Wasps in firewood

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Let it decay naturally in the wood as it has always done.
And what do you think the products of decay are?

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
That leads to disease in the woodland, latest one being 'Ash Dieback', forestry needs to be properly managed as it had been for thousands of years and gathering firewood has always been a part of that.
This isn’t quite right. Ash dieback is an air borne pathogen. Leaving dead wood doesn’t encourage ash dieback.
A healthy woodland contains a proportion of dead wood. Standing deadwood supports 400x more species than fallen deadwood. Most commercial firewood in UK is as a result of thinning operations, or the clearance of final cut timber on a rotation. Timber is no different from wheat or barley, just on a different lifecycle.
There are so many more targets to attack to save the planet before demanding the OP sticks his gas fire back in.
Let’s have a good look at the Amazob (edit to avoid silly linky - sorry Shaun, I’m not an Amazob fan) rain forest first.

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
This isn’t quite right. Ash dieback is an air borne pathogen. Leaving dead wood doesn’t encourage ash dieback.
A healthy woodland contains a proportion of dead wood. Standing deadwood supports 400x more species than fallen deadwood. Most commercial firewood in UK is as a result of thinning operations, or the clearance of final cut timber on a rotation. Timber is no different from wheat or barley, just on a different lifecycle.
There are so many more targets to attack to save the planet before demanding the OP sticks his gas fire back in.
Let’s have a good look at the Amazon rain forest first.
DSCN0072.JPG

:whistle:

Just missing the cat, and a glass of vino:cheers:

Screw the cat. Get the wine.

And here too...

IMG_3015_small.jpg

The other cat is welded to the radiator in the dining room.

I've never seen any wasps in my log stacks, but plenty of other insect life. And yes, I do leave deadfall in the garden. Which leads to some spectacular displays of fungi, lichens and mosses.

Top Bottom