washing machine woes...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Every now and then, my washing machine doesn't pump out the water which suggests the pump has gone.

I undo the hose on the back and drain it manually into a couple of buckets, reconnect the hose and try another full wash cycle... and each time after I've drained it by hand it successfully pumps out the water, which suggests the pump hasn't gone.

It gets used a couple of times a week and fails to drain itself maybe once every three or four months.

Any ideas how i can suss out this intermittent fault?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Could be gunk - have you tried running some 'washing machine cleaner' through it. Also check the drain filter.

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

Could be gunk - have you tried running some 'washing machine cleaner' through it. Also check the drain filter.
Not tried running a cleaner through it.

The water that drains out when i do it by hand is pretty clean looking... and if the pump is full of gunk, surely it'd fail to drain the second time?

but yes... I think I need to pull it out and have a good look at the pump.

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

I'm thinking in the pipes or the filter (usually on the front). Draining by hand just might shift something. Worth a try !!
There is a removable panel on the front, with a hole behind that looks like it's to allow access the pump or filter or something.... but it's only 3" diameter and there's no way i (or any adult male) could get their hand through it. I'll have to drag it out and go in from below.

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

It's the piece of the pump that actually removes the water from the machine. It may just require cleaning, not replacing.

The pump may well be upwards of £60, the impeller generally less than £10
Thanks for that. I'll whip out the pump and give it a good clean/service.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Common on my LG type machine.

Pump clogs, so a strip clean makes it quiet again and work.
Dead easy to clean But take photos for pipes and connection of wires ect

Also as @Katherine has said, sometimes they won't pump but this tends to be at the spin and not mid wash water change.

Could be the control panel which is a plug into lap top diagnosis as a rule.

It won't be a broken impeller, as if it was it would not pump

siadwell

Guru
Our Siemens washing machine has recently started to play up occasionally - it doesn't complete the cycle and stops with 1 minute on the countdown and the drum full of water.

We think that there is an electrical fault in the socket and I found on google that this sometimes upsets the controller in the machine so it doesn't finish the cycle. The way to work around it is to turn the machine off for 10-15 minutes, then everything resets itself and you can run a spin/empty programme to get the water out.

Top Bottom