Was this bus driver bad?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

col

Legendary Member
Cab said:
Now that you've found out that your definition of a safe distance to overtake isn't really as far as it should be, will you be passing further away?

Oh, and except for really wide roads (where theres room for two lanes) you really must cross on to the other side to overtake a cyclist.

read my post for the answer?Your either being sarcastic,or having a laugh.What are you on about when you say my definition of a safe distance isnt as far as it should be,and am i passing further?where have i said i dont?I said it hasnt worried me when others pass me.

I meant the other lane,for oncoming vehicles,if they are not coming towards me that is.(thought id say that,in case you start dissecting)

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Nethalus, if you see my previous post on the topic, that stuff is all in your interaction zone. You don't need hiviz to be able to see a cyclist there.

col

Legendary Member
Cab said:
Yet demonstrably you feel safe with cars passing closer than is safe; three and a half feet is, at any decent pace at all, too close. Your definition of safe overtaking distance is poor.

You really assume a lot dont you?I am talking about when others pass me on my bike,what are you hinting at?Oh i forgot,you twist meanings and then throw hints, or in a roundabout
way insults at people dont you.Ill repeat this for your benefit,I will leave as much space as i can,going onto the other side of the road sometimes,and sometimes i cant,but IF ITS NOT SAFE,I WONT PASS you will obviously come back and say im doing something wrong,then say im bad/poor/dangerous or at least hint it,so really i dont know why im trying to explain myself to you,especailly when all i said was that i havnt been frightened,or made to feel in danger,when im passed by vehicles.Or are you going to go off on another tangent,and try to pick me to bits on how many candle power my lights are,and that im a poor cyclist or driver because of it.Oh hang on,you can have a go at me ,because i actually dont mind giving way to faster ,bigger vehicles,and you can go on to say how dangerous a cyclist this makes me,because i obviously dont have a grasp on my cycling rights,which in the knock on effect ,will cause other cyclists to be put in danger,because i choose to give way,instead of sticking to my guns,because i have the right to.Yes your right Cab,im a terrible cyclist,a danger to all and sundry,i had better not bother cycling anymore,because i dont want to be the cause of an accident.Or am i barking up the wrong tree,and you want to pick me to bits on the type of oil i use on my chain,because it might gunge up and cause a bad gear shift,which in turn will make me wobble,and this then causes a cyclist behind me to swerve ect ect,christ,i didnt realise how bad and dangerous a cyclist i was.I think i should thank you cab,not only have you saved me from self harm,but probably harming others too,because im obviously very poor at overtaking cyclists,and my perception of distance is atrotious.

domtyler

Über Member
Come on Col, don't take it personally. You seem to be getting emotionally involved again when this is just a 'debate' about road safety on an internet cycling forum between strangers.

col

Legendary Member
domtyler said:
Come on Col, don't take it personally. You seem to be getting emotionally involved again when this is just a 'debate' about road safety on an internet cycling forum between strangers.

Im just frustrated that cab continually assumes things,then calls you for something that really doesnt have anything to do with what your origionally talking about,for example,i dont feel threatened when cars pass me,but according to cab,that means i have poor distance judgment when i pass cyclists?There are others,but i cant be bothered going looking for them,suffice to say,cab is either purposely winding me and others up,or he is a troll,going on his description,again in the past hinting as ussual.

Cab

col said:
read my post for the answer?Your either being sarcastic,or having a laugh.What are you on about when you say my definition of a safe distance isnt as far as it should be,and am i passing further?where have i said i dont?I said it hasnt worried me when others pass me.

I meant the other lane,for oncoming vehicles,if they are not coming towards me that is.(thought id say that,in case you start dissecting)

Yes, I also mean the other lane, for oncoming vehicles.

I can't make this any simpler for you; if you're overtaking a bicycle, on pretty much any normal road, and you don't cross in to the other lane, then you're overtaking too close. You've said that you sometimes cross in to the other lane; is it just on roads with really wide lanes that you don't do so then? Are you normally driving on really wide laned roads?

If you are cycling in a position such that you're making it possible to overtake closely without crossing into the other lane, then you're riding in a position more submissive even than a good secondary position. Secondary position is out of the gutter, no closer than a foot and a half out. You still have to be gone around in that position, a vehicle passing safely still has to go into the other lane on nearly all roads.

