Was this bus driver bad?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
tdr1nka said:
We at Tdr1nka Towers salute you, and give way everytime to Omnibus driving Public servants, like your good self!

Don't worry about Cab, he must have dropped his sliderule down the stereogram........

T x

The above section was directed at Nethalus and not Cab.

And I meant to include Mr. Paul in the comments for Cab.

T x

Cab

BentMikey said:
I don't see her trying to justify it. She fessed up it was wrong, and that's all.

Cab, I think you're getting a little out of hand here. I think you should chill before it gets any more embarrassing.

I think you're being far too lenient on her behaviour; she's fessed up that her response to the cyclists (really fairly polite) comment was wrong, as you say. But it is appropriate to reinforce the point that in other lines of work that would be a very serious matter, nor is it wrong to point out that having a list of bad stuff thats happened to you on the road has got no bearing at allon this situation.

But most important, I want Nethalus to try to see this from the likely perspective of the cyclist. A bus pulled out into space that the cyclist was moving in to, the cyclist would have been scared, intimidated and rather shocked. Nethalus doesn't seem to appreciate that its the cyclists call to let her out or not, its the decision of whichever road user is in the main carriageway to decide whether or not it is safe to slow or stop and let the bus out. Just having signalled doesn't make it a safe manoevre; Nethalus needs to learn that.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Lenient, LOL!

I know we said Cambridge was an old city, I never figured for Currently;Medieval!

Please, please, please can someone explain to me why on earth a bus driver might be on a cycling Forum if they don't actually ride a bike, hence nix most of Mr. Pauls & Cabs verbiage?

This is reminding me of the Interview Technique films that John Cleese made for schools!

Tx

Don't worry Nethulas, I can type all day if need be!

col

Legendary Member
Of course. But when you're in paid employment, representing a public service, you're accountable to them. You have a responsibility. It's not an acceptable standard of behaviour.

I totally agree.so what about cyclists who have shouted or tried to damage the vehicle that threatens them?:becool:

col

Legendary Member
Cab said:
None of which excuses you being abusive to an entirely different person.

And that doesn't excuse you being abusive to another road user entirely either.

Which again doesn't mean that the cyclist you were making rude gestures at was fair game.

So what are you saying, its okay for you as a supposed professional driver to abuse other people on the roads? But you've just said that you know what you did was wrong. Make up your mind.

You know what you did was wrong. You also know that you can't justify it based on the cyclists actions because (according to your first posting) the cyclist wasn't even rude to you, he actually thanked you, I presume intentionally so that you would have to be most unreasonable to actually abuse the cyclist; its a tactic used by many here. You also know that the cyclist may well have been cycling entirely within the law, yet you assumed otherwise. You base your conclusion that the cyclist should definitely have let you out on an incomplete understanding of what the cyclist was doing, as is entirely clear from the fact that you hadn't even seen the cyclist when you started pulling out. You are therefore in no position to judge whether the cyclist could safely have stopped to let you out.

I don't see why we're having this discussion. We all agree that if it is safe to let a bus out then you should, but its also clear that your manoevre and your subsequent behaviour were both inappropriate.

We only agree on the fingers,not the manoever;)

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
"Hold very tight please" cue my HUGE trike bell!

T x

col

Legendary Member
That's very naughty. I don't know where they'd be able to sack you from though. The CTC? Greenpeace? BNP?

Thats my point,cyclists have a responsibilty to put forward a good appearance too dont they? Or is it only people in paid jobs that have to be very good all the time?And because your not paid.....?:becool:

Cab

col said:
Thats my point,cyclists have a responsibilty to put forward a good appearance too dont they? Or is it only people in paid jobs that have to be very good all the time?And because your not paid.....?;)

There is a good argument that we have a duty to each other as cyclists not to get a bad name. I kind of see that, and would hold that cyclists who visibly flout the law and who needlessly give people aggro are a bad example. But thats as far as I'd go; an individual cycling out and about on their own is an individual, not responsible for or accountable to an employer.

col

Legendary Member
Cab said:
There is a good argument that we have a duty to each other as cyclists not to get a bad name. I kind of see that, and would hold that cyclists who visibly flout the law and who needlessly give people aggro are a bad example. But thats as far as I'd go; an individual cycling out and about on their own is an individual, not responsible for or accountable to an employer.

But we are all still individuals,and being so have different reactions to things,some will react badly some wont,Sticking the fingers up,because someone was being sarcastic to you,isnt as bad as things that do happen.So i do think this is being blown up out of proportion really.

Cab

col said:
But we are all still individuals,and being so have different reactions to things,some will react badly some wont,Sticking the fingers up,because someone was being sarcastic to you,isnt as bad as things that do happen.So i do think this is being blown up out of proportion really.

I go back to the point that when representing an employer, such behaviour in most jobs would get you into serious hot water, if not simply sacked. Nethalus seems to believe that bus drivers should be granted more license to be rude to the public than, say, people working in a shop or a bank. I can't see a good argument for that.

Tynan

Veteran
this would seem to be about setting up rules that help prove one side of the argument

I'd rather people were themselves rather than than a drone, we're talking about a bus driver ffs, with a proud tradition of being robust and defiant in the throbbing hurley burley of the London rush hour

and it was only two fingers in response, not gun fire

Top Bottom