Family bereavements and my head is all over the place ! I also spunked £2400 on a de rosa idol earlier in the week.

Condolences on your loss kingrollo.

Speaking from personal experience getting out on the bike is a good way of trying to stay sane in such circumstances so the new bike could be a good tonic for you. And a De Rosa idol too! I've been tempted myself in the past. They look like rocket ships. Which colour did you go for?

Keep your eye out on eBay and bike forums for second hand turbos I reckon. There's got to be a large proportion of people who move trainers on after barely using them at a hefty loss.

BurningLegs

Veteran

Sorry to hear about the bereavements, hopefully you can find some peace with the new bike!

The benefits of the Genius over the Flow are relatively small, but:
1. It supports a bigger maximum simulated gradient (I think 20% rather than 6%)
2. It supports a bigger maximum power output (1500W I think?)
3. It uses a motor so you will get increased realism on downhills (on the Flow if you coast down a hill you will be sat in silence as the wheel stops moving, on the Genius it will power the wheel forward as you coast down a hill)

In my opinion, the Genius isn't worth an extra £300 - £400 over the Flow brand new, but is worth a little extra (e.g if you can get the Genius second hand for £250 vs the Flow new at £220 I'd go for the Genius).

Top Bottom