You feel it is safe to be overtaken by about 1m (think you said three and a half feet); I'm saying, and others have said, that at most speeds thats a very slim bare minimum. Your definition of safe overtaking is too lenient, that ain't a safe distance. If you're overtaking bikes as closely as you're happy being overtaken, stop doing it.

Cab

col said:
You really assume a lot dont you?I am talking about when others pass me on my bike,what are you hinting at?Oh i forgot,you twist meanings and then throw hints, or in a roundabout
way insults at people dont you.Ill repeat this for your benefit,I will leave as much space as i can,going onto the other side of the road sometimes,and sometimes i cant,but IF ITS NOT SAFE,I WONT PASS you will obviously come back and say im doing something wrong,then say im bad/poor/dangerous or at least hint it,so really i dont know why im trying to explain myself to you,especailly when all i said was that i havnt been frightened,or made to feel in danger,when im passed by vehicles.

You feel safe being overtaken more closely than is appropriate. Or, in other words, the distance you feel safe being overtaken is too close. Do you overtake that close, yes or no?

You've also said that you sometimes cross on to the other lane to overtake; really, it should be your norm that you overtake using the other lane unless a cycle has moved aside to give you extra room to pass, as overtaking three feet or so from the bike is too close. Do you overtake as closely as you've said you're happy being overtaken, yes or no?

(remainder of incoherent rant cut, unread).

Cab

col said:
Im just frustrated that cab continually assumes things,then calls you for something that really doesnt have anything to do with what your origionally talking about,for example,i dont feel threatened when cars pass me,but according to cab,that means i have poor distance judgment when i pass cyclists?

No, it was phrased as a question. You've said that you don't think that such close overtaking is too close, so I've put it to you that it is important to take a step back and assess whether you're asking others to live by your own (erroneous) assumption. Fair question. Answer it please.

There are others,but i cant be bothered going looking for them,suffice to say,cab is either purposely winding me and others up,or he is a troll,going on his description,again in the past hinting as ussual.

No one hinted anything; if you're overtaking that closely then you're endangering cyclists. In encouraging such close overtaking when you're on your bike you are, for no real gain, increasing your own risk. We know you're doing the latter, and to be honest I don't care so much. It follows though that you should assess whether you're overtaking as closely as you're happy being overtaken, and your comment about 'sometimes' crossing in to the other lane does imply otherwise. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

I note that you haven't actually answered that question, despite multiple rants about being asked it.

col

Legendary Member
Cab said:
No, it was phrased as a question. You've said that you don't think that such close overtaking is too close, so I've put it to you that it is important to take a step back and assess whether you're asking others to live by your own (erroneous) assumption. Fair question. Answer it please.

No one hinted anything; if you're overtaking that closely then you're endangering cyclists. In encouraging such close overtaking when you're on your bike you are, for no real gain, increasing your own risk. We know you're doing the latter, and to be honest I don't care so much. It follows though that you should assess whether you're overtaking as closely as you're happy being overtaken, and your comment about 'sometimes' crossing in to the other lane does imply otherwise. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

I note that you haven't actually answered that question, despite multiple rants about being asked it.

I didnt answer it because as usual,you assumed ,and didnt even know the answer to it,before passing judgment.Your insulting way with words,is enough to try the patience of a saint.And all your ranting about wether i leave enough room while overtaking,is based on your wrong assumption,and you grilling me on that very question,is making something out of nothing,as usual,just like your excuse of,if your overtaking too closely,and you hinted nothing?well if you tell me my judgement is poor ,on only your assumption that i dont leave enough space when i pass a cyclist,what else would you call it?actually i was wrong,it wasnt a hint,you made the statement,on nothing more than your own opinion.Your obviously trolling here,what other reason would there be for your so detailed interogation type questions,?

Oh i forgot to point out,that i only pass if it s safe too.And as someone who has driven probably more hours on busy roads,than you have, as well as doing it for a living,i feel im slightly more clued up on what would be safe and not safe,to do in a vehicle,when approaching slower vehicles. Could you tell me what your qualifications are,as to why you seem to feel able to question me in this manner?

