Washing Machines

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I have a secondhand hotpoint somethingorother.
I do a wash a week and it’s doing fine, I have had it 5 years. Use those deep clean tablet things once in a while. Today I scrubbed out the soap dispenser tray thing. It’s not making any noises and seems to be doing well so far.

My old hotpoint, 2nd hand early 90s did wonderful work until it’s demise in 2002. They last if you look after them. Family of 5 and always in use, I reckon 5 years is not too shoddy if the poor machine is on daily.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
I once read a report from Which regarding the longevity of washing machines(yes my life has actually come to this). The conclusion of the report was that they all are more or less designed to last a few years say 3-5 and use the same standard components. The only exception to this was Miele which had better components but obviously was a lot more expensive.
I'd just get a basic Hoover or Hotpoint one but with a fast spin, 1400 or so. When it breaks it breaks.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Plus the old machines drew water from your hot supply too so didn't need an element in the machine to heat the water from cold like all the new machines do since they all seem to be cold feed only now.
This is on purpose as for the majority of people all the hot feed did was to feed in cold water that was sitting around in the pipe and then draw hot water into the pipe where it did no good except sit there cooling. So in effect people were heating the water twice.

OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
The boys been and gone today , would have had it fixed on Friday last week if he carried that spare but alas he had to order it in . Hopefully that’s it and no more bother !

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
Our Bosch WFF 2000 is still going strong after about 25 years of constant use. During this time all I’ve had to do is fit replacement motor brushes, replace the pump and replace the door seal (all of which is standard maintenance that I was able to carry out myself).
Well my 25+ year washing machine has finally suffered a catastrophic failure - the inner drum that spins has become completely detached and is rattling around inside the outer drum that holds the water.

classic33

Leg End Member
Well my 25+ year washing machine has finally suffered a catastrophic failure - the inner drum that spins has become completely detached and is rattling around inside the outer drum that holds the water.
Where did the bearings go?

OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
The boys been and gone today , would have had it fixed on Friday last week if he carried that spare but alas he had to order it in . Hopefully that’s it and no more bother !
As mentioned in another of my posts ! This wasn’t the last repair . It ended up being scrapped and replaced for new under warranty with an upgrade !

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
Where did the bearings go?
I was wondering that too :wacko:

I took the back off the washing machine and the outer drum looks fine from the outside. Unfortunately my lower back is currently in no state to be taking a 25 year old washing machine drum apart in a confined utility room so it’s time for a new machine. I’ll re-read this thread to see which manufacturers get favorable comments, but I’m currently leaning towards another Bosch.

Last edited:
Top Bottom