Wasn't expecting that

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dianelc

Went out sunday 25th September for the usual sunday morning ride, about half way round felt a bit cold & achy in the chest & generally not feeling right. made it home and got showered thinking I would be ok, however it didn't improve, wound up in an ambulance off to hospital & it turns out it was a heart attack, so I'm now full of meds, off the bike, slowly coming round to the idea that it's going to be a case of start all over again as far as cycling fitness goes, however the cardiac rehab team have been in touch, and I will be starting an exercise regime to get me back to where I was fitness wise, meanwhile I have been told to do a 5 minute walk & build on that, however I certainly know I've been out! it so tiring!
Anyway, has anyone here been through this, & if so how did you get on? the main thing is I'm here to tell the tale, and as far as riding the bike goes, as Arnie said "I'll be back" :okay: I ain't giving in just yet.
Heart attacks happen for different reasons and many heart "issues" are missed from birth. We hear of many fit and healthy people who suffer severely from undiagnosed heart conditions. I assume your issues are not from lifestyle abuse therefore this could be a positive "warning" of an underlying cause that is now investigated thoroughly and you will now know what this means for your future and may not limit your cycling. All the best for your recovery x

postman

Legendary Member
Just catching up after being away for a few days.all the best from here,take care.

tfg71

Not so good. I was in a similar situation in may 2015. Luckily I ended up with a stent and am still in meds. Take it easy getting back to fitness I was surprised how my Attack had affected me. I had 12 weeks cardio rehab and felt a bit strange as I was the youngest at it and thought this will be easy. Turns out I was wrong but with the rehab and everyday walking the dogs I got there.

Paul Bromley

All the best for a speedy recovery - my story can be found on the cardiac arrest survivors thread in the health forum

All I can say is I promised the wife to stay off the bike for a year even though I was itching to get back in the saddle. I spent the year doing the gym stuff/turbo sessions and can "hand on heart" (sorry) say I feel I have improved as a cyclist - why I don't know - cross training maybe

bladesman73

Über Member
am writing this from a hospital bed, just had a small heart attack, my first one at 43. devastated. hope u r doing fine. i need some positive stories from others who have gone thru the same

OP
OP
D

DRM

Guru
GWS. My dad got back to cycling after his heart attack, so I hope you do too.
Perhaps the bike was too heavy and you need a lighter one for health reasons?:whistle:
I have been told to try & avoid stressfull situations, if another carbon bike showed up I could well find myself back in hospital due to a stressfull situation :laugh:
am writing this from a hospital bed, just had a small heart attack, my first one at 43. devastated. hope u r doing fine. i need some positive stories from others who have gone thru the same
So sorry to hear that, have the doctors told you what they intend to do? I'm guessing you will be having an angiogram, where if a stent is needed you will get one at the same time, just take it easy and try not to worry about the procedure, it really isn't that bad, I say that as a bit of a wuss with these things! try to stay positive, if it helps two weeks on I can feel myself getting stronger, and I am able to do more each day, as I am sure you will too, the rehab nurse came round today and put me down for the exercise programme (as opposed to Lance Armstrongs program) and said you will be back out on that bike :wahhey:so rest up for now, and get well soon :hugs:

Top Bottom