Warning! Evacuate this fire hazard building ASAP!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I 'liked' that not because I like the situation but because it shows that there are some extremely deserving people waiting for housing while others, who have already been given accommodation, seem to abuse this service. Your example illustrates this perfectly.
I don't know if you'll read this Rocky,seeing as i'm supposed to be on your ignore list:rolleyes:,but there are some who pay their way in life and some who don't. The ones who pay usually get prioritised.:whistle:

potsy

Rambler
Oh dear :headshake:

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I've been talking to a couple who have a flat on the block where the purple painted flat is.They let me have a look at theirs.I must say,they've done it up really nice. I'm now thinking about taking the "purple flat". I know it'll cost a bit to do it up,but it is in a nice area and it's a first floor flat. There wouldn't be anyone above me which gives me peace of mind as i don't like the thought of someone living over me, for noise reasons. The "immaculate" flats i mentioned earlier are both ground floor ones with someone living above,so the grotty one does have that as an advantage.

Last edited:

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I've been talking to a couple who have a flat on the block where the purple painted flat is.They let me have a look at theirs.I must say,they've done it up really nice. I'm now thinking about taking the "purple flat". I know it'll cost a bit to do it up,but it is in a nice area and it's a first floor flat. There wouldn't be anyone above me which gives me peace of mind as i don't like the thought of someone living over me, for noise reasons. The "immaculate" flats i mentioned earlier are both ground floor ones with someone living above,so the grotty one does have that as an advantage.
Not followed this completely, but if the area is ok I really don't know what the problem is. A home is what you make it, whether it is a 7 bedroom mansion on a few acres or a single room with shared bathroom and toilet. For me the area and neighbours would be the most important as they are the things you cannot control. Everything inside you can control and do what you want with it to make it a home.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Homebase have three-for-two offers on paint and wallpaper, Accy. You'll need lining paper to cover the purple paint, as it will probably bleed through if you try to paint straight over it.

That my good lady is sound advice

I found out the hard way after my step child had a crazy colour phase :banghead: dark blue skirting and doors are also an interesting proposition when they get over the phase :laugh:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Homebase have three-for-two offers on paint and wallpaper, Accy. You'll need lining paper to cover the purple paint, as it will probably bleed through if you try to paint straight over it.

I do know a bit about painting and decorating Tiny,seeing as i did my 3 year apprenticeship in it. I didn't last long though as it's such a boring job. "90 percent preparation 10 application" said one of my mentors at the time. You'd spend most of the time steaming wallpaper off,rubbing down skirting boards,burning the paint off windows and doors etc. It was so boring! Anyway,the chap below me just happens to be one of those mentors. I've mentioned this before in this thread. He said he'd give me a lift to do the flat up. That's very good of him seeing as he's now 82 years old. I've been working it out roughly how much it'll cost to do the place up. £500 to carpet throughout. £100 for paint and £250 for a decent second hand oven. I haven't worked out how much curtains will be yet. I was looking at local private rents, on the internet last night. Ok,some might be in better nick than the purple flat,but i'd have to stump up around £400 for a deposit and seeing as i haven't got my deposit back yet from the "fire hazard" place i'm a little dubious about putting another deposit down. I do now think that this flat would be better than the supposed immaculate ones. The big thing for me is not having someone living above me and as i said earlier the "immaculate" flats are ground floor, with one floor above. My fear is that someone noisy could either live there or move in one day and make my life a misery. I just cannot stand noise,especially anti - social noise! The couple i was talking to last night,who live in one of the flats i'm thinking about taking live on the ground floor and while their flat is very nice they told me that the young couple above do tend to drop things and this is made worse as the above flat isn't carpeted. So it looks like i'll be taking the purple flat after all. I'm going to ask the housing association if they'll let me have it rent free for a week while i do it up. I don't want to move my furniture and other belongings in then start decorating, and it'd be so much easier for the carpet fitters to do their job without having to move furniture around.

Edit....On the subject of ovens,maybe one of these would be better than a full sized conventional oven? http://www.argos.co.uk/product/4237233 I could then use the saved space to put my washing machine in.

Last edited:

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I do know a bit about painting and decorating Tiny,seeing as i did my 3 year apprenticeship in it. I didn't last long though as it's such a boring job. "90 percent preparation 10 application" said one of my mentors at the time. You'd spend most of the time steaming wallpaper off,rubbing down skirting boards,burning the paint off windows and doors etc. It was so boring! Anyway,the chap below me just happens to be one of those mentors. I've mentioned this before in this thread. He said he'd give me a lift to do the flat up. That's very good of him seeing as he's now 82 years old. I've been working it out roughly how much it'll cost to do the place up. £500 to carpet throughout. £100 for paint and £250 for a decent second hand oven. I haven't worked out how much curtains will be yet. I was looking at local private rents, on the internet last night. Ok,some might be in better nick than the purple flat,but i'd have to stump up around £400 for a deposit and seeing as i haven't got my deposit back yet from the "fire hazard" place i'm a little dubious about putting another deposit down. I do now think that this flat would be better than the supposed immaculate ones. The big thing for me is not having someone living above me and as i said earlier the "immaculate" flats are ground floor, with one floor above. My fear is that someone noisy could either live there or move in one day and make my life a misery. I just cannot stand noise,especially anti - social noise! The couple i was talking to last night,who live in one of the flats i'm thinking about taking live on the ground floor and while their flat is very nice they told me that the young couple above do tend to drop things and this is made worse as the above flat isn't carpeted. So it looks like i'll be taking the purple flat after all. I'm going to ask the housing association if they'll let me have it rent free for a week while i do it up. I don't want to move my furniture and other belongings in then start decorating, and it'd be so much easier for the carpet fitters to do their job without having to move furniture around.
You don't have to move in to perfection! I lived in a lovely Studio flat for 15 years in sunny South Norwood SE London, with my now wife. We loved it, everyone in our family thought we were crackers. We still reminisce about how happy we were there and how everyone in our familes looked down on us. I could even walk to the Football! We were ground floor the area had really started to go down hill in the last 3/4 years there, a lot of the flats had become buy to lets so noise was a problem. We then started to get broken in to and I had 6 cars stolen. We still hadn't considered moving really but we had to when we had my eldest.

If we didn't have kids living at home and there was one in a nice area I would downsize in a shot! Houses are much like cars in the UK its partly ego and value driven not home driven.

Last edited:
Top Bottom