And i have only said i havnt been scared or felt in danger at being passed ,also that three and a half feet,was from your link.And i have been passed probably that close,but not felt threatened by it,its reality,a lot of cars do pass that close,if you cant deal with reality,then you shouldnt be there.
Again,list your qualifications,please?

And a safe pass to me is half a lane between me and the bike,depending on the situation.But then im probably wrong there too.

col

Legendary Member
Cab said:
Yes, I also mean the other lane, for oncoming vehicles.

I can't make this any simpler for you; if you're overtaking a bicycle, on pretty much any normal road, and you don't cross in to the other lane, then you're overtaking too close. You've said that you sometimes cross in to the other lane; is it just on roads with really wide lanes that you don't do so then? Are you normally driving on really wide laned roads?

If you are cycling in a position such that you're making it possible to overtake closely without crossing into the other lane, then you're riding in a position more submissive even than a good secondary position. Secondary position is out of the gutter, no closer than a foot and a half out. You still have to be gone around in that position, a vehicle passing safely still has to go into the other lane on nearly all roads.

You feel it is safe to be overtaken by about 1m (think you said three and a half feet); I'm saying, and others have said, that at most speeds thats a very slim bare minimum. Your definition of safe overtaking is too lenient, that ain't a safe distance. If you're overtaking bikes as closely as you're happy being overtaken, stop doing it.

If your as much of an peanut as you seem to be,give yourself a wipe,cos your full of it.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
I'm an honest British cyclist and choose to ride with one foot on the pavement at all times.

All overtaking should be done with every respect to other road users as should the exchanges on this forum?

Cab, I again have to point out that philibuster of such nagging and Titanic proportions based on what is only twisted assumption alone, gets right on peoples tits.

You are in sight of the video camera mounted on the head of my trusty Giraffe................

T x

Cab

col said:
I didnt answer it because as usual,you assumed ,and didnt even know the answer to it,before passing judgment.

Mhhh hm. I asked you a question, you didn't answer. I didn't imply that you do things a certain way, I said that if you overtake as you are happy to be overtaken then your're doing it wrong.

Remember, you said:
About three and a half feet is a decent gap

Do you pass cyclists that close? If you do, you are overtaking too close. You've said there thats a 'decent gap'; do you pass cyclists that close, yes or no?

Your insulting way with words,is enough to try the patience of a saint.

Despite considerable provocation I have not insulted you.

And all your ranting about wether i leave enough room while overtaking,is based on your wrong assumption,and you grilling me on that very question,is making something out of nothing,as usual,just like your excuse of,if your overtaking too closely,and you hinted nothing?

Tiresome.

You are happy to be overtaken with a wee bit over three feet of room. Do you thus overtake cyclists that closely, yes or no?

well if you tell me my judgement is poor

I have told you that your judgement is poor based on your cycling position. I have asked how close you pass cyclists. Answer.

,on only your assumption that i dont leave enough space when i pass a cyclist,what else would you call it?actually i was wrong,it wasnt a hint,you made the statement,on nothing more than your own opinion.Your obviously trolling here,what other reason would there be for your so detailed interogation type questions,?

That doesn't even make sense as a set of statements; it doesn't follow from what you've been asked in any way, and in itself its pretty much meaningless.

Oh i forgot to point out,that i only pass if it s safe too.

You've said that before.

Do you pass as closely as you (erroenously) feel safe being overtaken, i.e. about three and a bit feet? Do you overtake without crossing on to the other lane much of the time (you have previously claimed that you do; thats too close)?

And as someone who has driven probably more hours on busy roads,than you have, as well as doing it for a living,i feel im slightly more clued up on what would be safe and not safe,to do in a vehicle,when approaching slower vehicles. Could you tell me what your qualifications are,as to why you seem to feel able to question me in this manner?

My qualification is that I'm right, nothing more. Don't need any more, truth be told; if you're overtaking as closely as you claim to be happy being overtaken then you could have a Ph.D. in overtaking and still be wrong.

(again, further ranting cut).

You claim to overtake safely. Bottom line; how close is that?

Top Bottom