Wasn't expecting that

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Glad you're still with us! Have the rehab team given you any clue when you'll be allowed to ride again? I'd have thought it may be more beneficial than walking in some ways.

(Also glad you don't live in Essex, where un(der)trained crews are sent out in private ambulances masquerading as NHS staff.)

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Gawd :eek: GWS DRM :hugs:

Drago

Legendary Member
Good luck with the recovery my friend. I had a' stress' cardio myopathy last year brought about by another underlying illness, but 18 months on I'm probably fitter than I have been for 20 years.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
My Dad had a triple bypass in the 1970's after a heart attack on the way home after shoveling snow with me. He lived 20 more years despite the somewhat dicey(at that time) operation, kept on exercising as well. Considering diet, occupation, and family history, as well as age(He was 60 at the time of his heart attack,) He went on to age 83, in fine health except for a bout with leukemia, and having survived cancer in his forties, until his last days. So it is perfectly acceptable, with physicians' guidance, to enter into an exercise program again after a heart attack. I had a problem myself in that region, and was told that if I didn't exercise there would be far greater problems. I had an episode while out walking the dog, and passed out cold, to find the energetic puppy licking my face . I got back on the bicycle after that .

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Get well soon!
Ask the docs about riding, I presume exercise is good in moderation in such cases.

D

Deleted member 1258

Went out sunday 25th September for the usual sunday morning ride, about half way round felt a bit cold & achy in the chest & generally not feeling right. made it home and got showered thinking I would be ok, however it didn't improve, wound up in an ambulance off to hospital & it turns out it was a heart attack, so I'm now full of meds, off the bike, slowly coming round to the idea that it's going to be a case of start all over again as far as cycling fitness goes, however the cardiac rehab team have been in touch, and I will be starting an exercise regime to get me back to where I was fitness wise, meanwhile I have been told to do a 5 minute walk & build on that, however I certainly know I've been out! it so tiring!
Anyway, has anyone here been through this, & if so how did you get on? the main thing is I'm here to tell the tale, and as far as riding the bike goes, as Arnie said "I'll be back" :okay: I ain't giving in just yet.

Best wishes for a quick and full recovery. Have a read through this thread here if you've not seen it before, https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/any-survivors-on-here-cardiac-arrest-heart-attack-cancer.164623/

I got away without the heart attack, I just had angina and ended up being stented. just listen to your doctors, listen to your body and take your time, don't try and rush back, you should be able to recover to very close to where you were.

OP
OP
D

DRM

Guru
Thank you all for your kind words & good wishes, I have yet to see the rehab nurse, but they have arranged a home visit, so I'll see what they say then, I keep doing a bit more each day & the 5 minute walk became 10 minutes today, which although it isn't much is more than the prevous two days.
I was picked up by Yorkshire ambulance service who were very good, but up here we also have several private ambulance companies too, I am glad that I had taken up cycling, mainly because I love it, & I think this has made me fitter than I have been for a long time, & perhaps made this thing rear it's ugly head now, rather than later when things could have been worse/harder to deal with, and as Steve in denmark says, at least it's winter, have a break & crack on later, I suppose I can always visit the sports center & use the gym gear over winter, then hit the road in spring.

OP
OP
D

DRM

Guru
Best wishes for a quick and full recovery. Have a read through this thread here if you've not seen it before, https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/any-survivors-on-here-cardiac-arrest-heart-attack-cancer.164623/

I got away without the heart attack, I just had angina and ended up being stented. just listen to your doctors, listen to your body and take your time, don't try and rush back, you should be able to recover to very close to where you were.
I've had a read through that thread in the link, there are some very humbling & inspiring posts in there.

Top Bottom