Wasn't expecting that

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
D

DRM

Guru
Thats a good outcome, the problem has been sorted, today is the first day of the rest of your life, rest up & get well, you will soon be home, :okay:

D

Deleted member 1258

well my main artery was blocked, got it cleared and stented, surgeon surprised i had got this far without expiring, recovering now, what a week

It's good to hear you've got it sorted, the come back trail is next, just take your time and listen to your body.

Effyb4

Veteran
I'm wishing you both well soon. My story is on the other thread, but I just wanted to say that you certainly can get back to cycling. I am far fitter now than I was before my heart attack and double bypass surgery. Just take it slowly at first and do what the cardiac rehab team tell you to do. It was 3 months before I was allowed back on the bike, but I think that was mainly due to the open heart surgery, which needed to heal.

Drago

Legendary Member
My Dad had a triple bypass in the 1970's after a heart attack on the way home after shoveling snow with me. He lived 20 more years despite the somewhat dicey(at that time) operation, kept on exercising as well. Considering diet, occupation, and family history, as well as age(He was 60 at the time of his heart attack,) He went on to age 83, in fine health except for a bout with leukemia, and having survived cancer in his forties, until his last days. So it is perfectly acceptable, with physicians' guidance, to enter into an exercise program again after a heart attack. I had a problem myself in that region, and was told that if I didn't exercise there would be far greater problems. I had an episode while out walking the dog, and passed out cold, to find the energetic puppy licking my face . I got back on the bicycle after that .
On a related note, I recently read that people over the age of 50 should not shovel snow. Apparently it's a perfect storm of physical exertion combined with low temperatures that cause arteries to constrict, hence Americans dropping like flies with snow shovels in their hands.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
On a related note, I recently read that people over the age of 50 should not shovel snow. Apparently it's a perfect storm of physical exertion combined with low temperatures that cause arteries to constrict, hence Americans dropping like flies with snow shovels in their hands.
I have to have regular blood tests to check that I am getting the correct dosage of Warfarin. In the winter I found that I have to wear a glove for at least 20 minutes beforehand else the phlebotomist struggles to get blood out of my cold fingers.

I take much more care now to keep my arms and legs warm in cool conditions to help the blood flow freely in my arteries and veins.

Haitch

Flim Flormally
In June last year I had a series of strokes (transient ischaemic attacks, to get all medical). I know of at least two because they happened while I was working, but the neurologist pointed to the printout from the MER scan and said there had been more (almost dead in my sleep!). Nothing to be done, take some anti-cholesterol pills and blood thinners and all would be well. In July I had a heart attack, and in August I had open heart surgery and five by-passes grafted by a surgeon who looked 17 years old. This July I cycled to Prague and came back via Hamburg, 2,500 km. I can't speak for anyone else but I feel fitter than I have in years. You're encouraged here (in Holland) to get as active as quickly as possible. I was discharged within a week of the operation and walking 25 km per day within the next week. The only downside is a carrier bag full of medicines to be taken everyday but at least I can console myself with the probably-misplaced confidence that I've had nearly all my major health scares now (only cancer to go) and can look forward to a long and healthy remainder of my three score and ten. Hope all goes well for you.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Combined with existing issues. Mainly, it is the people who don't take any exercise, then have to get up and move a few tons of snow in a short period of time before they go to work that seem to have this sort of thing. Not saying it can't happen to anyone at any time. But many Americans spend too much time watching football instead of playing it. Or getting other exercise. Part of this is because of exercise not being promoted, or made a cultural habit, as in the past, and the other is what I have observed as a high level of stress and mental exhaustion in the workplace. (I could prattle on about this, and how it's for naught, but it's just mathematics and common sense).

Top Bottom